ADVERTISEMENT

Feeling a little optimistic

StickPurdue

Junior
Sep 17, 2016
Indianapolis
I know Purdue lost a lot on defense, but I feel it is very possible Purdue starts the season 6-0. Setting the stage for college game day with OSU?

The back half is brutal, so to make a bowl, they better be at least 4-2 coming out of that first 6.

Can I handle the hype of starting 6-0? I don't know, but I am willing to find out.

I expect the offense to take a big leap forward. Just need the defense to overachieve. Going to need to find some pass rush, but I trust Holt to be creative and get it done.

Not the Average Joe would say to "Manage Expectations". We could easily end up 6-6 and still make improvements thru recruiting talent. I'd like to think we can tear thru those 1st six games. I'm being a realist though and 3-3 or 4-2 is where I believe we will be. Offense improves, yet Defensive youth will not bode for an undefeated early 6 game run. I'm still excited and that hasn't changed. 6-6 in year two and going to another bowl shows Coaches are developing players.

Reactions: cmarchino12
Easy does it killer. We lost more than we gained THIS year but our recruiting shows promise for the future. Don't get hung up on the record this year, we play a tough schedule and the eye test might be our best guide.

Reactions: ProudBoilerDad
Easy does it killer. We lost more than we gained THIS year but our recruiting shows promise for the future. Don't get hung up on the record this year, we play a tough schedule and the eye test might be our best guide.

I am very clear that this team could be better overall than last year and still go 5-7. I don't think we will though. I like the incoming DBs. I think we will have a depth we didn't have at all last year at that position. Linebacker has two good ones come get back but losing McCollum and Bentley hurts. Losing Wilson and EZE hurts too. I think those four spots take a step back. How far back is yet to be determined.

We will know a lot more after the Northwestern game. I also think the Purdue team will be much better by the end of the season, even if the record doesn't show it. I think the offensive line will be better than last year. The recievers should be much better. The RBs should be healthier. If they can get anything to come close to the productivity of the 4 front 7 I mentioned, then this team could shock everybody. I guessed 5 wins and I felt I was being very optimistic considering the mess. I am saying 7-6 would be my reasonable expectation though anything between 5 and 9 wins wouldn't surprise me.

The best thing going forward is know how much better the '19 team will be with the incoming class, although it may take a year or two to really show. Luckily, a lot of the guys committed seem to be good enough to contribute right away. Wouldn't shock me to see at least 3 of that '19 class start as true freshmen. Then by '20 a lot more will be contributors. Future is bright, but as I said, maybe I am being overly optimistic. I expect another great and fun year this year. I can't friggin wait.

I know Purdue lost a lot on defense, but I feel it is very possible Purdue starts the season 6-0. Setting the stage for college game day with OSU?

The back half is brutal, so to make a bowl, they better be at least 4-2 coming out of that first 6.

Can I handle the hype of starting 6-0? I don't know, but I am willing to find out.

I expect the offense to take a big leap forward. Just need the defense to overachieve. Going to need to find some pass rush, but I trust Holt to be creative and get it done.
A few other games that same day:
Arizona @ UCLA
UM @ MSU
OK @ TCU
NCST @ Clemson
Alabama @ UT
Houston @ Navy
Oregon @ WSU

Those are much more likely to get the Gameday that week but a 5-1 Purdue team vs. a 6-0 OSU would get the main ESPN or CBS national spot for the night game.

If Purdue could get to 5-1, it would be a massive coup for Brohm and the Boilers....but being honest with ourselves it is more likely to be 3-3.
W’s: EMU, Illinois, BC
L’s: NU, Nebraska, Missouri

And that would likely line Purdue up for a 5-7 finish with wins over IU and Minnesota...but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Purdue get the NU and Missouri games to get to 7-5. Honestly, anything at 5+ wins is a step forward.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Boston College and Missouri don’t suck.

Bet on 3-3.. if we are 4-2 a bowl is likely...

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I am very clear that this team could be better overall than last year and still go 5-7. I don't think we will though. I like the incoming DBs. I think we will have a depth we didn't have at all last year at that position. Linebacker has two good ones come get back but losing McCollum and Bentley hurts. Losing Wilson and EZE hurts too. I think those four spots take a step back. How far back is yet to be determined.

We will know a lot more after the Northwestern game. I also think the Purdue team will be much better by the end of the season, even if the record doesn't show it. I think the offensive line will be better than last year. The recievers should be much better. The RBs should be healthier. If they can get anything to come close to the productivity of the 4 front 7 I mentioned, then this team could shock everybody. I guessed 5 wins and I felt I was being very optimistic considering the mess. I am saying 7-6 would be my reasonable expectation though anything between 5 and 9 wins wouldn't surprise me.

The best thing going forward is know how much better the '19 team will be with the incoming class, although it may take a year or two to really show. Luckily, a lot of the guys committed seem to be good enough to contribute right away. Wouldn't shock me to see at least 3 of that '19 class start as true freshmen. Then by '20 a lot more will be contributors. Future is bright, but as I said, maybe I am being overly optimistic. I expect another great and fun year this year. I can't friggin wait.
Now we are on the same page. Future looks bright, yet there will be some lumps and bumps this season. If offensive playmakers can stay healthy, no reason we can’t go bowling again. 6-6 with a better future ahead.

Agree. Front seven on D is a giant question mark.

Brohm didn't do as much as I thought he would in the graduate transfer market for the front 7. Hopefully that means he liked what he saw and trusts what he has.

The front 7 doesn't have to be as good as it was last year because of the improvement everywhere else. Just need it to be ok and hope our DBs can limit the big offensive plays, and hope our offense can put up enough points to offset the defensive players lost.

5 to 9 wins I think is a reasonable range of expectations. I think almost every position takes a step forward except the front 7. Hard schedule, but not unreasonable. If Purdue finds a way to land itself 6-0 going into that OSU game,the hype train might derail. (And rumors of Brohm leaving would be at a hysterical level).

Personally, I want to see 7-6 with a bowl win. Not too high to have Brohm get poached, but good enough to keep me engaged all season. Also would be good to keep momentum with recruits winning another bowl.

I want to see that '19 class in place before we blow up, making it harder for him to leave. I can't see him leaving before he reaps the rewards of this '19 class. It is just that good. With what Purdue already has, pulling in a few more top targets would just seal off an already amazing class.

Brohm didn't do as much as I thought he would in the graduate transfer market for the front 7. Hopefully that means he liked what he saw and trusts what he has.

The front 7 doesn't have to be as good as it was last year because of the improvement everywhere else. Just need it to be ok and hope our DBs can limit the big offensive plays, and hope our offense can put up enough points to offset the defensive players lost.

5 to 9 wins I think is a reasonable range of expectations. I think almost every position takes a step forward except the front 7. Hard schedule, but not unreasonable. If Purdue finds a way to land itself 6-0 going into that OSU game,the hype train might derail. (And rumors of Brohm leaving would be at a hysterical level).

Personally, I want to see 7-6 with a bowl win. Not too high to have Brohm get poached, but good enough to keep me engaged all season. Also would be good to keep momentum with recruits winning another bowl.

I want to see that '19 class in place before we blow up, making it harder for him to leave. I can't see him leaving before he reaps the rewards of this '19 class. It is just that good. With what Purdue already has, pulling in a few more top targets would just seal off an already amazing class.

Yeah, i know he wanted the OLB from Western Kentucky that turned pro. Other than that, i dont think there was a ton of talent on the grad transfer market.

Agree. Front seven on D is a giant question mark.

And some of those may be answered in Purdue’s favor. Some also won’t and I think you’re with me in that it will be a mixed bag where opponents can key on something ...

The other thing I think the overly optimistic may be doing is thinking back to how smooth the offense looked against Arizona... but much like Missouri last year, Arizona was NOT playing big ten quality defense when we played them...

And some of those may be answered in Purdue’s favor. Some also won’t and I think you’re with me in that it will be a mixed bag where opponents can key on something ...

The other thing I think the overly optimistic may be doing is thinking back to how smooth the offense looked against Arizona... but much like Missouri last year, Arizona was NOT playing big ten quality defense when we played them...

Last year we had a walk on and a former WR as the top targets for the bulk of the season. When Phillips and AM started catching the ball woth consistency, Purdue looked very good. Purdue is adding two redshirt freshmen that were top 1000 recruits and adds 3 true freshmen that could find playing time because they are that good. That would mean 5 new guys to compete for playing time. Offensive line should be better and the RBs should be healthy. Not to mention Blough and Sindelar will be in their second year of the system. Offense should take a big step.

Last year we had a walk on and a former WR as the top targets for the bulk of the season. When Phillips and AM started catching the ball woth consistency, Purdue looked very good. Purdue is adding two redshirt freshmen that were top 1000 recruits and adds 3 true freshmen that could find playing time because they are that good. That would mean 5 new guys to compete for playing time. Offensive line should be better and the RBs should be healthy. Not to mention Blough and Sindelar will be in their second year of the system. Offense should take a big step.

Take a big step ... yes.. look as good as they did v Arizona against really good defenses.. probably not till 2019.. they should light bad teams up ...

I am being overly optimistic, so light them up, start 6-0, sign a top 20 '19 class, and extend Brohm again. Let's go!

I thought we were going at least 10-2 in 2005... @nat100 can tell you I made some pretty idiotic predictions and learned to give our opponents not too much credit but enough credit....

I’d be thrilled with 6-0, however I’m gonna day we should also be thrilled with 4-2...

I’m looking for a nice 7-5, 8-4 regular season where we improve, get your Typical zebra bad luck ... the road officiating we will get at home against certain programs etc... and look like we are on the verge... but not be so good that the entire world wants Brohm.

My hope is then that Brohm can keep a great class wiTh the pitch that “yeah we weren’t 10-2 like some of the schools recruiting you, but guys like you can get us there now.”

My hope following they is that we bust out in 2019 and by then Brohm is so entrenched here and realizes he can recruit here that we barely keep him after that season and then we will be rolling.

7-5/8-4 2018 9-3/10-2+ 2019 is your best scenario...

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
I thought we were going at least 10-2 in 2005... @nat100 can tell you I made some pretty idiotic predictions and learned to give our opponents not too much credit but enough credit....

I’d be thrilled with 6-0, however I’m gonna day we should also be thrilled with 4-2...

I’m looking for a nice 7-5, 8-4 regular season where we improve, get your Typical zebra bad luck ... the road officiating we will get at home against certain programs etc... and look like we are on the verge... but not be so good that the entire world wants Brohm.

My hope is then that Brohm can keep a great class wiTh the pitch that “yeah we weren’t 10-2 like some of the schools recruiting you, but guys like you can get us there now.”

My hope following they is that we bust out in 2019 and by then Brohm is so entrenched here and realizes he can recruit here that we barely keep him after that season and then we will be rolling.

7-5/8-4 2018 9-3/10-2+ 2019 is your best scenario...

If we get to 8-4, he deserves another raise

Could happen. I absolutely hope it happens. I’m hoping the focus will be on who our starting QB is and this young defense can ‘get their feet under themselves’. Although starting the season against a B1G opponent is a tall ask...but I’m very hopeful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT