ADVERTISEMENT

Family

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
GRC4xN-WIAA94nB

Feels like that picture symbolizes Purdue basketball. Family. That program is about the culture and your teammates. Anyone who is more worried about their name being in the spotlight than winning has no place at Purdue. It's family first. Sure, you'll struggle to recruit at a Top 50 recruit level, but the players you do get buy into the culture. They're gym rats who want to develop and earn the PT. Or, they're just along for the ride like Fine. I see him smiling in the background. That kid was a damn good PG in a very competitive conference. Fishers won that conference and kicked the crap out of the Illinois 4A State Champion down in a St. Louis area shootout. Fine missed a last second 3 that would have beat Fishers in Sectionals. I'm sure Fine had plenty of options at lower levels. But, he decided to be a part of the culture as a Preferred Walkon and either enjoy the ride or try working up to PT as an upper classmen.

Last edited:
I'll also share that I used to work with the mother of one of Painter's NBA Draft Picks. She was an open book. It was great. Very cheezy. She told me that she wanted her kid to go to Purdue because Painter was the only HC she met that she thought could look her in the eye and not be lying. And said that Painter told her kid he was going to have to work his ass off for PT. Her least favorite was Buzz Williams, and her opinion of him would rival what Tiller said about Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT