ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Hazell please

Hazell and his staff have done nothing the past 3 years. Please do us a favor and fire them.

A poster on another thread mentioned that the bye week is possibly impacting the timing and possible firing. It was not a coincidence that Randy Edsell was fired at MD during the bye week. It would also explain why there was no shake-up with the staff.

That said, I tend to believe that nothing is going to happen the rest of the season. I'm also starting to feel like the Prez, BOT, and AD are basically a mafia. The AD gets a big bonus that's starting to seem like hush money. Here AD, you get a nice bonus in exchange for sending BTN money to the University AND NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. And not only will you not complain about it, but you will stick to the script about not participating in an arms race, and how there is enough money around to win a Big 10 title in football.....yaddya, yaddya. Basically all of the things that Mitch Daniels wants to believe, and by gawd as long as you keep saying it....it will be true. Morgan Burke is an extension of Mitch Daniels because he knows where is bread is buttered.

Loyalty at all costs is the sign of a mafia. Left is right. Up is down. The sun sets in the east if you say it enough times. You must always parrot back what the godfather believes. And the godfather of all of this is Mitch Daniels. Is it any wonder why CDH says the same 6 things over-and-over.....and why Morgan Burke's email replies say the exact same thing regardless of the question? As long as MB continues to spout the beliefs of Mitch Daniels, I suspect we're stuck with MB until he retires. And don't be shocked if Mitch Daniels lets him stay on for as long as he wants.

A poster on another thread mentioned that the bye week is possibly impacting the timing and possible firing. It was not a coincidence that Randy Edsell was fired at MD during the bye week. It would also explain why there was no shake-up with the staff.

That said, I tend to believe that nothing is going to happen the rest of the season. I'm also starting to feel like the Prez, BOT, and AD are basically a mafia. The AD gets a big bonus that's starting to seem like hush money. Here AD, you get a nice bonus in exchange for sending BTN money to the University AND NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. And not only will you not complain about it, but you will stick to the script about not participating in an arms race, and how there is enough money around to win a Big 10 title in football.....yaddya, yaddya. Basically all of the things that Mitch Daniels wants to believe, and by gawd as long as you keep saying it....it will be true. Morgan Burke is an extension of Mitch Daniels because he knows where is bread is buttered.

Loyalty at all costs is the sign of a mafia. Left is right. Up is down. The sun sets in the east if you say it enough times. You must always parrot back what the godfather believes. And the godfather of all of this is Mitch Daniels. Is it any wonder why CDH says the same 6 things over-and-over.....and why Morgan Burke's email replies say the exact same thing regardless of the question? As long as MB continues to spout the beliefs of Mitch Daniels, I suspect we're stuck with MB until he retires. And don't be shocked if Mitch Daniels lets him stay on for as long as he wants.

I called it a "country club" in another thread.

Hazell will be fired if we lose to Wisconsin, I am 99% sure
I've got 1% that says he's here next year as well even if he never wins another game. MB was elevated to the level of university VP as part of the good old boys club that runs the place. He's not retiring until spring 2017. He's not going to make fire anybody unless there is a serious breach of propriety like a sex, drug or alcohol scandal. The new AD will make the next FB hire who likely won't be hired until late spring 2017 putting us even farther behind the 8 ball with a late starting coach.

Reactions: boilermaker75
Why so confident?
A friend of mines mom works in the football department, and while I dont trust him 100% after talking to him he says it's a done deal. If we lose to Wisconsin he is gone. But back in the day he told me Hazell was gonna be the hire before it was public, and a couple other things so I trust him. And I really just hope we fire Hazell so I am believing him.

Do we really want to be associated with Hilter as a Purdue fan? I get this video was meant as humor, but use another video to add captions to.

You realize there are hundreds of YouTube clips using this scene and different text right?

You realize there are hundreds of YouTube clips using this scene and different text right?
It's a lot easier to be a bitchy, whiny PC police than to just let something slide without comment. I learned long ago that if you just let it go it will die but some people always have to be hall monitors and crossing guards. Something missing in their childhoods is my guess.

It's a lot easier to be a bitchy, whiny PC police than to just let something slide without comment. I learned long ago that if you just let it go it will die but some people always have to be hall monitors and crossing guards. Something missing in their childhoods is my guess.

I find many of the hitler spoofs funny. This one had some clever parts but I didnt care for all the language and f bombs. Got to the point where I just wanted to close it out. Likely its just me. And not trying to be the PC police..

If Vegas had a prop bet on that, I would bet my house. No way Purdue fires Hazell during the season or even next season.
I wouldn't be so quick to bet your house! While I think it is unlikely Purdue makes a move during the season, if Purdue finishes 1-11 or 2-10, I would be totally shocked if DH was retained. I don't care about his buyout. The donors and fans have zero confidence in DH, which will force Purdue's hand.

I wouldn't be so quick to bet your house! While I think it is unlikely Purdue makes a move during the season, if Purdue finishes 1-11 or 2-10, I would be totally shocked if DH was retained. I don't care about his buyout. The donors and fans have zero confidence in DH, which will force Purdue's hand.
Nice to see HartPU make a return to the free board! Welcome back sir!

How do you suggest we address the bigger issue which is a lame duck AD who has made two bad hires in a row?

How do you suggest we address the bigger issue which is a lame duck AD who has made two bad hires in a row?

There's nothing you can do. He's here til he's made to retire. He will be hiring our new FB coach....again.

I wish we would fire the OC first before firing Hazell. And as far as the DC goes, I'm not ready to throw him to the wolves yet. When the offense is constantly going 3 and out or turning the ball over, it's hard for a defense to sustain its composure.

A friend of mines mom works in the football department, and while I dont trust him 100% after talking to him he says it's a done deal. If we lose to Wisconsin he is gone. But back in the day he told me Hazell was gonna be the hire before it was public, and a couple other things so I trust him. And I really just hope we fire Hazell so I am believing him.

Interesting. I'm skeptical but thanks for the info.

The question is if the 6.6 million buyout of his contract is too much? I hope Burke sucks it up and fires Hazell despite this. Hazell has done nothing since he has been here.

The question is if the 6.6 million buyout of his contract is too much? I hope Burke sucks it up and fires Hazell despite this. Hazell has done nothing since he has been here.

Thank you, glad you know what the deal is. For those of you out of the loop;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downfall_(2004_film)#Parodies
The movie is well known as the inspiration for "Downfall parodies". One scene in the film, in which Hitler launches into a furious tirade upon finally realizing that the war is truly lost, has become a staple of internet videos.[15] In these videos, the original German audio is retained, but new subtitles are added so that Hitler and his subordinates now seem to be reacting instead to some setback in present-day politics, sports, popular culture, or everyday life. Other scenes from various portions of the film have been parodied in the same manner, notably the scenes where Hitler orders Otto Günsche to find SS-Gruppenführer Hermann Fegelein, and where Hitler discusses a counterattack against advancing Soviet forces with his generals. By 2010, there were thousands of such parodies, including many in which a self-aware Hitler is incensed that people keep making Downfall parodies,[16 ... The film's director, Oliver Hirschbiegel, spoke positively about these parodies in a 2010 interview with New York magazine, saying that many of them were funny and they were a fitting extension of the film's purpose: "The point of the film was to kick these terrible people off the throne that made them demons, making them real and their actions into reality. I think it's only fair if now it's taken as part of our history, and used for whatever purposes people like."[21

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/downfall-hitler-reacts

There are over thousand estimated derivative videos with subtitles in English, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and many many other languages, typically discussing topical events and trivial news or gossip.

In April 2009, YouTube channel HitlerRantsParodies[4] was launched to serve as an archival platform and forum for the parody community at large. As of January 2012, the channel remains in active service with over 560 uploads and 29 million views, averaging 29,000 views a day. However, many of the videos on the channel lost their original view counts after a wave of takedowns in April 2011.

In May 2008, Wired[14] and Laughing Squid[15] covered the phenomenon. On October 28th, 2008, New York Times Magazine[5] reported on the mass appeal of “Downfall” parody phenomenon:

In the best parodies -- and “Hillary’s Downfall” is a good one -- Ganz embodies the role assigned him by the parodist by the time his glasses come off. This is the moment in the original film after Hitler has been informed that he cannot win; as he eases up on denial, he’s coming down on fury. In “Hillary’s Downfall,” you can’t believe how quickly the haircut and costume recede and the Hitler factor fades, eclipsed by Ganz’s tough old fork-tongued grandpa performance. Hitler becomes not the author of the Holocaust but a salty dog who, though all is lost, doesn’t stop piercing pretense and speaking in slangy, heartfelt language, expressing the most deeply felt needs of the human id. We may have repressed that speak-for-the-people Hitler, the one he decided to be in “Mein Kampf”; but in the form of these videos, he has returned.
On October 6th, 2009, Telegraph[6] also published an article explaining the meme, as well as a selection of 25 best parodies. That year, the chairman of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), Brad Templeton, made his own Downfall parody[16] after taking on a number of illegal DMCA cases against creators of these videos

For those of you that still don't get it:

Fellas - it's simple math! Calculate the revenue losses of empty seats, lower season ticket sales, concessions, souvenirs, etc. if Hazell stays and compare that to what it costs to buy him out. I'm sure there is a spreadsheet with this data somewhere in the AD's office. At some point during the contract there is a "break-even point" - we'll probably hang on until it makes mathematical sense to let go.

The movie is well known as the inspiration for "Downfall parodies". One scene in the film, in which Hitler launches into a furious tirade upon finally realizing that the war is truly lost, has become a staple of internet videos.[15] In these videos, the original German audio is retained, but new subtitles are added so that Hitler and his subordinates now seem to be reacting instead to some setback in present-day politics, sports, popular culture, or everyday life. Other scenes from various portions of the film have been parodied in the same manner, notably the scenes where Hitler orders Otto Günsche to find SS-Gruppenführer Hermann Fegelein, and where Hitler discusses a counterattack against advancing Soviet forces with his generals. By 2010, there were thousands of such parodies, including many in which a self-aware Hitler is incensed that people keep making Downfall parodies,[16 ... The film's director, Oliver Hirschbiegel, spoke positively about these parodies in a 2010 interview with New York magazine, saying that many of them were funny and they were a fitting extension of the film's purpose: "The point of the film was to kick these terrible people off the throne that made them demons, making them real and their actions into reality. I think it's only fair if now it's taken as part of our history, and used for whatever purposes people like."[21

There are over thousand estimated derivative videos with subtitles in English, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and many many other languages, typically discussing topical events and trivial news or gossip.

In April 2009, YouTube channel HitlerRantsParodies[4] was launched to serve as an archival platform and forum for the parody community at large. As of January 2012, the channel remains in active service with over 560 uploads and 29 million views, averaging 29,000 views a day. However, many of the videos on the channel lost their original view counts after a wave of takedowns in April 2011.

In May 2008, Wired[14] and Laughing Squid[15] covered the phenomenon. On October 28th, 2008, New York Times Magazine[5] reported on the mass appeal of “Downfall” parody phenomenon:

In the best parodies -- and “Hillary’s Downfall” is a good one -- Ganz embodies the role assigned him by the parodist by the time his glasses come off. This is the moment in the original film after Hitler has been informed that he cannot win; as he eases up on denial, he’s coming down on fury. In “Hillary’s Downfall,” you can’t believe how quickly the haircut and costume recede and the Hitler factor fades, eclipsed by Ganz’s tough old fork-tongued grandpa performance. Hitler becomes not the author of the Holocaust but a salty dog who, though all is lost, doesn’t stop piercing pretense and speaking in slangy, heartfelt language, expressing the most deeply felt needs of the human id. We may have repressed that speak-for-the-people Hitler, the one he decided to be in “Mein Kampf”; but in the form of these videos, he has returned.
On October 6th, 2009, Telegraph[6] also published an article explaining the meme, as well as a selection of 25 best parodies. That year, the chairman of the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), Brad Templeton, made his own Downfall parody[16] after taking on a number of illegal DMCA cases against creators of these videos

I think that generally after 3 yrs. would be a quick hook but if we wind up w/ 1 or 2 wins it would be a deserving move. There has been no improvement and it's the same old thing, a sputtering O and then the D just quits.

I was discussing the issue of firing Hazell but having Burke still here...here was my solution:

1: Fire Hazell
2: Reassign John Shoop within the program as temporary recruiting coordinator assistant
3: Name Taver Johnson as interim head coach
4: Promote Terry Malone from TE's coach to Offensive Coordinator
5: Promote Zach Opsal from Defensive Graduate Assistant to TE's coach (previous experience coaching TE's in college)
6: Promote Mark Sheridan from Defensive Graduate Assistant to DB's coach (with the continued help of Taver Johnson)

This covers Purdue's bases in terms of gaps left by the HC and OC being fired/forced to resign. If Johnson is well received by players and Purdue can show VAST improvement in the areas they are lacking (as Bill Cubit has shown at Illinois), allow Johnson to be named HC and allow him to hire a new OC and DC (if need be). This also fills the gap for the following two seasons in which MB is still the AD and prevents him from truly hiring the next football coach. At that point in time, a new AD will be able to step in and say...I am bringing in my guy because I don't feel the program has moved far enough along under Johnson, even though he did his best in his time here under a bad situation. Literally, it is a win/win for every party involved...players, coaches, university, AD, and fans.

I wish we would fire the OC first before firing Hazell. And as far as the DC goes, I'm not ready to throw him to the wolves yet. When the offense is constantly going 3 and out or turning the ball over, it's hard for a defense to sustain its composure.
Agree 100%. The defense has actually looked halfway decent at times, but - and not unlike the fans - it's only natural that their spirit invariably starts to break down as they see the offense can't consistently progress down the field.

I expected (i.e. thought it was more likely than not) Purdue would make an OC change after last season. They didn't. And firing the OC now doesn't seem like it would even be enough, and that to prove that the AD/Purdue cares about football at all, they almost have to skip over Shoop and fire Hazell midway through the season. That's how it feels to me at least. It just seems so dumb to not have tried the easier / cheaper / less disruptive solution of replacing the OC first. But they've waited too long and firing the OC would hardly be the spark/commitment the fans want.

Of all the complaints people have about Burke and spending, the current predicament to me is the most egregious of all. I'm not talking about the buyout itself, or the long(-ish) contract, whatever. Those were known variables 3 years ago and Purdue should have had a contingency plan to work around those items. They clearly didn't. They've waited too freaking long to fire the OC - a guy that you would had to have given a designer Purdue ink pen and a half-eaten bag of peanuts to in order terminate his contract - thereby putting Purdue in a situation where it basically has no choice but to give away $6M from an already struggling Athletic Department. Indecision is a decision... and the indecision on Shoop is going to prove to be one costly decision.

Last edited:
If Vegas had a prop bet on that, I would bet my house. No way Purdue fires Hazell during the season or even next season.
I agree Purdue won't fire him during the season, but if we go 1-11, losing to IU for the 3rd staright year - HE GONE!!!!

I agree Purdue won't fire him during the season, but if we go 1-11, losing to IU for the 3rd staright year - HE GONE!!!!

If he doesnt get to 4 wins IMO, HE GONE. That was the floor, and a realistic bottom of the barometer point to show that hey, we arent there yet but we are still headed in a positive direction.

Now, it looks like all the positive momentum ended in October 2014.

Fellas - it's simple math! Calculate the revenue losses of empty seats, lower season ticket sales, concessions, souvenirs, etc. if Hazell stays and compare that to what it costs to buy him out. I'm sure there is a spreadsheet with this data somewhere in the AD's office. At some point during the contract there is a "break-even point" - we'll probably hang on until it makes mathematical sense to let go.

You would think they would look at all this data don't you? It makes since to me. You think the stadium is dead now just think if Hazell comes back next season.

If he doesnt get to 4 wins IMO, HE GONE. That was the floor, and a realistic bottom of the barometer point to show that hey, we arent there yet but we are still headed in a positive direction.

Now, it looks like all the positive momentum ended in October 2014.
The last time Purdue won a Big Ten game, my Grandpa passed away the same day. It sucked.

The last time Purdue won a Big Ten game, my Grandpa passed away the same day. It sucked.

Sorry about that. The next time they win a Big Ten game I'm sure some of us will have kids or something, ha ha.

For those of you who like WW2 movies, Downfall is exceptional IMO. Bruno Ganz's Hitler is probably the best ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT