ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball First Thoughts and game thread: Purdue at Rutgers

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Greetings from ... uh, my house.

Purdue is playing at Rutgers tonight but COVID-19 has denied me my annual return to my natural habitat, rare access to credible bagels and the joys of the Newark Airport NJ Transit station.

But we'll still cover this game the best we can.

This is a found-money game for Purdue, if you ask me, and so is Illinois. Lose these games away from home to two of the best teams in the Big Ten and it doesn't change the trajectory of your season. It can if you win, but you're not screwed if you don't. I don't know if Purdue is ready to win games like this, to be honest, but here's their chance to prove that thought wrong.

I didn't think Purdue competed as well with Rutgers last season as the relatively close scores suggested. They were a no-show for the first 10 minutes in Piscataway, let Rutgers push them around. Trevion Williams played well, but it was Jahaad Proctor who really gave Purdue some life in the second half. The guards were not vry good otherwise.

At Purdue, that was a game Purdue needed more than any other that season, yet Rutgers found a way to win at the end. That shouldn't happen in Mackey Arena with so much at stake. Kudos to Rutgers and Geo Baker for that one.

Ron Harper Jr. has been a monster this season, but he's out, a huge break for Purdue, because he'd have been the most difficult matchup on the floor and a player who should be right in that mix with Luka Garza, Ayo Dosunmo and Marcus Carr for Big Ten Player-of-the-Year at this early juncture. Purdue's defensive scouting report just had a couple pages ripped out and Brandon Newman's life just got a little easier tonight, though he best not approach things that way.

Anyway, three thoughts ...

• The bigs vs. Myles Johnson: IMO, Myles Johnson is one of the most under-appreciated players in the Big Ten. He can play for my team any day, an NBA guy if you ask me. The Rutgers center's sheer height and length and strength make him a defensive force, and there have been times where such matchups have really given Trevion Williams problems, because length tends to change all his angles, and that strength makes it a challenge to get ideal position. Williams fared well at Rutgers last season, but Johnson's foul trouble was a factor in that, too. Zach Edey will have to fight like hell here, but Johnson may be one of the few defenders in the Big Ten who won't require help, so while Johnson will be a formidable matchup, it could be a double-edged sword, because Edey may see rare single coverage.

Keep in mind, Rutgers' other center Clifford Omoruyi is out. Doucoure is a big, physical dude, though, but not as good as those other two.

The bigs need to bring it tonight, on offense and defense and particularly the glass.

• Guarding the 1: Forget Geo Baker for a second. Jacob Young has been tremendous. Big test for Eric Hunter but also Purdue's entire halfcourt defensive operation, which hasn't been great this season. Young's a super-athlete and Baker is a creator, so Hunter's gonna be tested, as will Isaiah Thompson and whoever else guards the 1.

• Guard play: Purdue wasn't tough enough in the backcourt last season. Now?

Great chance for Eric Hunter, Sasha Stefanovic and Isaiah Thompson to show how far they've come in a year and for Jaden Ivey and Brandon Newman to show what they're all about.

Rutgers is going to be physical with all of them, get after them some in the backcourt, I'd think.

That's what I've got.

We'll be back after the game with all our usual coverage.

I'll chip in here, but follow along also on Twitter at @brianneubert

Thanks folks.

Reactions: wd08 and CrazyTotz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News