ADVERTISEMENT

End zone flip

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
For those with a better memory than mine.. who was it a few years ago that got a personal foul for flipping into the end zone. I swear that was the first thing going through my mind when #8 scored.. uh oh.. where's the flag

Did they relax the celebration rules or is this just more inconsistency in officiating?

For those with a better memory than mine.. who was it a few years ago that got a personal foul for flipping into the end zone. I swear that was the first thing going through my mind when #8 scored.. uh oh.. where's the flag

Did they relax the celebration rules or is this just more inconsistency in officiating?

I thought about that for a quick second, but there were two defenders there so the argument could be made that it was a move to avoid defenders and not a celebration.

I thought about that for a quick second, but there were two defenders there so the argument could be made that it was a move to avoid defenders and not a celebration.
That might be the distinction. If I recall the prior play the Purdue player was entering the end zone with nobody around him.

IIRC Brian Hare also got one while playing Illinois. It was not a flip. It was a Jesus pose with open arms while at Illinois. The pose drew a flag and I've seen Payne D. do the exact same thing with no flag.

Brohm should give players clear instructions to celebrate all they want on the sideline behind the players. End zone celebrations are unsportsmanlike conduct. All it takes is a 2nd unsportsmanlike conduct for ejection. I understand the moments are few and far between for players, but much like Rondale Moore, be professional, hand the ball to the ref, then go celebrate on the sidelines.

Robert Marve at ND. There was also the infamous DJ Knox slip agains Eastern Michigan that was flagged.
And someone several years ago High-5'ing Purdue Pete and getting flagged.

I think they have lightened things up as far as celebrating. The NFL certainly has. But I hate seeing the flips. Lamar Jackson actually got hurt doing his last week. Many players have gotten injured celebrating over the years.

No doubt the 'excess celebration' rule has been relaxed and it may be extinct. When was the last time you have seen it called in a college game? I can't remember one in the past ten years.

No doubt the 'excess celebration' rule has been relaxed and it may be extinct. When was the last time you have seen it called in a college game? I can't remember one in the past ten years.
Like 2 years ago is the last I remember. The Ole Miss player pretending to be a dog peeing on the goal post against Miss St. after scoring at the end of the game.

And then Ole Miss missing the ensuing long extra point that would've tied up the game.

The DJ Knox slide was 2018. But I remember thinking at the time the flag was inconsistent with the way other games were being officiated.

There are still certain gestures you can't make. I believe a throat slash drew a flag a few years ago.

IIRC Brian Hare also got one while playing Illinois. It was not a flip. It was a Jesus pose with open arms while at Illinois. The pose drew a flag and I've seen Payne D. do the exact same thing with no flag.

Brohm should give players clear instructions to celebrate all they want on the sideline behind the players. End zone celebrations are unsportsmanlike conduct. All it takes is a 2nd unsportsmanlike conduct for ejection. I understand the moments are few and far between for players, but much like Rondale Moore, be professional, hand the ball to the ref, then go celebrate on the sidelines.
Bet you’re a blast at parties!

And someone several years ago High-5'ing Purdue Pete and getting flagged.

I think they have lightened things up as far as celebrating. The NFL certainly has. But I hate seeing the flips. Lamar Jackson actually got hurt doing his last week. Many players have gotten injured celebrating over the years.

That was Ralph Bolden against Michigan State back in (I think) 2009.

Reactions: FirstDownB

The flip was one thing, then he took off his helmet in celebration!! I'm not sure how he didn't get flagged for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT