ADVERTISEMENT

Fall break conflict - again!

pu1985

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 17, 2010
Sorry if this has been hashed out already but...once again the PU powers that be schedule student fall break over a home football weekend this weekend. Half the students will be out of town - excellent !

This happens EVERY year and yet the numbskulls continue to shoot themselves in the foot with football attendance that weekend. How hard would it be to schedule the break during, oh I don't know, maybe a ROAD GAME!

Idiots - and yes I know we don't control the BT calendar - but we sure as hello control our own academic one.
Again: idiots

I read were Burke tried to change the date but Minn. AD wouldn't do it. Seems to me though that they would have an idea when Fall break would land while they are doing the scheduling, even if it is a couple years ahead?

I read were Burke tried to change the date but Minn. AD wouldn't do it. Seems to me though that they would have an idea when Fall break would land while they are doing the scheduling, even if it is a couple years ahead?
Exactly - yet they do it over and over again.
Just unreal

Minnesota merely declined because it is in their best interest to do so (re-scheduling would complicate matters, not allow Purdue more of a home-field advantage). Football schedules are set many years in advance while the academic schedule is made a year or less in advance... and yet, still, the $64,000 question: When is Purdue going to start to do things in THEIR OWN BEST INTEREST??

I give up on these idiots.

Minnesota merely declined because it is in their best interest to do so (re-scheduling would complicate matters, not allow Purdue more of a home-field advantage). Football schedules are set many years in advance while the academic schedule is made a year or less in advance... and yet, still, the $64,000 question: When is Purdue going to start to do things in THEIR OWN BEST INTEREST??

I give up on these idiots.

This isn't true on a couple fronts.

1. The Big Ten schedule is set years in advance, but was re-shuffled with new members.

2. Purdue's academic schedule is not made a year or less in advance. And it's not like they pick out dates randomly. They do so based on academic factors (i.e. if finals fall later in December, school starts later in August).

3. There are other schools that hold games over a school's fall break. It doesn't always work out.

So yes, I think Purdue should try to not schedule games over that weekend, but there's only so much you can do. The school will not change their schedule to accomodate it.

I'm not sure this is really that big of a deal. This feels more like a "piling on" complaint; if the team was winning and people were pleased with the staff, I feel this would mostly be a non-issue.

What % of students go home for fall break anyway? School started only a month ago, and Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away... are they just itching to get out of town right now? Even if 50% of students leave (which I believe is far greater than the actual %), are those the same students who have season tickets and would go to the game if they were in town?

Lastly, if they wanted to do both, it's not like they couldn't get in one last party with friends on Friday, stick around for the game Saturday, and leave for home afterwards since there are no classes Mon and Tue. To me, students' expectations for on-field performance is going to be a much bigger driver for attendance than the academic calendar.

Last edited:
The basketball team survives without a student section for a couple weeks in December/January, and general public fans benefit as it frees up some tickets.

As long as I can remember, Fall Break has coincided with Columbus Day weekend when school wouldn't be in session on Monday anyways. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe we could try to avoid home games that weekend, but I think that the rationale behind the schedule for Fall Break.

This problem would disappear if Fall break was eliminated, and the whole week of Thanksgiving was officially Thanksgiving break, which it unofficially is already.

Why should the school alter its academic calendar to accommodate a sporting event? This much ado about nothing.
They are "altering" nothing - they have plenty of opps to schedule fall break when they plan the school year. Ain't that hard.
a) it's a simple fix and b) they are bleeding ticket revenue.
Or do nothing and continue to wonder why the student section is half full this weekend.

They are "altering" nothing - they have plenty of opps to schedule fall break when they plan the school year. Ain't that hard.
a) it's a simple fix and b) they are bleeding ticket revenue.
Or do nothing and continue to wonder why the student section is half full this weekend.

Pretty sure student tickets pay for the MN game whether they attend or not. So that's not a valid reason. They schedule Fall break at the same point of the semester every year. Exam schedules are built around that break. I'm sure the Professors would be overwhelmingly against altering the schedule every year depending on whether we have a home game or not. So, again, my point remains. Why should an academic institution alter its academic schedule every year depending on a sporting event?

Reactions: pu1985
This problem would disappear if Fall break was eliminated, and the whole week of Thanksgiving was officially Thanksgiving break, which it unofficially is already.

You realize we play games the weekend of Thanksgiving? And the weekend before? If you gave students that whole week off, you'd almost be guaranteed to have a game while students are off for a week.

Doesn't really eliminate the problem...

The basketball team survives without a student section for a couple weeks in December/January, and general public fans benefit as it frees up some tickets.

You are correct. During these basketball games they lower some prices on student section tickets and open them up to the public. If Purdue football was actually doing something then they could do something like this and it would be a non factor. Sounds like an excuse to me.

Pretty sure student tickets pay for the MN game whether they attend or not. So that's not a valid reason. They schedule Fall break at the same point of the semester every year. Exam schedules are built around that break. I'm sure the Professors would be overwhelmingly against altering the schedule every year depending on whether we have a home game or not. So, again, my point remains. Why should an academic institution alter its academic schedule every year and depending on a sporting event?
So again my statement: they are altering NOTHING. It's a very simple exercise to move fall break weekend by a week when putting together a schedule - my gosh if a technical school can't figure that one out I am really disappointed.
You want me to believe they don't already accommodate multiple other events when putting together the academic calendar for a given year? I'm guessing the professors have no input to those decisions. I know my retired professor father was never asked.
It's yet another example of the haplessness of the current leadership.
But enjoy the "emptier" stadium this weekend.

So again my statement: they are altering NOTHING. It's a very simple exercise to move fall break weekend by a week when putting together a schedule - my gosh if a technical school can't figure that one out I am really disappointed.
You want me to believe they don't already accommodate multiple other events when putting together the academic calendar for a given year? I'm guessing the professors have no input to those decisions. I know my retired professor father was never asked.

Academic schedules aren't based on convenience. There's a reason when things fall certain times.

If Purdue football was a draw, students would still be there (just as they were when I was there).

You realize we play games the weekend of Thanksgiving? And the weekend before? If you gave students that whole week off, you'd almost be guaranteed to have a game while students are off for a week.

I know. My point was the students are gone the whole week of Thanksgiving whether it is officially off or not. So just make it official and get rid of Fall break. Purdue did not always have a Fall break.

This isn't true on a couple fronts.

1. The Big Ten schedule is set years in advance, but was re-shuffled with new members.

2. Purdue's academic schedule is not made a year or less in advance. And it's not like they pick out dates randomly. They do so based on academic factors (i.e. if finals fall later in December, school starts later in August).

3. There are other schools that hold games over a school's fall break. It doesn't always work out.

So yes, I think Purdue should try to not schedule games over that weekend, but there's only so much you can do. The school will not change their schedule to accomodate it.

Ah, the new B1G members and re-shuffle of conference schedules, yeah, did not consider it; and the fact that PUAD did try to change the game date, I owe PU athletic administrators my sincere apology for what I said in my previous post in this thread. I also truly appreciate the date change effort, a good sign.

1900s_PU_FB_zps0oaxytdi.jpg

I guess you don't understand the definition of "altering". Moving a fall break from a standard schedule is something, you may not call it altering so how about "changing"?

And if you think the faculty senate has no say in the academic calendar, I don't know what to tell you.

This was mentioned in the last couple of days in either a free article on G&B or one of the links in the daily headlines (I can't remember which one). I believe PU gets screwed again with a home game during fall break in 2017. Purdue has apparently been appealing to the B1G on this issue for a while & the B1G has indicated any schedules made in the future will not give PU home games during fall break weekends.

I guess you don't understand the definition of "altering". Moving a fall break from a standard schedule is something, you may not call it altering so how about "changing"?

And if you think the faculty senate has no say in the academic calendar, I don't know what to tell you.

Perhaps you don't understand that something isn't "altered" or "changed" or "deviated from" or whatever term you'd care to use until it is established. Since the BT schedule is set years in advance they have plenty of opportunity to plan a fall break around it.
And no one mentioned the so called faculty senate. Enough on this one.

Ah, the new B1G members and re-shuffle of conference schedules, yeah, did not consider it; and the fact that PUAD did try to change the game date, I owe PU athletic administrators my sincere apology for what I said in my previous post in this thread. I also truly appreciate the date change effort, a good sign.

1900s_PU_FB_zps0oaxytdi.jpg
Yes if they've actually made the effort, that is good and I applaud them. That's a step in the right direction.

I know. My point was the students are gone the whole week of Thanksgiving whether it is officially off or not. So just make it official and get rid of Fall break. Purdue did not always have a Fall break.

I wouldn't say that's true. I always was on campus still that week and many of my friends were. Also, the Bucket game coincided the weekend before Thanksgiving and there were always plenty of students around.

The fact of the matter is, if you have a team that students want to support, they'll be there.

This was mentioned in the last couple of days in either a free article on G&B or one of the links in the daily headlines (I can't remember which one). I believe PU gets screwed again with a home game during fall break in 2017. Purdue has apparently been appealing to the B1G on this issue for a while & the B1G has indicated any schedules made in the future will not give PU home games during fall break weekends.

This reinforces my original point. Purdue is not changing its academic calendar for a football game. But I applaud them for trying to alter the game schedule, even if that's been unsuccessful in the past. Hopefully it will be this time.

Bottom line, if students wanted to attend the game, they would.

I wouldn't say that's true. I always was on campus still that week and many of my friends were. Also, the Bucket game coincided the weekend before Thanksgiving and there were always plenty of students around.

The fact of the matter is, if you have a team that students want to support, they'll be there.

Faculty either cancel class that week because of low class attendance, or schedule a test to make students be there. Either is not a desirable situation,

http://www.purdueexponent.org/opinion/editorials/article_856784ce-71ec-5275-8699-40b68574ce22.html

I agree if the team wins the stadium will fill.

Last edited:
This would all be a "MOOT" point if we were winning and putting a good product out on the field. Students as well as alumni would be there in droves! Fall break scheduling should not even be an issue period. Irregardless, we will be lucky to get 30k-35k fans in the stands from here on out anyways......................

Weather will be nice, maybe that will help a little. A good victory would be the best thing I can imagine for this team, with all the talk of improvement, but a defeat would be the worst thing with Minnesota having injury problems. I will be there

If you truly want to eliminate the problem put a winning team on the field week in and week out. Wouldn't matter then what the schedule was. Students would show up. Most of them if in town this weekend likely would opt for doing something outside in the great fall weather instead of an afternoon in RA. Start hanging Ws on the board and the opposite would be true.

If you truly want to eliminate the problem put a winning team on the field week in and week out. Wouldn't matter then what the schedule was. Students would show up. Most of them if in town this weekend likely would opt for doing something outside in the great fall weather instead of an afternoon in RA. Start hanging Ws on the board and the opposite would be true.

I think we all agree with this. Just win baby.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT