ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

CalBoiler

All-American
Aug 15, 2001
Obviously, it would have been tough for Purdue to draw up a better scenario than the one they will now see in this shortened season. That said, and after watching some of the other leagues play, there are going to be a number of issues which will impact the season:
- How many players ultimately are available - It's probable that some team at some time will have a player or players test positive and be lost for three weeks, which in an 8 week season is huge, thus it's going to be critical to...

- Keep as many players healthy from the normal bumps and bruises you normally get during a season. To avoid unnecessary injuries, I think you'll see less contact in practices during camp and throughout the season. However, without the normal "cupcake" games many teams play to begin the season, it's likely to...

- Expect teams to come out sloppy, especially the first game or two of the season. For instance, Navy made a point to not tackle during their camp. Against, BYU, it was evident. It even carried over to their first half today against Tulane until they were able to shut out the Green Wave in the second half. In addition, look for numerous false starts, delays of game, turnovers, etc.; penalties that teams usually got out of their system either in normal camps or those first tune-up games. Making matters worse is that...

- It's "All Hands on Deck" this year as no player is losing a year of eligibility so the 4 Game Redshirt rule is out the window giving coaches the opportunity to play freshmen right away. Now, how many play is still up to the respective coaches. It's likely that a Ferentz or Fitzgerald may be reluctant to put frosh on the field as readily as what we've seen Brohm do, for instance. Even though they may be prone to mistakes, those extra freshmen will provide...

- Critical Depth. Without a bye week or two built in to the schedule, players are going to have to play through injuries that might otherwise cause them to sit. That's where depth, and more importantly, experienced depth will be a benefit. In that regard, what happened to Purdue last season and the plethora of injuries may turn out to be a benefit this season as many more players than usual received playing time, and not just in mop-up duty. The fact that Purdue lost so little off of their 2-deeps helps even more. I haven't analyzed the other teams in the West just yet, but I have a hard time believing any team returns more.

From a scheduling standpoint, a lot of the factors which normally can affect teams won't be in play this year. No fans, so no "White Outs" at PSU, "Black Outs" at Iowa, etc. taking away some of their home field advantages. Similarly, no Homecoming Crowds, no "Senior Day" sentimental sendoffs which can get teams playing above their weight. I think the "no fans" rule may also get revisited before the season. I could see a "students only", limited attendance scenario working and adding some life to the broadcasts. Even with limited fans, the home advantage is still diminished. Every team will have one instance of playing back to back games on the road. Every team will have one instance of playing back to back games at home. Of course, no bye weeks so no extra prep for some teams before big games. All in all, it's about the most level schedule I think we've seen in some time.

Specifically for Purdue:
- No long road trips. Farthest will be to Minneapolis (527 miles). Other trips will be to Illinois (93 miles), Madison (269 Miles) and IU (117 miles). Purdue avoids trips to PSU (540 Miles), Maryland (638 miles) and Rutgers (751 miles).
- Purdue's back to back road trip will be the Illinois/Wisconsin tandem. Having the shorter trip first should be a benefit.
- Purdue will play two teams (Illinois and IU) the week after they play Wisconsin. Traditionally, Wisconsin's style of play has worn down teams to the point where they have underperformed the week following.
- Purdue will play Nebraska in the second of their back to back road trip. Nebraska will play rival Iowa (the "Cornfrontation") the week prior. Should benefit Purdue.
- Along with Purdue, Northwestern is the only other West Division team to miss all of the East's "Big 3" (OSU, UM and PSU). That could easily put the November 14th contest with the Wildcats as a key game. Purdue, of course, gets Northwestern at home.

Finally, I think this is going to be a topsy-turvy rollercoaster ride of a season. There will be a lot of games who's outcome will make no sense. Say a Rutgers win against Michigan, or something similarly unthinkable. Purdue needs to do something it hasn't done in several seasons and that's, come out strong from game 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News