ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball First Thoughts and GoldandBlack.com game thread: Purdue-Ohio State

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
INDIANAPOLIS — Greetings from Lucas Oil Stadium, where these strange creatures — some sort of foreign species — are milling around the stands and concourses where Purdue gear, and Michigan attire and Ohio State headgear. Not sure what they are, but they're all over the place and I have to admit I'm a little frightened.

We'll push through, and soon Purdue will play Ohio State at the Big Ten Tournament.

The postseason is upon us and we'll see if the upstart Boilermakers' surprising success this season can carry over into single-elimination-type situations. No reason to think not, but you never know.

I think it may be an advantage for Ohio State today that it's played a game here already. This venue feels like the moon.

Purdue's obviously beaten Ohio State twice this season, which guarantees it nothing, but should be a shot of confidence, nonetheless. I think the bigger matter here today is these two teams' trajectories right now.

Purdue didn't play nearly the caliber of competition that Ohio State did to close the regular season, but the Boilermakers did so 5-0 and the Buckeyes 0-4, including three home losses (to great teams). Ohio State barely survived a Minnesota team yesterday that's playing without two of its three best players, arguably.

Purdue should have a good chance today, but Ohio State is good, better than the sum of its parts, IMO. I don't know if any of their offensive weapons terrify you, and they're vulnerable defensively, atypically. But the Boilermakers had another turnover fit against Indiana, are still a sketchy shooting team and are still better on paper defensively than they are in flesh and blood.

Anyway, three things ...

• Jaden Ivey. He can be a difference-maker against Ohio State, who will get up in Purdue's business on the perimeter, and the Buckeyes don't really have a rim protector. But it's the point in his development now where he's going to be a marked man for defenses — if he's not already — and that'll put the onus on his decision-making.

• The bigs. Another significant physical advantage for Purdue around the basket in this one, and that's been the case the past two games. Zach Edey was laid waste in all his path during those games, but Trevion Williams hasn't produced as well. It would be nice to have both humming.

• Turnovers. How many times do I have to say this this season? I wonder if the IU debacle wasn't a blessing in disguise. Maybe it put them especially on edge about the issue.

That's what I've got.

Discuss the game here or however you wish.

Full coverage tonight on the site and I'll chip in here and on Twitter at @brianneubert

Thanks, all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News