ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball Final Thoughts: Purdue-Texas

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
A couple quick final musings from Purdue's 70-66 loss to Texas

• I guess it lies in the eye of the beholder how to view this game, because while Purdue did some things that would normally lead to wins — a big rebounding edge, 50-percent three-point shooting, etc. — Texas was the better team by some important measures, and to me, the eye test. Yet, Purdue was in position to win.

Should Purdue have won? Five points with three minutes left is far from insurmountable, but Purdue should have given itself a better chance thereafter before it threw away a couple possesions. Credit Texas for taking advantage, but also understand that maybe Purdue, with all these guys now being in positions where they are influencing winning and losing, has to grow into those situations. Obviously, Aaron Wheeler and Eric Hunter are physically capable of catching basketballs, but these are situations where they didn't really have to last season.

• Obviously not Matt Haarms' best day, and the two early offensive fouls had a lot to do with it, I think. He'll be a stalwart for the Boilermakers all season, I think, so here's guessing this is more outlier than anything. That being said, he did make some big plays down the stretch to help Purdue be in position to win this game.

Wheeler will be better than this this season, too.

• I know a big hope for Purdue is that Nojel Eastern will finish around the basket at a higher rate than he did last season, and that was something that didn't happen tonight, as he was 3-of-10. Stuff happens, but the majority of shots are going to be higher-percentage shots.

That brings to mind another point, that as Purdue finds itself offensively, the best way to do that is for all these guys to play to their strengths, and when Eastern misses tough jumpers or Aaron Wheeler turns it over putting the ball on the floor tightly covered, those sorts of things aren't their strengths at this point.

• Don't let the outcome overshadow the impact Sasha Stefanovic made on this game. Without his first-half outburst, this is a very different game at half. But also, three steals. And the one turnover came off one of the steals.

He was very good, carrying 27 minutes in his first game back from a foot injury.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News