ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball First Thoughts and GoldandBlack.com game thread: Purdue-North Texas

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
INDIANAPOLIS - Greetings everyone from the sovereign nation that is the NCAA Tournament here in Indianapolis. Quite a site this operation is, carrying out the largest-scale non-Olympics sports event there is during a global health crisis.

Things will be very different, but the good news is that NCAA narcs won’t have to worry about me not pouring my Coke into a Dasani-branded cup, so no new battle scars for me this year.

This is going to be really difficult from a media perspective but you won’t hear me complain, because the most important thing, and the only thing that matters here, is that this event takes place. Everyone owes the athletes here and those who played football this fall a debt of gratitude for making this work and allowing Cleveland State to keep the lights on.

Anyway, Purdue vs North Texas tonight. A chance for Purdue to punctuate a great season. Whatever happens here, this was a great season and the ground floor of great things to come but the Boilermakers aren’t happy to just be here. They want to win and should be confident they can.

A few things.

1. Jaden Ivey’s made this a different team and raised its ceiling considerably if you ask me. His play may not be the determinant of how far Purdue goes but it’ll be top five for sure. No pressure.

2. Purdue needs the best of Trevion Williams. Ten-and-six may not cut it this time of year and as good as Zach Edey has been, this is first-team All-Big Ten pick’s time.

3. Purdue’s up-and-down shooting all season is reason for worry if you ask me. Skills-wise, Purdue is a better shooting team than its numbers, but it’s March and at this point you are your numbers.

Shot selection is super-critical right now under the umbrella of decision-making. Ivey and Brandon Newman most notably.

4. Purdue has to get back on the same page defensively. What the hell happened in that first half against Ohio State, I have no idea. And that was alarming. That needs to have scared them straight.

5. Eric Hunter has to be great on D but has to be great with the ball, too. It’s guard season and Purdue must make good decisions and keep turnovers down best it can. His play is under the microscope now.

6. Have fun. These are kids and they’ll be better if they play like it. Matt Painter has done a great job with his team’s mood in recent years. And now under these bizarre conditions, it may be even more important.

That’s what I’ve got for now.

I will chip in here and on Twitter during the game.

I will warn everyone our coverage may be delayed tonight since we have to clear the arena. The trade off for not having to fly someplace is that I don’t have a hotel room to stumble back to to work.

FYI.

Thanks for reading everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News