ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Bands/Artists (Music Thread)

beardownboiler

All-American
Dec 22, 2008
So, things are a little slow here . . and honestly have gotten very stale. Not that this unoriginal thread is going to do much, but I figured people could have a music discussion or whatever. So, what are you favorite bands, etc?

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot to include my own.

Phish
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
The Grateful Dead
The Rolling Stones
Arctic Monkeys
Speedwolf
Pink Floyd
R.E.M.
Dead Congregation
Tribulation

This post was edited on 9/3 5:28 PM by beardownboiler

This post was edited on 9/3 5:30 PM by beardownboiler

This post was edited on 9/4 4:08 PM by beardownboiler

Re: Favorite Bands/Artists

I'll play along:

Zac Brown Band
Offspring
Cake
Billy Idol
Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen
Lenny Kravitz
Train
Powerman 5000 (Great for Workouts)
Jerrod Neimann

Originally posted by Stol91:
I'll play along:

Zac Brown Band
Offspring
Cake
Billy Idol
Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen
Lenny Kravitz
Train
Powerman 5000 (Great for Workouts)
Jerrod Neimann
I really don't like Powerman 5000, but I have to agree that it is good for workouts because of the heaviness and a consistent beat. An alternative (that I'm positive you're aware of) would be Rob Zombie . . . similar style, but better, in my opinion. Both of those make it on my workout list because they drive.

Welp, it depends on my mood, but here's what I've been listening to lately:

Workouts:
Trivium
Disturbed
Volbeat

Regular:
The Smashing Pumpkins (probably my all time favorite band)
Pearl Jam
Flogging Molly
Imagine Dragons (who, by the way, are very good in concert)
OAR (seeing them again after a Padres game in a few weeks)

Pretty broad range of rock music ranging from the workout stuff above to Jimmy Buffett, The Barenaked Ladies, DMB, etc...

Tom Waits stands above all others by a wide margin.

Wilco
Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown
The Band
Rolling Stones
Pavement
Led Zeppelin
Neko Case
Cannonball Adderley
Lucinda Williams
Grateful Dead
Brahms

I could go on and on but that seems ample.

Originally posted by gr8indoorsman:
Welp, it depends on my mood, but here's what I've been listening to lately:

Workouts:
Trivium
Disturbed
Volbeat

Regular:
The Smashing Pumpkins (probably my all time favorite band)
Pearl Jam
Flogging Molly
Imagine Dragons (who, by the way, are very good in concert)
OAR (seeing them again after a Padres game in a few weeks)

Pretty broad range of rock music ranging from the workout stuff above to Jimmy Buffett, The Barenaked Ladies, DMB, etc...
For whatever reason, I keep forgetting about the Smashing Pumpkins until they fall into a pretty heavy rotation for about two weeks a year on my table. I saw them on their 20th anniversary tour at the Chicago Theatre (there was a fire in the theater that night that nobody told us about . . . but you could smell it . . . obviously messed up, in retrospect). Great show. Corgan really got weird and took some jams out into very bizarre places. I enjoyed it, even though I could swear I'd never hear again after that show (it was loud . . . and this is coming from someone who regularly attends metal shows).

No particular order:
Black Keys (who are going downhill as they move away from their very raw, bluesy sound IMO)
Led Zep
Doors
Bob Marley
Vampire Weekend
White Stripes
Cake
Modest Mouse

Couple others that I'm really starting to like:
Fitz & the Tantrums
Foster the People (were really good at Lolla)
Arctic Monkeys--newest album is awesome

A couple that I recently found on pandora that are intriguing based on about 5 songs:
-Foxygen--In the Darkness and No Destruction are cool songs
-Nick Waterhouse--found him through Fitz and the Tantrums
-Lorde--no shame admitting that she has amazing talent for a ~17 year old

This post was edited on 9/4 12:49 PM by Toast.

Originally posted by Toast.:
No particular order:
Black Keys (who are going downhill as they move away from their very raw, bluesy sound IMO)
Led Zep
Doors
Bob Marley
Vampire Weekendu
White Stripes
Cake
Modest Mouse

Fitz & the Tantrums

A couple that I recently found on pandora that are intriguing based on about 5 songs:

I can dig most of that list. The Arctic Monkeys are awesome, and Alex Turner is an incredible showman. If you like them and some old-style indie/psych/mod-rock (all over the place, really), check out Last Shadow Puppets, a side project of Turner's.

I totally agree about tBK. I enjoyed Brothers, but was hoping it was just a phase. I think Turn Blue is a step in the right direction (it's got some psych thrown in there, which I don't have an issue with), but I still long for the days when a new lick from that disgusting guitar would rattle my speakers. I saw them back on NYE 2009 at The Riv, and although the set was short, they really shook the place. It was awesome (and Kurt Vile got booed off the stage. It was funny.) I saw them again after El Camino came out (but at the United Center . . . which sucks for concerts). It was . . sub-par. They've changed for the worse, and that's sad.

On a similar note, I think Jack White has gone a similar route (away from the nasty-sounding blues sounds . .with some punk). I saw him recently, and it all seemed so polished.

This post was edited on 9/4 1:05 PM by beardownboiler

If you like raw blues/rock I would check out Tom Waits. Songs like:
Cold Water
Gun Street Girl
Make it Rain
Cold Cold Ground
Big in Japan
Going out West
Hang on St. Christopher
2:19
Raised Right Men
Murder in a Red Barn
Jockey Full of Bourbon

I probably have too many bands to list them all but the ones that immediately come to mind include (in no particular order):

Pink Floyd
Rush
Doobie Brothers
CSN (and sometimes Y)
U2
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Moody Blues
Who

Another thought I had when I saw this post is which bands came to Purdue while you attended?

I was at Purdue from 74-78. Here is my list with an * denoting which concerts I attended:

America* - I was actually a senior in high school when they performed in Mackey Arena.

Freshman Year:
J. Geils Band
Kansas* (after the release of their first album) with warm up band Mahogany Rush

Sophomore Year:
Kansas* (after the release of their Song for America album)
Fleetwood Mac

Junior Year:
Bruce Springsteen
Jefferson Starship*

Senior Year:
Eagles with Joe Walsh* (Hotel California tour)
Doobie Brothers*
Emerson Lake & Palmer*
Marshal Tucker Band*

Semester after I graduated:
Heart*
Dan Fogelberg*

I am sure there were some others I have forgotten about but I was just curious as to how much Purdue brought in bands over the years. I know my freshman year and to a lesser extent my sophomore year it seemed like there wasn't much interest on Purdue's part in bringing in bands to perform. All of the shows I saw were at Elliot with the exception of the America concert.

Originally posted by TheCainer:
I probably have too many bands to list them all but the ones that immediately come to mind include (in no particular order):

Pink Floyd
Rush
Doobie Brothers
CSN (and sometimes Y)
U2
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Moody Blues
Who

Another thought I had when I saw this post is which bands came to Purdue while you attended?

I was at Purdue from 74-78. Here is my list with an * denoting which concerts I attended:

America* - I was actually a senior in high school when they performed in Mackey Arena.

Freshman Year:
J. Geils Band
Kansas* (after the release of their first album) with warm up band Mahogany Rush

Sophomore Year:
Kansas* (after the release of their Song for America album)
Fleetwood Mac

Junior Year:
Bruce Springsteen
Jefferson Starship*

Senior Year:
Eagles with Joe Walsh* (Hotel California tour)
Doobie Brothers*
Emerson Lake & Palmer*
Marshal Tucker Band*

Semester after I graduated:
Heart*
Dan Fogelberg*

I am sure there were some others I have forgotten about but I was just curious as to how much Purdue brought in bands over the years. I know my freshman year and to a lesser extent my sophomore year it seemed like there wasn't much interest on Purdue's part in bringing in bands to perform. All of the shows I saw were at Elliot with the exception of the America concert.
My dad was at that ELP show. I love ELP, but completely forgot to include them . . . but that may be warranted due to Love Beach.

Shows I saw at Purdue:

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds (acoustic . . second row at Elliott) 2003
String Cheese Incident 2003
Verve Pipe 2003 (I think)
The Roots 2008
Wilco 2007 (maybe?)
EVE6 2008
BB King 2007 (maybe 2006, I have no clue)
Dave Chappell (doesn't count as music, but whatever)
Twista (at some frat, don't remember much of this ~2002)

I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember them. I've seen so many shows since graduating that I've lost track of most of them. I thought that I would, some day, try to make a list of all the shows I've seen . . but that might be next to impossible.

This post was edited on 9/21 12:14 PM by beardownboiler

Your Dad????? Wow.

Yeah, Love Beach was not one of their better albums. I remember when I bought it that a bunch of promotional junk fell out of the album cover trying to get people to buy all of t-shirts and stuff.

That concert at Purdue was after they had released their Works Vol. I album. I had seen them just a few months prior in Indianapolis on the same tour. When they performed in Indy, they had about a 30 piece orchestra with them but they had canned that part of their act when they came to Elliot as I guess it was just becoming too expensive, at least that is what we were told. They had taped the orchestral parts and played that at Elliot. It was still a good show though.

I lucked out on seating on the Eagles and Doobie Brothers concerts as I also had 2nd row for the Eagles and 5th row for the Doobies. They had a mail-in lottery system (first come first served) for seating at those concerts and my one rommate and I were actually late getting in our application for the Eagles but we still ended up with great seats. Our other roomates were pissed....

I'm a Billy Joel junkie...down to the non-hit tracks off his albums. I'm not sure what was happening with his classical music phase, though.

I grew up loving Garth Brooks.

And, of course, as a pastor, I also grew up listening to Christian music - a bunch of bands y'all probably have never heard of (wow, I sound like a hipster).

Right now, I'm pretty big into classical music, so my favorite "Artists" are actually composers:

Mahler
Beethoven
Shostakovich
Smetana

Originally posted by beardownboiler:
No particular order:
Led Zep
Doors
Bob Marley
Vampire Weekendu
White Stripes
Cake
Modest Mouse

Fitz & the Tantrums

I can dig most of that list. The Arctic Monkeys are awesome, and Alex Turner is an incredible showman. If you like them and some old-style indie/psych/mod-rock (all over the place, really), check out Last Shadow Puppets, a side project of Turner's.

I totally agree about tBK. I enjoyed Brothers, but was hoping it was just a phase. I think Turn Blue is a step in the right direction (it's got some psych thrown in there, which I don't have an issue with), but I still long for the days when a new lick from that disgusting guitar would rattle my speakers. I saw them back on NYE 2009 at The Riv, and although the set was short, they really shook the place. It was awesome (and Kurt Vile got booed off the stage. It was funny.) I saw them again after El Camino came out (but at the United Center . . . which sucks for concerts). It was . . sub-par. They've changed for the worse, and that's sad.

On a similar note, I think Jack White has gone a similar route (away from the nasty-sounding blues sounds . .with some punk). I saw him recently, and it all seemed so polished.

I went to see the black keys at the UC after El Camino came out as well. Arctic Monkeys opened for them. The UC is a place I'll probably never go back to for a concert. Back in 2008ish I saw the Black Keys at the Agora Theater in Cleveland, and that was awesome. Had a couple buddies that went to Case Western, so we drove over to hang out w/ them and go to the concert. Pretty cool venue.

The Black Keys best stuff live is from Thickfreakness IMO. I really liked their album progression up--even though I leaned towards their older, raw sound--until El Camino, and haven't had a chance to listen to Turn Blue much yet, so haven't formed an opinion.

I'll check out Last Shadow Puppets - thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by beardownboiler:
No particular order:
Led Zep
Doors
Bob Marley
Vampire Weekendu
White Stripes
Cake
Modest Mouse

Fitz & the Tantrums

I went to see the black keys at the UC after El Camino came out as well. Arctic Monkeys opened for them. The UC is a place I'll probably never go back to for a concert. Back in 2008ish I saw the Black Keys at the Agora Theater in Cleveland, and that was awesome. Had a couple buddies that went to Case Western, so we drove over to hang out w/ them and go to the concert. Pretty cool venue.

The Black Keys best stuff live is from Thickfreakness IMO. I really liked their album progression up--even though I leaned towards their older, raw sound--until El Camino, and haven't had a chance to listen to Turn Blue much yet, so haven't formed an opinion.

I'll check out Last Shadow Puppets - thanks for the tip.
Yeah . . . I think we were at the same UC show. It was pretty terrible. I was pretty excited to see the Arctic Monkeys, but the set was junk purely because a) the UC sucks for shows; and b) it was half empty until the Keys came out. It was a low point for my concert experience. I'm with you. I'm not going back to the UC to see a show unless it's something that I absolutely need to see and can't see anywhere else. I think we line up almost exactly the same on the Keys. Thickfreakness is the best album (that isn't entirely covers . . I love Chulahoma). I'm glad you got to see them before they took the dive into the pop sphere, because I don't come across too many people who really paid much attention to them prior to El Camino or Brothers. I think Danger Mouse has been bad for their sound (but great for their wallets). Same goes for Jack White (Danger Mouse also produces his work). Anyway, I think that if you give Turn Blue a full listen (at a high volume, obviously), you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's not what their work was back in the dirty blues days. But, it's a good turn after the over-the-top pop of El Camino.

I saw AM again this year at the Aragon (Chicago), and it was a great show. While I love their old club-punk stuff . . . the new album is pure genius. The B-side to the album is one of, if not the best, B-side of 2013.

Your Dad????? Wow.

Yeah, Love Beach was not one of their better albums. I remember when I bought it that a bunch of promotional junk fell out of the album cover trying to get people to buy all of t-shirts and stuff.

That concert at Purdue was after they had released their Works Vol. I album. I had seen them just a few months prior in Indianapolis on the same tour. When they performed in Indy, they had about a 30 piece orchestra with them but they had canned that part of their act when they came to Elliot as I guess it was just becoming too expensive, at least that is what we were told. They had taped the orchestral parts and played that at Elliot. It was still a good show though.

I lucked out on seating on the Eagles and Doobie Brothers concerts as I also had 2nd row for the Eagles and 5th row for the Doobies. They had a mail-in lottery system (first come first served) for seating at those concerts and my one rommate and I were actually late getting in our application for the Eagles but we still ended up with great seats. Our other roomates were pissed....
Yep. My dad. What makes that statement even worse is that I'm not even a kid (I'm a man! I'm fort . . er, thirty!). Anyway, he was big on ELP. I would have loved to see them in their heyday. I'm not surprised that their apparatus would become too expensive. I can't think of a band that would just keep adding things just for the sake of complexity like they did. The whole prog scene back then was nuts. Btw, I think my dad was also at that Doobie Brothers show.

My favorite ELP album is probably Trilogy, though the Geiger art for BSS is likely my favorite artwork for ANY album. As for Love Beach . . .maybe it's just me, but it's hard for me to look at that cover and have me believe that they are taking that album seriously. I know it was just contract fulfillment, but it's bad. You look at that cover and think, "Ok, so this is the band that had Lemmy Kilmister as a roadie . . . and Keith Emerson actually used Lemmy's knife to stab his Hammond. And this is the band that played so loud that the speakers would create a little breeze . . . and THAT is what they put out???" It's just hard to wrap my head around it.

Oh God . . . how did I forget to include Mötorhead on my list??? I am ashamed. They're probably in my top 3.

Originally posted by pastorjoeboggs:
I'm a Billy Joel junkie...down to the non-hit tracks off his albums. I'm not sure what was happening with his classical music phase, though.

I grew up loving Garth Brooks.

And, of course, as a pastor, I also grew up listening to Christian music - a bunch of bands y'all probably have never heard of (wow, I sound like a hipster).

Right now, I'm pretty big into classical music, so my favorite "Artists" are actually composers:

Mahler
Beethoven
Shostakovich
Smetana
I like Mahler a lot . . . but I think I go with Copeland for my classical fix. I haven't listened to classical in a while . . . . I think your post has pushed me to throw it on again.

This post was edited on 9/21 12:15 PM by beardownboiler

Believe it or not I have a copy of the record album Trilogy that has never been opened. I bought it for my brother as a Christmas gift and later found out he already had it. At that point, I kept it and borrowed my brother's so I could record it onto a cassette tape. That album has never had the plastic seal opened and was purchased 40+ years ago. It probably had a scratch on it anyway as a lot of them back then tended to have. I think I paid something like $3 or $4 for it.

My favorite depends on my moods really.

Drinking beer: Heavy metal (Metallica, Dokken, King Diamond)

Feeling nostalgic for the time I spent in Germany: Techno (DJ tiesto, Rammstein, KLF, Art of Noise)

Need some uplifting: Skillet, Newsboys a couple other christian songs that the band eludes me at the moment

Drinking beer and feeling nostalgic: Hair bands (YEAH I SAID IT) (Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Whitesnake, Queensryche, etc)

Mostly I am a classic rock kind of guy when I am just listening to music... it's hard for me to pinpoint a favorite because my tastes literally go all over the place. If you name a genre I probably have no less than 10 songs from it that I listen too. My collection has everything from Rap (Easy E) to Hardcore heavy metal.

I tell you what though, if I ever went deaf I wouldn't want to live. I listen to music more than I do anything else.

This post was edited on 9/5 12:29 PM by BBG

Believe it or not I have a copy of the record album Trilogy that has never been opened. I bought it for my brother as a Christmas gift and later found out he already had it. At that point, I kept it and borrowed my brother's so I could record it onto a cassette tape. That album has never had the plastic seal opened and was purchased 40+ years ago. It probably had a scratch on it anyway as a lot of them back then tended to have. I think I paid something like $3 or $4 for it.
I got mine for a buck about 6 years ago. It's in decent shape, I guess. A lot of the ELP digital masters/transfers are pretty bad. Most of the Brain Salad Surgery digital masters are sped up. It's kind of weird. The vinyl is about the only true copy you could find several years ago (I stopped looking for anything decent a while ago). Provided the shrink wrap hasn't warped the record, that record may have gained 50% in value!
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Prog never really held its value over the long term . . except for King Crimson. Whatever, though. It makes putting my collection together that much cheaper.

This post was edited on 9/21 12:15 PM by beardownboiler

Ram is good. But I just can't get into most of his post-Beatles stuff (I guess I'm a Lennon guy). The Ram remaster from a few years ago sounds pretty great.

Originally posted by BoilerGrad02:

Personally I'll take George Harrison over McCartney and Lennon.
But not as a songwriter. That is the main reason I like Lennon so much. While Harrison had some real gems (brilliant pieces) . . he wasn't able to produce the same volume of brilliant works that Lennon did.

As a guitar player . . it's Harrison, not contest.

old guy here, graduated in 78

YES
Robin Trower
UFO
Traffic
Rory Gallagher
Townes Van Zant
Robben Ford
ZZ Top
Uriah Heep
The Dead
NRPS