ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball First Thoughts and GoldandBlack.com game thread: Purdue at Illinois

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — Greetings from the State Farm Center in Champaign, where Purdue takes part in one of its biggest games of the season, perhaps its biggest of the Big Ten season, at Illinois.

Illinois is 6-0 and has won an incredible 20 of its last 21 Big Ten games — credit: Chicago Sun-Times — but hasn't really faced any of the Big Ten's heavyweights yet this season. Who those teams would even be, I think we're still figuring that out, but Purdue's one of them, regardless of that 1-2 start. Michigan, minus Hunter Dickinson, most certainly is not.

Again, I think this is a chance for Purdue to sort of recast its Big Ten season. I do think Purdue has trended very well since Wisconsin and maybe that's been leading up to something big today. Or maybe not.

The thing that would worry you from a Purdue partisan's perspective would be whether Purdue is tough enough for this one. Illinois has had their number ever since the Illini got good again, and part of that's the fact that this is probably the team in the Big Ten with the most edge to it, to put it one way. The Boilermakers haven't responded great to it, though they were more competitive last season than I thought they'd be with a bunch of freshmen on the floor.

Couple more things ...

• Guard play: So much of this today falls on Jaden Ivey — they need his best today — but Purdue's got to be strong with the ball all around the backcourt, namely Isaiah Thompson and Eric Hunter, because Trent Frazieer and Da'Monte Williams are gonna get in their grills. Ivey's going to be challenged physically today as well, and I wouldn't expect many calls. Let's just hope for everyone's sake no one gets stepped on or elbowed in the cheek.

Purdue's offense has sometimes not functioned as smoothly against higher-pressure teams. They'd better respond today.

• The 5s: Ivey's Purdue's most important player today, but the two centers can't back down from the Iron Giant around the basket. Zach Edey has been up and down this season opening games with his physicality and Trevion Williams has historically really been affected by Kofi Cockburn around the basket.

If Purdue can just keep him off the offensive glass, stay out of crippling foul trouble and cancel Cockburn out, that might be a net gain for the Boilermakers. If they can flat-out outplay him, then that's a huge advantage for Purdue. I just wouldn't expect many calls.

• Shooting: I hate listing shooting as key to any game, because that's oversimplification at its best, but open looks aren't going to come easy today. When they do Purdue's got to make them.

Sasha Stefanovic has missed a bunch of threes the past few games that have personified the term "too wide open" and Isaiah Thompson's just not making the shots lately he's been making all season.

Purdue has to make sure it's taking the right shots, as well.

That's what I've got.

Thanks, everybody. Discuss the game here or however you wish. You can follow along here in this thread or on Twitter at @brianneubert*

* Provided the State Farm Center wifi works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News