ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN reveals its harder to get on Purdue drum team than Purdue's football team

Dec 23, 2014
It was just 2nd down and 1. ONE YARD. ONE DAMN YARD. Purdue went 2nd and zero, 3rd and zero, and 4th and ZERO. Three tries and zero yards. That is how physically dominated Purdue is. Right before that ESPN because there is just absolutely nothing positive to say about this football team they focused on the drum crew about how they are more athletic than the football players. They have to pass a 400 meter dash, a 100 meter dash, a mile and half run, sit-ups, pushups, bench press, hell half if not more than half the Purdue defense and offensive lines can't pass that test. Purdue can't even get 1 yard rushing after 3 tries. And Iowa isn't even that athletic a team. They are playing basic smash mouth and running over Purdue like a freight train.

There is not a single lineman on this offense that could pass the drum crews physical fitness test. These are fat out of shape flabby arms flabby body blocking dummies that have no aggression and no purpose being on a D1 football team. Hazell wanted them and after 4 years of coaching has molded these un-ahtletic bodies into fatter more un-athletic bodies. At least Hope had athletes. They couldn't play but they could physically be as good as most D1 teams. Hazell has Purdue getting beat from play one most of the time. Iowa has two tailbacks with 200 yards each. If that isn't an indication of out of shape defensive lineman then I don't know what is.

Who recruits these people? Good teams recruit defensive backs and lineman first. Rosters like Ohio State have very athletic oversized and fast corners as well as lineman that are by no means just fat slobs with softy attitudes. A team like that can have just that nucleus and a terrible QB and below average receivers and tailbacks and beat Purdue by 50 points. Yet year after year Purdue goes out and recruits these just lethargic fat incredibly slow and unathletic fat lineman. What is the matter with the recruiters repeating this for two decades now. TWO DECADES ALREADY. It doesn't work. Go recruit athletic lineman already like all the winning teams do. If you can't be smart enough to know what works THEN COPY THE OTHER PROGRAMS THAT DO AND DO WHAT THE HELL THEY DO ALREADY.

Last edited:
I was on the Purdue World's Largest Drum Crew back in 1989. Shit, now I think I should have tried out for QB instead. BTW, running along side that thing once it got moving was not easy. Leaping, hitting it in stride and trying not to get run over was harder than it looks. I noticed today's drummers don't do the double leg lift while running like we used to do. By the time the pre-game and National Anthem was completed I was whipped. Sure was fun though

Reactions: Boiler Wolf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT