ADVERTISEMENT

enjoy a little humor on the surface and potential concern with thought...

At one time appliances were built for reliability. Today they are designed to cost a lot but fail in a relatively few years to increase new product sales. I'm convinced that Boeing is going down the same path.

At one time appliances were built for reliability. Today they are designed to cost a lot but fail in a relatively few years to increase new product sales. I'm convinced that Boeing is going down the same path.
Yes refrigerators to last 8 to 10 years. Higher efficiency furnaces have thinner metal and don’t last as long either. Efficiency/ production costs and sales price. Throw away product for the landfills. 😊

Yes refrigerators to last 8 to 10 years. Higher efficiency furnaces have thinner metal and don’t last as long either. Efficiency/ production costs and sales price. Throw away product for the landfills. 😊
We gave $1200 for a Whirlpool commercial grade washer. 3 1/2 years later the thing crapped out. Needed a new board. $500 plus labor. Went to a local appliance store and gave 600 for a new plain jane washer. If I have to replace it every 3 years I'm still ahead. Ridiculous that two people can only get a little over three years out of one.

Reactions: tjreese
We gave $1200 for a Whirlpool commercial grade washer. 3 1/2 years later the thing crapped out. Needed a new board. $500 plus labor. Went to a local appliance store and gave 600 for a new plain jane washer. If I have to replace it every 3 years I'm still ahead. Ridiculous that two people can only get a little over three years out of one.
I "had" a Samsung refrigerator that I bought 3 1/2 years ago. Kim talked me into an extended warranty (Lowes) which I rarely do. Had all the initial fixes taken place knowing the issues with the ice maker as well as a couple of other house calls for fixes. A few weeks ago it started leaking water . I believe it was defrosting too often since I disconnected the water line and shut off the ice maker and continued leaking. Guy that had been repairing it put me in for a new refrigerator and I got two checks for a bit over $2000 and bought a GE that we LOVE and can actually hold more than the slightly larger Samsung. Plus it has the ice maker where it should be...with the freezer area rather than the refrigerator area that has problems if air leakage...

My air conditioner went out during the real hot week. It had to be replaced as it was 8 years old to the day. Last week bought a home warranty on the appliances, furnace, air conditioner and electrical. It has a $60.00 deductible, but got 6 years of protection for $2140.00. They don’t care how old your equipment is. This is the first time I’ve ever bought any type of insurance on this type of things. We will see how it goes.

My air conditioner went out during the real hot week. It had to be replaced as it was 8 years old to the day. Last week bought a home warranty on the appliances, furnace, air conditioner and electrical. It has a $60.00 deductible, but got 6 years of protection for $2140.00. They don’t care how old your equipment is. This is the first time I’ve ever bought any type of insurance on this type of things. We will see how it goes.
I've always figured the math mean favored the insurance company and rarely bought insurance, but glad I did on the refrigerator.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I've always figured the math mean favored the insurance company and rarely bought insurance, but glad I did on the refrigerator.
I agree, but with the junk we have to buy now it might be a good deal on this insurance. Time will tell. 😁

"Planned obsolescense" is an old ploy from the 1970's that ultimately backfired and opened the door for imported products made with higher quality. Looks like history is repeating itself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT