ADVERTISEMENT

Eron Hodges

It must have been egregious. He was huge

I follow his Twitter pretty close. Awhile back (time flys so maybe a year?) he mentioned some other programs were reporting him for possible violations/infractions and his demeanor and his Twitter profile changed. Then a couple months ago he tweeted to a guy something to the effect "i'm here now but... i'll be repping another school...".

Lately it seems he's been less Purdue and more Instagram/promotion type stuff. Combine that with a recruiting class that was not as stellar on a player ranking basis than previously (can't blame Hodges though) and with the fact Hodges actually posted information (like our beloved bat signals) which Jeff seems so paranoid about, it makes sense it ended. I liked the guy though, best of luck moving forward.

I follow his Twitter pretty close. Awhile back (time flys so maybe a year?) he mentioned some other programs were reporting him for possible violations/infractions and his demeanor and his Twitter profile changed. Then a couple months ago he tweeted to a guy something to the effect "i'm here now but... i'll be repping another school...".

Lately it seems he's been less Purdue and more Instagram/promotion type stuff. Combine that with a recruiting class that was not as stellar on a player ranking basis than previously (can't blame Hodges though) and with the fact Hodges actually posted information (like our beloved bat signals) which Jeff seems so paranoid about, it makes sense it ended. I liked the guy though, best of luck moving forward.
I noticed the trend in his posting detail as well on Twitter. Appeared he wanted recruits to go to Instagram? I'm not an instagram person, so I know nothing of that. Noticed also that Brady backed off a tremedous amount of Purdue twitter in this same timeline.
Couple that with a much weaker (from a National perspective) recruiting class and that is a recipe for a change is needed. Seemed like a good guy, but there may be another person that can do the job equally as well or better.
We'll see.

Last edited:
To have the turnover that is taking place right now, it screams "instability" which is not a good thing...heading into a year in which results justifiably are going to be expected...on and off of the field.

It is more concerning given the poor hires made a year ago, as, those were pretty big mistakes that cannot be repeated.

There is a ton of work to be done on the field, and, now a lot to be done off of it as well with at least 3 staff positions to be filled...at a time where due to the past two years and the uncertainty as a result moving forward, make filling those positions with quality individuals more difficult than they already were.

I hope there is a solid plan with buy in from A.D. and Admin. Past performance doesn’t guarantee future results, that should be good. I’m also hoping the search firm bringing forth the candidates does a much better job as well.
I have to be honest, the last year in total and where we are now, seems eerily similar to the last few coaching regimes. The only difference is that Purdue is now throwing much more money at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inspector100
Yeah, I bet it was recruiting violation related. Loved Hodges, but he did play pretty fast and loose with the rules, or at least seemed to, to me. With the transfer things opening up, I remember him basically telling kids on Twitter to basically contact him before they hit the portal (again my interruption of what he said) which really seemed a step to far to basically be openly going after still committed players. Most of his tweets were not directly to anyone, but often the wording seemed like they were directed at individuals, they just were not named. And that was what he put out in public, so imagine what the DMs were like.

I hate to see Hodges go, but when you try to play right on the edge of the rules, this is often what happens.

Last edited:
This forum is schizophrenic.

Our recruiting dropped to 71st nationally. Hodges was in charge of player personnel (i.e., recruiting).

Not sure what was going on behind the scenes, if anything, but this forum looks like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" world.
Your post, especially about this forum, is 100% correct. I do not see this as a loss or even instability but more so trying to right the ship. Our recruiting was not good at all and as you pointed out Hodges was directly responsible for that and add in potential rules violations? Yeah, you let rule breakers go.

It's funny, some on here are quick to want to fire Painter for failing to run zone or use a timeout, but Brohm lets someone else go for under performing/potentially breaking rules and it's like he ran over their cat.

Honest question: is a guy in Hodges position that much of an influence to a recruit in choosing a school? Did we have a guy like this when Tiller was coach, or is this a fairly new position these days? Just trying to guage how much of a loss this actually is. Seems as though Hodges was well liked.

Honest question: is a guy in Hodges position that much of an influence to a recruit in choosing a school? Did we have a guy like this when Tiller was coach, or is this a fairly new position these days? Just trying to guage how much of a loss this actually is. Seems as though Hodges was well liked.
In short, YES.

Tiller's recruiting coordinator was none other than Danny Hope.

I was living out of state at the time, and I remember him being cited as one of the best recruiting coordinators in the business.

Reactions: Ron_
I think Danny Hope would be great at it. He seemed to love his guys and they seemed to really like him as well. He is really enthusiastic

Last edited:
Reactions: Level 42 and Ron_
I think Danny Hope would be great at it. He seemed to love his guys and they seemed to really like him as well. He is really enthusiastic
I met Danny Hope and believe what you say to be true. Only caveat would be to make sure he has a tech savvy sidekick working with him in lockstep unison. That is the main difference of then and now. Must be able to reach and communicate in every form of tech media to the younger generation and those trends change nearly every year or sooner. I.E. Facebook is for Grandpa and Grandma. Twitter is old...Instagram is likely nearing obsolescence.
Keep up with the trends my friends.

Reactions: Tommaker
Times have changed. Severely.

I met Danny Hope and believe what you say to be true. Only caveat would be to make sure he has a tech savvy sidekick working with him in lockstep unison. That is the main difference of then and now. Must be able to reach and communicate in every form of tech media to the younger generation and those trends change nearly every year or sooner. I.E. Facebook is for Grandpa and Grandma. Twitter is old...Instagram is likely nearing obsolescence.
Keep up with the trends my friends.
These days the kids are on Tiktok, Snapchat, instagram, and Twitter, in that order.

Reactions: HarrysPostGame13

I worked in the recruiting offices when he was HC. I saw him daily, saw his interactions with staff/players/recruits/families...he's a hell of a man when it comes to that. On field and game planning people can have their opinion. But from what I saw I think he is a great fit in the football world.

This forum is schizophrenic.

Our recruiting dropped to 71st nationally. Hodges was in charge of player personnel (i.e., recruiting).

Not sure what was going on behind the scenes, if anything, but this forum looks like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" world.

have you ever heard sports radio guys say “one week you guys all want the coach fired, the next week he wins a game and he’s a hero”...?

If you ever call and say “uh, do you think maybe two different groups of people are calling,” they will cut that call off faster than if you began yelling obscenities ...

and the reason is that the answer to my would be question is “yeah I guess it is two different groups of people.. so, it looks like my fake outrage was beyond stupid and there isn’t actually a point to my show existing.”

this Board.. whether it’s

kirsch orton
Kirsch painter
Is brohm good vs is brohm bad...

Is generally 95% myopic people who start with a conclusion and then work backwards based on whatever they see.. split into two big groups, and about 5% people who think for themselves and don’t have a fanatical world view they are trying to prove.

case in point. I don’t think 38 can play big ten football at a high level. However, if he returns and plays like 41.. I’ll be the first one to say I was wrong and give him high praise.

95% of this Board would either say nothing or look for some bs reason why he didn’t play that good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT