ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball First Thoughts and GoldandBlack.com game thread: Purdue vs. Maryland

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Greetings, everyone, from the Center of the Sports Universe today — Purdue's game against Maryland.

I'd expect Purdue to be agitated and refocused or whatever cliché terms you'd like to use, and I'd expect Maryland to play like it has absolutely nothing to play for, because it does not.

I think that the Michigan game was just one moment in time this season and nothing even remotely close to being a reflection of the Boilermakers' reality from here on out, but that said, this is a chance for Purdue to show that some pride or whatever defensively.

Three things ...

• Defensive details. Purdue actually had two full days to prepare for this game. Maryland isn't very good, but Eric Ayala, Fatts Russell and Donta Scott can all be real pains in the you-know-what offensively. Again, a good chance for Purdue to show that it paid attention to its coaches after the Michigan game. I'm not trying to lay all the blame for Purdue's defensive problems at the feet of the players, but I'm of the firm belief that it's hard to assess scheme until you see it when everyone's doing what they're supposed to be doing, and Purdue's not. Trevion Williams and Jaden Ivey need to lead here, as was the case some weeks back, and both responded favorably after the Wisconsin loss, I thought.

• Shots. Here's guessing they'll fall today. Sasha Stefanovic has been in a rut lately and Thursday night was a team-wide rut. I doubt confidence is ever going to be an issue for these guys, but it would be good for Purdue to see the ball go in again.

(Hey, I've got to write something here.)

• Taking care of the ball. This could be one of those games where if Purdue is sharp, scoring my come relatively easily. Maryland just gave up 110 points at home to Iowa and here's guessing the Terrapins' staff has probably reached that point in the season where the focus might be shifting more toward what comes next season as opposed to this next month.

In games like that, you don't want to get casual and start screwing around.

Anyway, that's what I've got.

Follow along here or on Twitter at @brianneubert.

Full coverage to come later, while you're knee-deep in your buffalo chicken dip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News