ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball First Thoughts and GoldandBlack.com game thread: Purdue vs. Notre Dame

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Greetings from the mountain goat level of Bankers Life Fieldhouse, where light can't exist, complicating further the fact my glasses are fogging up, and Purdue meets Notre Dame today at the Crossroads Classic, once the playing floor is cleared of Indiana's and Butler's viral loads.

Last non-conference game for Purdue and the last chance for it to come away with any win to speak of outside Big Ten play. Notre Dame's record is not impressive, but it's schedule has been so I'd expect a little more than meets the eye from the Fighting Irish.

Couple pre-game thoughts ...

• If Purdue guards the way it did against Ohio State, I think it'll be OK. Prentiss Hubb is the guy here, and Eric Hunter looms especially large on D because of it. The Boilermakers have historically done a pretty solid job either taking away one really guard or making them highly inefficient. Today will be one of those days they'll want to.

• Covering shooters is the key today. Purdue's defense is built to protect the lane and that makes it kinda vulnerable to the three, especially off ball reversals and such. Purdue's got to be a step ahead in getting out to open guys and make them make the extra pass, or make the wrong guys for Notre Dame take the shots.

• Trevion Williams. This is the game and the venue where Trevion Williams really made a name for himself two years ago. The way he's playing now has been just what Purdue needs, but he has to keep doing what got him here. Making simple plays, making good reasons and rebounding. The Magic Johnson stuff came to him organically against Ohio State. He mustn't seek it out now.

I wonder if Painter ought to switch back the starters at center.

I'll chip into this thread as we go, and you can follow along at Twitter to at @brianneubert.

Full coverage afterward tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News