ADVERTISEMENT

First visit to WL this weekend!

Aug 15, 2011
How we doing everyone? My friends and I take a road trip to an away B1G every year and this season Purdue is our destination. We're all very excited to see the campus and town!

My cousin-in-law actually went to Purdue to become a Vet Tech, so I'm familiar with the academic prestige of the University. I'm sure she'll have some suggestions for things to do, but I also like to get ideas and recommendations from Rivals board members.

So here are a few questions, thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond. I'd love to repay the favor some day if anyone wants to venture to State College.

1. What are your favorite bars in WL and what kinda atmosphere does each one have?

2. Halloween weekend, should we be prepared to get in the spirit of the season (we're 27/28 so maybe too old for that)?

3. I've been told Purdue does a "breakfast club" thing for pregame festivities. Is that a bar hopping activity or do people tailgate for it as well? What would you suggest doing before opening kickoff?

4. Aside from game-related activities and nightlife, what sites should we see? Fan favorite Photo-op locations?

5. Any chance we can get into Mackey over the weekend? We're all big Hoops fans and respect the Purdue program.

Thanks again everyone. Lookin forward to a great game Saturday. We Are and Boiler Up!

Reactions: sarasotan and punaj
1. Harry's and Neon Cactus
2. Even if it weren't Halloween, costumes are a part of breakfast club. If you dress up, you will blend right in.
3. If you like to drink a ton, wake up and go to bars for breakfast club. If you drink in moderation, just tailgate but walk through campus to see everyone going to and from breakfast club.
4. Nothing jumps to mind but I'm so used to campus that it all seems common place.
5. Probably. There is a pep rally there the morning of the game. Never actually been to that. Maybe someone else knows the time.

2. Even if it weren't Halloween, costumes are a part of breakfast club. If you dress up, you will blend right in.
3. If you like to drink a ton, wake up and go to bars for breakfast club. If you drink in moderation, just tailgate but walk through campus to see everyone going to and from breakfast club.
4. Nothing jumps to mind but I'm so used to campus that it all seems common place.
5. Probably. There is a pep rally there the morning of the game. Never actually been to that. Maybe someone else knows the time.

Awesome! Thanks for the response

Welcome and If you are looking for a great steakhouse for Friday or Saturday night hit up mcgraws. Harry's late Friday afternoon or before the game is vintage Purdue. You should do a fly by at breakfast club Saturday morning at where else or 308 on State to experience our unique tradition.
Make sure you walk around campus it's beautiful and compact.
Boiler Up!

Sounds like Harry's is the best, or at least most popular, spot in town. We'll definitely visit there for sure.

Food ideas are always appreciated. I love getting a "taste of the town" at different schools.

Reactions: ChicagoBoiler9
Sounds like Harry's is the best, or at least most popular, spot in town. We'll definitely visit there for sure.

Food ideas are always appreciated. I love getting a "taste of the town" at different schools.
XXX has it's cousin "Route 66 Diner" off campus; essentially the same menu but less crowded. It is pretty good. Jake's has TVs if you want to watch a game. If you want to avoid puke drunk people and watch a game Scotty's is pretty solid. Depends what you are shooting for.

Reactions: NittanyLogan'11
We're interested in a little bit of everything. Like to see campus and local traditions, but it's also a weekend away from the wives and girlfriends so we enjoy a rowdy bar too. Always fun seeing the college kids goofing around.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives.htmlLafayette Brewing Company has been around during the infancy of craft brewing making comebacks in the early 90's. Good beer and good food as well.
On a Friday or Saturday late night buzz, stop by XXX family restaurant for either a good breakfast or a Duane Pervis All-American hamburger. Who would have thought peanut butter on a hamburger would taste good? Strangely enough...it does.
Guy Fieri visited the establishment a few years back and gave it a 4.5/5.0.
XXX is the root beer and goes back to the 1920's being served at that establishment. The origins of XXX brewery goes further back to Galveston, TX and a devastating Hurricane in the late 1890's...strange history.
Anyway, enjoy your time around the campus and local establishments on both sides of the Wabash River.

I will say this...there is nothing that beats Beaver Stadium near Shaver's Creek of Happy Valley! LOL I've been there/done that and had a good time back in '04, Just to say that in one sentence makes me laugh.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives.htmlLafayette Brewing Company has been around during the infancy of craft brewing making comebacks in the early 90's. Good beer and good food as well.
On a Friday or Saturday late night buzz, stop by XXX family restaurant for either a good breakfast or a Duane Pervis All-American hamburger. Who would have thought peanut butter on a hamburger would taste good? Strangely enough...it does.
XXX is the root beer and goes back to the 1920's being served at that establishment. The origins of XXX brewery goes further back to Galveston, TX and a devastating Hurricane in the late 1890's...strange history.
Anyway, enjoy your time around the campus and local establishments on both sides of the Wabash River.

I will say this...there is nothing that beats Beaver Stadium near Shaver's Creek of Happy Valley! LOL I've been there/done that and had a good time back in '04, Just to say that in one sentence makes me laugh.

I remember that game. Still no idea how PSU was even close in that one, we couldn't run the ball well that year and Orton was a beast up until that point.

It's fun talking to Midwest natives when they come to Pennsylvania. Most enjoy seeing the mountains (even tho they're hills compared to out west), but many also get can't understand why no road is ever straight for more than about 1 mile haha.

Harry's is a must, but is always nuts-to-butts crowded, as it is not huge. About a year ago BuzzFeed ranked it the best college bar in America. If you're going to be in town on Thursday, you have to do the piano bar at the Neon Cactus. If you can't go on Thursday, don't bother.

Jake's is an ok second choice after Harry's, IMO. The service there is abysmal, so order 2-3 drinks at a time because by the time you get your first you would have been on your third anyway.

XXX is greasy spoon, great breakfast and burgers. I like DT Kirby's downtown Lafayette, just up the street from Lafayette Brewing Co. Bruno's is cool just for the sports memorabilia. XXX and Bruno's have both been on Campus Eats on BTN. One of the hosts picked Bruno's as her favorite pizza place they had visited, against some stout competition, FWIW.

Those are the places I'd hit anyway.

Tailgating scene is down from previous years so don't fully judge based off what you see Saturday! With it being Halloween weekend, breakfast club should be at its best.

Enjoy and welcome to Purdue/West Lafayette

Last edited:

Definitely try LAFAYETTE BREWING Co. for Brews (IPA) and a meal (post game or Friday nite). It's downtown Lafayette on Main Street.

Try XXX for Breakfast ~ decent. (Sunday if you're still in town). Burgers great too, but place gets crowded after the game ( like Harry's Chocolate Shop ).

Hit HARRY's if you can, but crowds up quick.

Harry's is a must, but is always nuts-to-butts crowded, as it is not huge. About a year ago BuzzFeed ranked it the best college bar in America. If you're going to be in town on Thursday, you have to do the piano bar at the Neon Cactus. If you can't go on Thursday, don't bother.

Jake's is an ok second choice after Harry's, IMO. The service there is abysmal, so order 2-3 drinks at a time because by the time you get your first you would have been on your third anyway.

XXX is greasy spoon, great breakfast and burgers. I like DT Kirby's downtown Lafayette, just up the street from Lafayette Brewing Co. Bruno's is cool just for the sports memorabilia. XXX and Bruno's have both been on Campus Eats on BTN. One of the hosts picked Bruno's as her favorite pizza place they had visited, against some stout competition, FWIW.

Those are the places I'd hit anyway.

Tailgating scene is down from previous years so don't fully judge based off what you see Saturday! With it being Halloween weekend, breakfast club should be at its best.

Enjoy and welcome to Purdue/West Lafayette

We're leaving Harrisburg at 10 PM Thursday night, arriving in Indy around 8 AM Friday. Gonna pick up a friend around 1130, maybe spend a couple hours in Indy then heading to WL. Should be there by mid afternoon. Leaving for PA Sunday around noon.

With all these recommendations, we'll have a full itinerary!

The 211 session ( AAMB Pep rally in Mackey ) has been "DISCONTINUED" by Parker.

Bummer, looks like it's closed on Saturday, too :(
Band used to have a "PRE-GAME SHOW / Pep Rally" at Slayter Center ( about 2-3 blocks from Ross Ade Stadium ). Maybe they will start that up again soon. I'm sure they won't stop having a pre-game AAMB performance somewhere.

Also, supposedly PURDUE is going to allow a PUB to open in the basement of the Union adjacent to PAPPY's ( Old Sweet Shop ). I believe its Thurs - Friday and Football Saturdays. Not sure of hours and when it will/ or has begun. Could be interesting (and probably crowded).
link ---- http://fox59.com/2016/10/15/purdue-testing-out-beer-wine-in-pub-at-memorial-union/

Last edited:
Don't sleep on Mcgraws for Friday night dinner post Harry's. Also the new pub at the union and XXX aka Tri-Chi.
Make sure you drive up to the acres and check out all of the mansion fraternities and sororities up on the hill it is pretty unique and by the golf course and stadium

How we doing everyone? My friends and I take a road trip to an away B1G every year and this season Purdue is our destination. We're all very excited to see the campus and town!

My cousin-in-law actually went to Purdue to become a Vet Tech, so I'm familiar with the academic prestige of the University. I'm sure she'll have some suggestions for things to do, but I also like to get ideas and recommendations from Rivals board members.

So here are a few questions, thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond. I'd love to repay the favor some day if anyone wants to venture to State College.

1. What are your favorite bars in WL and what kinda atmosphere does each one have?

2. Halloween weekend, should we be prepared to get in the spirit of the season (we're 27/28 so maybe too old for that)?

3. I've been told Purdue does a "breakfast club" thing for pregame festivities. Is that a bar hopping activity or do people tailgate for it as well? What would you suggest doing before opening kickoff?

4. Aside from game-related activities and nightlife, what sites should we see? Fan favorite Photo-op locations?

5. Any chance we can get into Mackey over the weekend? We're all big Hoops fans and respect the Purdue program.

Thanks again everyone. Lookin forward to a great game Saturday. We Are and Boiler Up!
Hey there. My dad, a buddy and I made the trip in 2012. Purdue fans were outstanding and all class. Purdue has a very nice campus and West Lafayette reminds me a lot of state college. You will have a blast. Of course that is if Penn State doesn't have a let down.

My wife and I were in the Sports Room at Bruno’s when Todd Blackledge came in and taped his “Taste of the Town,” so we witnessed a Lion endorse Bruno’s Dough. And their pizza really is outstanding, but they have other great Italian, Swiss and German dishes. Drew Brees cited the place in his book; he has stuff in the display cases, and the walls are fully covered with autographed photos … from Armstrong to Wooden.

Triple XXX is fun, and you have to, at the very least, drive by Harry’s and Jake’s on Saturday morning to get a look at Breakfast Club and its never-ending Halloween outfits. Neon Cactus is better late. Expect crowds at most places, not to mention road construction all around.

For touring, first drive into the Indianapolis Motor Speedway -- you have to see it in person to appreciate its size. The Lafayette area features the hills and bluffs of the Wabash River -- crossing it on the Sagamore Parkway may remind you a bit of home. River Road leads to the Tippecanoe (and Tyler, too) Battle Ground about seven miles north and Fort Ouiatenon about five miles south, next door to the very best steak-and-seafood place around, McGraw’s. Slayter Hill and Neil’s Hall highlight campus, and I’ve found game-day visitors usually can at least get a glance inside Mackey.

We really enjoyed seeing State College last summer. With parks designated just for “Little Lions Football,” the city is a model for community support of a university. We don’t have half as much. Our welcome signs are green, and two of the three city prep teams wear red. And that damned devil’s pitchfork is stuck on half the med buildings.

Every out of Towner always loves Harry's. it was rated the #1 college bar for a reason because if it's history, tradition, atmosphere and feel good college vibe. It is a special place!

My wife and I were in the Sports Room at Bruno’s when Todd Blackledge came in and taped his “Taste of the Town,” so we witnessed a Lion endorse Bruno’s Dough. And their pizza really is outstanding, but they have other great Italian, Swiss and German dishes. Drew Brees cited the place in his book; he has stuff in the display cases, and the walls are fully covered with autographed photos … from Armstrong to Wooden.

Triple XXX is fun, and you have to, at the very least, drive by Harry’s and Jake’s on Saturday morning to get a look at Breakfast Club and its never-ending Halloween outfits. Neon Cactus is better late. Expect crowds at most places, not to mention road construction all around.

For touring, first drive into the Indianapolis Motor Speedway -- you have to see it in person to appreciate its size. The Lafayette area features the hills and bluffs of the Wabash River -- crossing it on the Sagamore Parkway may remind you a bit of home. River Road leads to the Tippecanoe (and Tyler, too) Battle Ground about seven miles north and Fort Ouiatenon about five miles south, next door to the very best steak-and-seafood place around, McGraw’s. Slayter Hill and Neil’s Hall highlight campus, and I’ve found game-day visitors usually can at least get a glance inside Mackey.

We really enjoyed seeing State College last summer. With parks designated just for “Little Lions Football,” the city is a model for community support of a university. We don’t have half as much. Our welcome signs are green, and two of the three city prep teams wear red. And that damned devil’s pitchfork is stuck on half the med buildings.

Great list thanks for sharing. Sounds like a lot of the places you listed have been endorsed in this thread, so we'll try to hit them up. I've seen a couple references to Bruno's Dough, what are they? Kinda like garlic knots? I think we're going to try XXX just for the Purvis Peanut Butter burger. That just sounds too interesting to pass up.

Indy motor speedway will be cool to see. We drive right by Dover on the way to the beach and I'm still amazed by it's enormity.

Sagamore Parkway and the battlefields sound cool. I live about 40 minutes from Gettysburg so it will def feel like home.

Glad you enjoyed your time in HV. Going in the summer is a completely different experience than during the school year. People laugh how it's a nice quiet town from June through August when all the kids are gone haha. Really beyond excited to get out to WL this weekend. It's been near the top of our list for a few years, it just hasn't worked out until this fall.

Reactions: sarasotan
Great list thanks for sharing. Sounds like a lot of the places you listed have been endorsed in this thread, so we'll try to hit them up. I've seen a couple references to Bruno's Dough, what are they? Kinda like garlic knots? I think we're going to try XXX just for the Purvis Peanut Butter burger. That just sounds too interesting to pass up.

Indy motor speedway will be cool to see. We drive right by Dover on the way to the beach and I'm still amazed by it's enormity.

Sagamore Parkway and the battlefields sound cool. I live about 40 minutes from Gettysburg so it will def feel like home.

Glad you enjoyed your time in HV. Going in the summer is a completely different experience than during the school year. People laugh how it's a nice quiet town from June through August when all the kids are gone haha. Really beyond excited to get out to WL this weekend. It's been near the top of our list for a few years, it just hasn't worked out until this fall.
wasn't too quiet last saturday night after the game when in excess of $30,000 damage was done up there.

For things on campus, check out the statues - you have the boilermaker near the stadium, Neil Armstrong by his building, and the new John Wooden statue. Neil's building has some cool space stuff to see too if you are in to that kind of thing. I'm sure the building will be open. Sadly all of that stuff was built after I graduated so I didn't get to enjoy it back then.

There are also a few neat fountains, the engineering mall and Hovde Hall, which is a pretty cool building, located at the foot of the engineering mall. Campus has changed a lot since I graduated so I'm sure others will have more to add to this.

Enjoy your trip to Purdue. Happy Valley and that part of your state are both quite beautiful. We don't have as many trees or rolling hills, but we still love Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT