ADVERTISEMENT

ECU fires coach…

Dear Bobo:

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: purduepat1969
There are advantages in firing HC now before the season officially ends:

1. It gives notice that a HC job is open and that coaches (who are still employed elsewhere) can have time to think about the opportunity before their agents get involved.
2. It seems that most coaching hires in December (especially early December) already had initial contacts via agents as the season was winding down. (It may not have been official contacts but very preliminary contacts with agents representing individuals who know of coaches)
3. If you wait until Dec. 1 to fire a HC and then start a search committee to hopefully make a decision by the end of December, it typically is too late and the choice candidates have been hired by some other school.

I think if you're going to do it, you absolutely do it tomorrow. The season is lost. Start the search process immediately and have something ready December 1st to get on the recruiting trail. Save what we can and work the portal hard.

If we were something like 3-4 I might think otherwise.

I think if you're going to do it, you absolutely do it tomorrow. The season is lost. Start the search process immediately and have something ready December 1st to get on the recruiting trail. Save what we can and work the portal hard.

If we were something like 3-4 I might think otherwise.
RW probably bought some time with the close game against Illinois. But at this point, get it done sooner rather than later.

ECU isn't even that bad. They're 3-4.

1. It gives notice that a HC job is open and that coaches (who are still employed elsewhere) can have time to think about the opportunity before their agents get involved.
2. It seems that most coaching hires in December (especially early December) already had initial contacts via agents as the season was winding down. (It may not have been official contacts but very preliminary contacts with agents representing individuals who know of coaches)
3. If you wait until Dec. 1 to fire a HC and then start a search committee to hopefully make a decision by the end of December, it typically is too late and the choice candidates have been hired by some other school.
The conversations with other coaches should be happening now. Regardless of Walters

The conversations with other coaches should be happening now. Regardless of Walters
I am not familiar if there are any NCAA limitations on this. But coaches' contracts with their universities may prohibit contact unless the university is formally contacted. It may vary from contract to contract.

I am not familiar if there are any NCAA limitations on this. But coaches' contracts with their universities may prohibit contact unless the university is formally contacted. It may vary from contract to contract.
There are ways around that, just like players not being able to communicate if they are in the portal. Brohm was actively telling Louisville he was coming while coaching at Purdue.

We can all see what a rushed hiring process can cost a program.

With the business nature of college sports, many of these coaches have agents. I sure interest questions can get back to these coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT