ADVERTISEMENT

Edey defense

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
I’ve really been impressed with Edey’s defense this year. Yesterday, I felt like he completely shut down the lane, but he also is very active and moving better in space. As much credit as he gets for his offense, yesterday I thought he was equally effective on defense.

His loss of 10 lbs as we've heard has to have a lot to do with it. He's going to over-commit to the block occasionally and we're going to have to live with that and hope there's rotation from the weak side.

His loss of 10 lbs as we've heard has to have a lot to do with it. He's going to over-commit to the block occasionally and we're going to have to live with that and hope there's rotation from the weak side.
the only negative I've seen, he could do a little better getting rebounds on the D end. We still give up too many 2nd and 3rd chances when guys are under the basket.

the only negative I've seen, he could do a little better getting rebounds on the D end. We still give up too many 2nd and 3rd chances when guys are under the basket.

Missing 2nd chance rebounds ....More a function of having Gillis in than Furst @ the 4....better rebounder against size & length.

Yes we're going to have to live with the longest (?) player in college hoops altering shots.

I’ve really been impressed with Edey’s defense this year. Yesterday, I felt like he completely shut down the lane, but he also is very active and moving better in space. As much credit as he gets for his offense, yesterday I thought he was equally effective on defense.
Most all the NBA feedback was about mobility and being able to defend pick and roll. As the nba testing showed, he's quicker laterally than many smaller guys we 'assumed' (TJD) were quicker because they were smaller. Ok, and not white. When he dropped down into a low defensive stance after switching off onto a little guard a few games back I could see the change in him. Obviously being part of a NPOY returning is the assumption/promise/contract they they are going to get more freedom to be themselves. Helped immensely by Furst being a very capable backup and with TKR giving us 15 fouls at the position.
His improved quickness is so telling on the blocked shots. Several of the "no way he gets there. OMG he GOT it" variety. The short quick one last night was stunning.
After previous game and the frustrations of the 1st half I gotta admit I thought to myself that maybe he's NOT improved dramatically this offseason.(for the first time)
Then he got it going. :)

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Most all the NBA feedback was about mobility and being able to defend pick and roll. As the nba testing showed, he's quicker laterally than many smaller guys we 'assumed' (TJD) were quicker because they were smaller. Ok, and not white. When he dropped down into a low defensive stance after switching off onto a little guard a few games back I could see the change in him. Obviously being part of a NPOY returning is the assumption/promise/contract they they are going to get more freedom to be themselves. Helped immensely by Furst being a very capable backup and with TKR giving us 15 fouls at the position.
His improved quickness is so telling on the blocked shots. Several of the "no way he gets there. OMG he GOT it" variety. The short quick one last night was stunning.
After previous game and the frustrations of the 1st half I gotta admit I thought to myself that maybe he's NOT improved dramatically this offseason.(for the first time)
I think that by pushing the tempo after half may have helped, much better basketball

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
I think that Edey is a bit of a unicorn and I am not sure that the NBA guys have many comps to compare him to. Not many guys his size and weight can match his agility and skill. There will be some risk in drafting him, but I have to think that he has a niche that he can fill in the NBA.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I think that Edey is a bit of a unicorn and I am not sure that the NBA guys have many comps to compare him to. Not many guys his size and weight can match his agility and skill. There will be some risk in drafting him, but I have to think that he has a niche that he can fill in the NBA.
I would think someone would take a shot on him and see if he can adjust to the speed of the nba. Hopefully they give him a few years to sort it out

I find it quite humorous that other fan bases that haven’t seen him before can’t grasp the fact that he doesn’t foul. They think since he’s so big that he “has to be slow and just fouls all the time”, when in reality, he’s a really smart defensive player and understands who he is as a player. He just has to stand there with hands up and it makes it super difficult for anyone to score over him around the paint. But he is more than that (we all know that) and is able to block shots and alter them when he wants. Hope he is able to defend the PnR this year, which as others have said, was a majority of the feedback from the combine.

I do wish they’d give him a few more calls when he’s gettin hacked down low…probably just a pipe dream 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT