ADVERTISEMENT

Embery, Hunter or Llewellyn - Best player we are recruiting?

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Sure each player we recruit are different positions.....but of the guys we are realistically now recruiting who do you think is the best player/difference maker for Purdue?

I will take Llewellyn to add with TW. I think he is a difference maker @ point. He sure looks like the real deal and distributes well with great size at the point, and fits the team & high scoring offense we have seen lately from Purdue. I think he is ranked way lower than where he should be.

Or do you like Hunter's dominate scoring the best?

Or is the physical dominance of Embery just so overwhelming you want him out front at guard?

Or someone else?

(BTW - I did like Dowuona & Bates the best, who I thought both were way, way under valued in rank, but I think the new big offers by Purdue out there signifies they may no longer be an option.)

Last edited:
Sure each player we recruit are different positions.....but of the guys we are realistically now recruiting who do you think is the best player/difference maker for Purdue?

I will take Llewellyn to add with TW. I think he is a difference maker @ point. He sure looks like the real deal and distributes well with great size at the point, and fits the team & high scoring offense we have seen lately from Purdue. I think he is ranked way lower than where he should be.

Or someone else?

(BTW - I did like Bates the best, who I thought was way, way under valued in his rank, but I think the new big offers by Purdue out there signifies he is no longer an option.)
the way things are shaking, I would like both of these guys.

the way things are shaking, I would like both of these guys.

I said long ago when people on here were touting their ideal class of Hunter, DA and Dowuona to go w/ TW...that we would be lucky to land 1 of those 3. Additionally, we would be lucky to land one of Hunter or Llewelynn. But I would take the latter.

Llewellyn is a PG and Hunter is more of a SG/Combo guard so both.

A better either/or scenario would be Hunter and Embery since they are more like Combo guards. In that scenario (not popular opinion) I would lean Embery. He has a build of a guy in his 20's and I see him being more physical at the rim with contact

Llewellyn is a PG and Hunter is more of a SG/Combo guard so both.

A better either/or scenario would be Hunter and Embery since they are more like Combo guards. In that scenario (not popular opinion) I would lean Embery. He has a build of a guy in his 20's and I see him being more physical at the rim with contact

I was just talking about who has the chance to be more of a difference maker for Purdue, regardless of position of the guys we are recruiting.

Your thought on Embery is valid as he does look more physical. But I am not sure which of Hunter or Embery is the better outside shooter. Thought that was Hunter....but I could be wrong. Respect for shooting is where drives start.

I was just talking about who has the chance to be more of a difference maker for Purdue, regardless of position of the guys we are recruiting.

Your thought on Embery is valid as he does look more physical. But I am not sure which of Hunter or Embery is the better outside shooter. Thought that was Hunter....but I could be wrong. Respect for shooting is where drives start.
Gotcha.

Embery said in his GBI interview that one of the things he is working on the most is his consistency from 3 point line. Hunter has a very fluid stroke and will be able to get buckets at will.

Honestly you could probably get both 2 of either Hunter, Embery or Llewellyn and you would have an impressive back court.

Or someone else?

(BTW - I did like Dowuona & Bates the best, who I thought both were way, way under valued in rank, but I think the new big offers by Purdue out there signifies they may no longer be an option.)

I would happily take either Llewellyn,Hunter, or Embry and not complain. 2 of the 3 and I would be ecstatic. You can never have enough quality guard depth in college basketball, and all three look to be impact players.

Llewellyn's offer list is very impressive, which is usually a good indicator of the impact a player will have. So I would say he would be a major get if he committed.

Agree with the posters, let's hope we can lock one down, before going bonkers about a 2nd guy. Trying to not get my hopes up, college recruiting is crazy for sure, kid says one thing and does something else. Let's get the "one" that really wants to be a Boiler and a difference maker with ice water in his veins!!

as both Edwards and Eastern are combo guards and could play either position, I look at who will be leaving and what their loss creates. With Dakota leaving, I'd prefer going after a pure 3 point shooter rather than a slashing scorer.

on the other hand, with PJ leaving, we need a guy who is a good ball distributer if Eastern or Edwards are in foul trouble or are injured. You need somebody who can come off the bench and run the show.

My order of preference would be:

Hunter
Llewellyn
Embery

and I'd love to have two out of those three along with a tall SF and one last PF/C. With haarms being a perimeter guy , and Williams being an in the paint type guy, I'm not sure if I'd want a C or PF. it's sort of like MSU. they have a bunch of talented PFs, and they will probably start 2 PFs each game

I think Hunter ends up jumping on board after July considering he took a visit a recently to concentrate solely on relationships and to get a feel for where he might fit. It gives a lot of flexibility for Purdue at their 1-3 position. On the offensive end a combination of Hunter and Edwards, who have similar styles to their games, allows Purdue to put two players with an affinity to score in multiple ways on the floor at the same time. Although this puts essentially puts two of your guards at 6'3 or shorter, combined with Eastern it allows the taller Eastern to defend the longer wing players.

After that, I think Embry ends up a Boilermaker. He may end up taking another visit to Purdue in the fall to solidify his options.

A side thought: some of these recruits may be waiting until Purdue is done with the University Games to see how the team looks. If Purdue looks good and wins, you could see some guys jump on board with the good exposure. It'd be nice to get Langford to jump on board a sign that would really signify that CMP has taken the program another step forward in the eyes of many...but until Langford cuts his choices down and leaves out the Boilers, I'll hold out the hope he ends up in Gold and Black.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT