ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball First Thoughts and GoldandBlack.com game thread: No. 6 Purdue vs. No. 5 Villanova

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
UNCASVILLE, Conn. — Greetings again from the sordid underbelly of the Mohegan Sun, this oasis of excess and vice where Purdue plays for a championship today at the Hall of Fame Tip-Off.

I don't know as much about Villanova as I did UNC, as is the nature of covering these one-after-the-other events, but I do know this is another elite program the Boilermakers are holding themselves up against today, a team full of veterans as usual. Purdue's done enough in its basketball history to not need anything to aspire to, but I've always thought Villanova was a good model for what Purdue's trying to do. Big differences in terms of the recruiting circles they're able to exist in and such, but nevertheless, Villanova is as consistent and player development-driven as any program in America.

Anyway, last time these two teams met, that was as impressive a Purdue win as I've ever covered. Purdue's offensive action turned Villanova's off-ball switching into a pretzel, Carsen Edwards went crazy and the Boilermakers destroyed a team with a bunch of guys who'd won a national title on their de facto home floor.

This one won't unfold like that but I do think Purdue can score on these guys. I think Purdue can score on anyone short of the Miami Heat.

A few more things on this game.

• Villanova is an excellent defensive program, but they don't have the sort of size to match up with Purdue. They'll have to figure out something out, but this might be a bit of a repeat of yesterday where the other team is shooting threes over Purdue's bigs while Purdue is trying to hammer the paint one-on-one with a 6-foot-8 guy guarding Zach Edey or Trevion Williams.

'Nova can shoot from every position on the floor, and that's scary if you're Purdue, but I don't know if 'Nova is as formidable off the dribble as UNC was. That's Purdue's biggest vulnerability right now.

• Purdue has to rebound at the defensive end. There was some circumstance involved yesterday, with there being that stretch with no Edey or Williams on the floor, and some bad bounces — like the one three UNC missed so bad it bounced off Caleb Furst's head right to Kerwin Walton wide open — but Purdue needs to block out at every position on the floor and get the ball.

• The moving screens by Zach Edey and the silly reaches by Trevion Williams simply have to be cut back.

Purdue needs those guys on the floor, and most of their fouls yesterday came at the offensive rebound. They have to better technically and more disciplined. Just because the Boilermakers got away with it yesterday doesn't mean it wants to ever try again.

That's what I've got.

Full coverage after the game tonight.

In the meantime, I'll chip in here during the game and be on Twitter at @brianneubert

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News