ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball First Thoughts: Purdue vs. Butler

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
INDIANAPOLIS — Greetings from Bankers Life Fieldhouse, where the Crossroads Classic puts Purdue up against No. 17 Butler.

This is the Boilermakers' last marquee non-conference test and an opportunity to get another good win for its résumé, a résumé that may be better than Purdue's actual record right now.

I do think that even without Matt Haarms, Purdue has a real chance today, because I think that Butler's style jibes with the Boilermakers' strengths, as Virginia and Northwestern did.

A few thoughts.

1. PACE AND TEMPO
If this is a low-scoring, low-possessions, halfcourt sort of game, that's what I'm talking about about this game being played Purdue's ways. Purdue played fast against Ohio, because it defended so well that it happened organically. The reality is Purdue shouldn't want to get in track meets with people and obviously is really good on defense when it's not scrambling.

Then, Purdue has to make shots.

2. TREVION WILLIAMS
Williams is Purdue's best player right now and Purdue needs him to be right now. He is their starting point, their go-to guy, their foundation, whatever you want to call it and Purdue needs the ball in his hands, but more importantly, needs him in the game.

Butler will get the ball to Bryce Nze and make Williams guard, but it's more than offensive fouls and the cheap bump fouls that have to be cut out. If Williams is going to get in foul trouble, making Butler put him in foul trouble.

3. DEFENSIVE MATCHUPS
Eric Hunter has been outstanding on defense lately, and for much of this season, and that gives Purdue a really nice luxury, and that's where I think the matchups are kind to Purdue today.

The Boilermakers now have two reliable, high-level perimeter defenders. Very rarely at Purdue lately has that been the case.

Kamar Baldwin and Aaron Thompson are key matchups, and if Purdue puts Eastern on Baldwin, you still feel good about Hunter on Thompson. Or vice versa.

That said, Sean McDermott is a worry, too. He's damn near a 50-percent three-point shooter with height and length to shoot over anyone. My guess is that's Sasha Stefanovic's assignment, but I can't claim to know.

I do think Purdue has a real good shot today, but it probably can't shoot 25 percent from three, turn the ball much or experience foul trouble of any consequence and win.

That's what I got.

Thanks for joining us everybody. We'll have full coverage afterward, and updates and take fire in the meantime at @brianneubert.

Discuss the game here or whoever you wish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News