ADVERTISEMENT

Focus on the Positive: Blough

BoilerNGold013

True Freshman
Oct 26, 2014
I was down close to the field in the student section on Saturday afternoon. Not since Joey Elliott played have I been so impressed with a Purdue QB. For the first time in years, I was shocked when a Purdue QB threw an incompletion. Thats how accurate I felt Blough was yesterday. He had his misfires (i.e. the 2 and 8 over throw of Anthrop when it looked as if we were going to score the knock out punch) but all in all the guy showed he can make every throw on the field with accuracy and touch (short, mid range, deep ball)

-The dig route he threw to Yancy was a thing of beauty. Perfect touch and timing
- The two deep balls that he over threw, he only missed by about 3 yards.
- Blough said after the game that he liked throwing to that guy on the 2nd string WR b/c he has timing down with him and felt comfortable due to practicing with the 2nd string. Imagine what will happen when Blough gets the same time with the 1sts....

Whats that you say? It was BG's Defense that made him look good? They had no film on him? I counter that A) This was his first start as a Redshirt Frosh and he still put up 300 yards B) If Blough is going to be his accurate and mobile, film won't be able to tight him down like it did the last guy b/c DC will have to plan for multiple things.

I don't know if we will win another game this season b/c the O-line is (ugh) terrible as run blockers and almost as bad in pass protection and the Defense can't get a pass rush. But I do think we found a "gamer" at QB that will at least keep us in some games that we probably should be in this year and might steal a few wins.

Before this switch I had NO confidence that we would be competitive in any other games going forward but now there is at least a ray sun shine peaking through the clouds.

I was down close to the field in the student section on Saturday afternoon. Not since Joey Elliott played have I been so impressed with a Purdue QB. For the first time in years, I was shocked when a Purdue QB threw an incompletion. Thats how accurate I felt Blough was yesterday.

That interception was the receiver's fault.

I want to be positive about Blough partly because I want the kid to do well and partly because I'm desperate to be positive about anything. He put up good numbers Saturday and looked confident and in control while doing it. That said, the defense was mediocre as you pointed out.

My enthusiasm remains curbed, though, as I recall that Danny Etling was supposed to be the silver lining in 2013, and Appleby was supposed to be the spark last year.

Right now, it just seems like I've seen this movie before, and it doesn't end well.

All this changing quarterbacks makes it look like the staff doesn't know what it's doing and is groping for anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT