ADVERTISEMENT

ECU fires coach…

Dear Bobo:

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

There are advantages in firing HC now before the season officially ends:

1. It gives notice that a HC job is open and that coaches (who are still employed elsewhere) can have time to think about the opportunity before their agents get involved.
2. It seems that most coaching hires in December (especially early December) already had initial contacts via agents as the season was winding down. (It may not have been official contacts but very preliminary contacts with agents representing individuals who know of coaches)
3. If you wait until Dec. 1 to fire a HC and then start a search committee to hopefully make a decision by the end of December, it typically is too late and the choice candidates have been hired by some other school.

I think if you're going to do it, you absolutely do it tomorrow. The season is lost. Start the search process immediately and have something ready December 1st to get on the recruiting trail. Save what we can and work the portal hard.

If we were something like 3-4 I might think otherwise.

I think if you're going to do it, you absolutely do it tomorrow. The season is lost. Start the search process immediately and have something ready December 1st to get on the recruiting trail. Save what we can and work the portal hard.

If we were something like 3-4 I might think otherwise.
RW probably bought some time with the close game against Illinois. But at this point, get it done sooner rather than later.

ECU isn't even that bad. They're 3-4.

1. It gives notice that a HC job is open and that coaches (who are still employed elsewhere) can have time to think about the opportunity before their agents get involved.
2. It seems that most coaching hires in December (especially early December) already had initial contacts via agents as the season was winding down. (It may not have been official contacts but very preliminary contacts with agents representing individuals who know of coaches)
3. If you wait until Dec. 1 to fire a HC and then start a search committee to hopefully make a decision by the end of December, it typically is too late and the choice candidates have been hired by some other school.
The conversations with other coaches should be happening now. Regardless of Walters

The conversations with other coaches should be happening now. Regardless of Walters
I am not familiar if there are any NCAA limitations on this. But coaches' contracts with their universities may prohibit contact unless the university is formally contacted. It may vary from contract to contract.

I am not familiar if there are any NCAA limitations on this. But coaches' contracts with their universities may prohibit contact unless the university is formally contacted. It may vary from contract to contract.
There are ways around that, just like players not being able to communicate if they are in the portal. Brohm was actively telling Louisville he was coming while coaching at Purdue.

We can all see what a rushed hiring process can cost a program.

With the NIL, transfer portal, and huge tv contracts, it is a business. Fire Walters now and get a plan ready. We need recruits and possible transfers know that we are serious about turning this program around.
Only hire a successful head coach that can bring his staff and can evaluate talent.
Let's not be cute with the next hire.......

With the business nature of college sports, many of these coaches have agents. I sure interest questions can get back to these coaches.

I meant rushed. Which coaching decision was rushed?
We played in the BT Championship on Dec 3rd. Satterfield was announced at Cincy on Dec 5th. Brohm was announced at UL on Dec 8th. Walters was announced at Purdue on Dec 13.

We played in the BT Championship on Dec 3rd. Satterfield was announced at Cincy on Dec 5th. Brohm was announced at UL on Dec 8th. Walters was announced at Purdue on Dec 13.
Thanks for posting the timeline. Purdue only had a 3-day notice that Brohm was leaving.

I never thought that Brohm as a good hire. Whenever you hire someone who makes it clear that they have a specific dream job elsewhere and they will jump as soon as it is open, you should pass and look for a long-term investment.

Brohm jumps in 3 days and many of his recruits go into the transfer portal, depleting Purdue's talent roster.

What does Purdue do? They hire a young inexperienced coach that may have potential. They needed to hire a veteran head coach that could take over the remainder of what Brohm built.

Walters was definitely a rusher. Brohm was announced on December 8th at UL and Walters was announced December 13th.
Sure. That really means nothing. When did they start having the conversations with other coaches? Probably well before December 8th.

Thanks for posting the timeline. Purdue only had a 3-day notice that Brohm was leaving.

I never thought that Brohm as a good hire. Whenever you hire someone who makes it clear that they have a specific dream job elsewhere and they will jump as soon as it is open, you should pass and look for a long-term investment.

Brohm jumps in 3 days and many of his recruits go into the transfer portal, depleting Purdue's talent roster.

What does Purdue do? They hire a young inexperienced coach that may have potential. They needed to hire a veteran head coach that could take over the remainder of what Brohm built.
Purdue knew before Brohm left that Brohm was leaving. They knew before the season started he was leaving.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Sure. That really means nothing. When did they start having the conversations with other coaches? Probably well before December 8th.
I'm not sure of that. If Satterfield had not jumped Brohm wouldn't have left. Satterfield knew some wanted Brohm and were looking to fire him no matter what. Satterfield had done a decent job in recruiting and got them to a bowl game so it was questionable whether he would leave or not. But obviously he had heard the rumbles and bolted. If that was the case Bobinski was truly in a box. Not able to truly call anyone to get real interest until Brohm said he was leaving.

I'm not sure of that. If Satterfield had not jumped Brohm wouldn't have left. Satterfield knew some wanted Brohm and were looking to fire him no matter what. Satterfield had done a decent job in recruiting and got them to a bowl game so it was questionable whether he would leave or not. But obviously he had heard the rumbles and bolted. If that was the case Bobinski was truly in a box. Not able to truly call anyone to get real interest until Brohm said he was leaving.
Sure, but Satt was going to be fired if he didn’t jump and even then, Bobinski should have had a list because Brohm had said he was planning to leave. Reach out and see if they would come. If it doesn’t open, ok. They called some big name coaches before Walter’s.

RW probably bought some time with the close game against Illinois. But at this point, get it done sooner rather than later.

ECU isn't even that bad. They're 3-4.

Yeah, but Houston was in his 5th season at ECU, not midway through year 2.

It's a big swing for ECU, especially considering they went to a bowl game in '21 and '22. Shows how much the college football landscape has changed. We'll see if it turns out to be a productive swing.

Reactions: fayncbolier

Couple things here.

We all knew eventually Brohm would go home. MBob should have been ready for it for several years, and then especially during the course of 2022. That doesn't mean he wasn't the right hire in 2017.

I'm not sure we could have hired someone besides Brohm that would have taken the program where he did. Meaning, if you're going to pass on someone that has a dream job elsewhere, you're more likely to get a coach that isn't worth it. There aren't a whole lot of Joe Tillers out there.

My issue with this take is that we'll probably never know how many experienced head coaches turned Purdue down before Bobinski settled on Walters. I seem to recall at least 1 or 2 turned down the job publicly, and it's hard to know how many others did either quietly or by not taking Bobinski's call.

I get that Walters was a very risky hire. What I think is less certain is that he was the direction Bobinski wanted to go.

There are ways around that, just like players not being able to communicate if they are in the portal. Brohm was actively telling Louisville he was coming while coaching at Purdue.
I'd like to think our long list of football greats (Brees, Woodson, Herrmann, Alstott, Colvin, Stratton, Kerrigan, et.al.) are well aware of the existing $hit-show, and would be willing to help influence/beat the bushes (in a sub-rosa fashion) for a suitable replacement....

Bobo absolutely must be able to pivot and act decisively when the time comes--- he better have learned from the Brohm debacle, or his head needs to be on the chopping block as well...

In retrospect, it looks more and more like the ONLY person who didn't realize that Brohm would leave was Bobinski!

Why wasn't Brohm willing to help ease the the transition to his successor, and ensure at least a modicum of organization?? Why wasn't some type of glide path in place ??

oh I forgot , he marooned his brother at Purdue as a sham "coach" for a couple weeks to oversee a bowl game debacle as he prepared for his coronation.

I guess we all should be grateful for a few seasons of fun fake punts and a smattering of memorable upsets, mixed in with a whole lot of "meh"

Purdue was totally and thoroughly played by this guy.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18

Perhaps we can pay ECU to take Walters!

In retrospect, it looks more and more like the ONLY person who didn't realize that Brohm would leave was Bobinski!

Why wasn't Brohm willing to help ease the the transition to his successor, and ensure at least a modicum of organization?? Why wasn't some type of glide path in place ??

oh I forgot , he marooned his brother at Purdue as a sham "coach" for a couple weeks to oversee a bowl game debacle as he prepared for his coronation.

I guess we all should be grateful for a few seasons of fun fake punts and a smattering of memorable upsets, mixed in with a whole lot of "meh"

If you don’t think Bobinski knew, you are being naive

If you don’t think Bobinski knew, you are being naive
Just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Even if he'd caught lightning in a bottle in hiring CRW (instead of catching dog vomit in a pail of spoiled milk and eggs), there is no denying this was a rushed, seat-of-the-pants hiring process.

Again--my hope is that Bobo has learned something from this debacle.

Just trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Even if he'd caught lightning in a bottle in hiring CRW (instead of catching dog vomit in a pail of spoiled milk and eggs), there is no denying this was a rushed, seat-of-the-pants hiring process.

Again--my hope is that Bobo has learned something from this debacle.
I disagree. Nothing to prove that he didn’t do his diligence

sign me up right now for a “meh” above .500 coach…

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Couple things here.

We all knew eventually Brohm would go home. MBob should have been ready for it for several years, and then especially during the course of 2022. That doesn't mean he wasn't the right hire in 2017.

I'm not sure we could have hired someone besides Brohm that would have taken the program where he did. Meaning, if you're going to pass on someone that has a dream job elsewhere, you're more likely to get a coach that isn't worth it. There aren't a whole lot of Joe Tillers out there.
Ding ding ding. The list of qualified potential head coaches whose dream job is Purdue Football… is very short.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT