ADVERTISEMENT

DT tackle added. Welcome James Boyd. If Hagen liked him, he'll likely work well in rotation.

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001

Speculating only that he is ~ 21 yrs old only on hudl and looks quick. Can't wait to see our overall defensive look take shape. His Ht and Wt looks good too.

Last edited:
He’s a juco. Wait a year and then we will see what we have.

Purdue never did that with Akin Ayodele. JUCO to starter. Did well.
With transfer portal, it is perform now and add value IF you can.
Jucos are at juco for a reason. That reason is amplified by the jump up. Whether academics or talent. (Ayodele was academics)

ayodele is abnormal. He panned out immediately. I can list just as many or more that were massive failures. Brian Cox says hello.

typically for Purdue and other similar schools it takes jucos a year to adjust and learn the system before they really contribute. Tiller admitted as much

Jucos are at juco for a reason. That reason is amplified by the jump up. Whether academics or talent. (Ayodele was academics)

ayodele is abnormal. He panned out immediately. I can list just as many or more that were massive failures. Brian Cox says hello.

typically for Purdue and other similar schools it takes jucos a year to adjust and learn the system before they really contribute. Tiller admitted as much
Can’t profess to know his academics. He has the build. If he has the strength and quickness, then it is a no brainer to get him in the rotation. Purdue is not in a position for bench warmers. We went to the market for a reason. If he earns his keeps, he’ll play.
With all the online course offerings, there should be no issue starting 6/14-8/3 for 3 credit hours, so he could have an easier transition this fall. Old Days of grinding Maymester are history.

Reactions: BSIT
Can’t profess to know his academics. He has the build. If he has the strength and quickness, then it is a no brainer to get him in the rotation. Purdue is not in a position for bench warmers. We went to the market for a reason. If he earns his keeps, he’ll play.
With all the online course offerings, there should be no issue starting 6/14-8/3 for 3 credit hours, so he could have an easier transition this fall. Old Days of grinding Maymester are history.
He didn’t qualify for Syracuse out of prep school.

we have a lot of players with experience along the line. Watts and Johnson probably have nose. I’m assuming Lewis or deen will play 3 technique.

Most Juco is 2 years, one of which counts as a redshirt year, meaning it would be typical to have 3 years of eligibility if you enter straight from high school. With Covid, last year might not count, so 4 is possible

Most Juco is 2 years, one of which counts as a redshirt year, meaning it would be typical to have 3 years of eligibility if you enter straight from high school. With Covid, last year might not count, so 4 is possible
You hit it. He has 4 because of Covid.

I’m a big Jaycen Taylor fan so I’ll give you that one. Ninko played because Edwards was a shithead
Rob benefitted greatly for Ray’s attitude in his Sr year and beyond.

I hope Purdue gains depth with quality of players that can come in and perform without a drop off. That will be the difference of winning and losing seasons. Having 5-6 DT’s that can play will be a luxury we haven’t seen in 2-3 seasons or more.

I hope Purdue gains depth with quality of players that can come in and perform without a drop off. That will be the difference of winning and losing seasons. Having 5-6 DT’s that can play will be a luxury we haven’t seen in 2-3 seasons or more.
Ray was gone in robs sr year. You’re thinking of 2005 when they were both jrs

Speculating only that he is ~ 21 yrs old only on hudl and looks quick. Can't wait to see our overall defensive look take shape. His Ht and Wt looks good too.

1 player in the fold and 2 more to go. 36 days and counting. Doing better than I expected at this point. Hoping for 1 RB and 1 OL. What are you hoping Purdue gets?

Reactions: Beorik
1 player in the fold and 2 more to go. 36 days and counting. Doing better than I expected at this point. Hoping for 1 RB and 1 OL. What are you hoping Purdue gets?
RB is Keyon Henry Brooks from Vanderbilt if they can sort out the academics. And I think they are still trying to get the OL from one of the military academies but are struggling to get him cleared.

RB is Keyon Henry Brooks from Vanderbilt if they can sort out the academics. And I think they are still trying to get the OL from one of the military academies but are struggling to get him cleared.
You’re thinking of the dt from Air Force. He signed with the rams

I am happy with our rbs personally. At least at the top 2 spots. OL is always something to look for so I concur there. I wouldn’t mind seeing a LB or Safety added with the OL though.

Reactions: PrintersRowBoiler

I'm not a believer in the 'learning the system' thing, especially when it comes to defense. Sure, there's certain stunts, etc, that a D Coord will run, but really, for a DT, it's gap responsibility and get the guy with the ball. It's not that sophisticated.

Truth. Our DL would hold up for 3 qtrs the last few years but with a lack of quality depth, they'd be worn down come the 4th Qtr and start giving up chunk plays on the ground or couldn't generate a pass rush.

Reactions: MilwaukeeBoilerFan
Truth. Our DL would hold up for 3 qtrs the last few years but with a lack of quality depth, they'd be worn down come the 4th Qtr and start giving up chunk plays on the ground or couldn't generate a pass rush.
Agree, it was painfully obvious even to casual fans. Running teams were licking their chops the week they played us. Thank the Lord we didn't play a mediocre WI team. They would likely have rolled 400 yards on the ground against us based on their OL. There usual pattern against Purdue is lean on us for 3 qtrs wearing us down, then tearing us up in the 4th Qtr giving (insert RB name here) a career day.

Reactions: bonefish1

How about Rob Ninkovich?

Reactions: SDBoiler1
I really hope that hiring Hagen and Lambert and the players that they are gathering up on defense is enough to help CJB get over the hump for a winning record...... Those that i know that have played in the NFL say that Hagen is respected in coaching and recruiting circles and Lambert is not one that becomes befuddled by opposing offensive coordinators.....
Time will tell......

See above.

Also, naming one or two that panned out doesnt make up for the laundry list of flops.
Fact of the matter is, some coaches can recruit juco players better than others and the ones that are poor at it realize the consequences of their failures.......

Fact of the matter is, some coaches can recruit juco players better than others and the ones that are poor at it realize the consequences of their failures.......
Ive seen one coach do it exceedingly well (Snyder). Others will get one or two here and there and succeed, but they are getting high end players (Saban, Carroll).

Ive said it elsewhere, JUCOS are at JUCO for a reason (academics, lack of development, lack of high end talent). Once the jump is made to FBS, that reason is amplified.

Actually going back some....but... Jim Young and Leon Burnett were pretty successful in finding decent JUCO players to fill gaps in early 80's. Mel Gray came in from Coffeyville JC and led B1G in rushing and James Looney Jr was recruited from LA City College and was a steller MLB for PU. Both played in NFL My mind fails me now but I thought Mark Brown was plugged in at MLB after Looney and wasnt Steve Bryant a JUCO WR in 80'/81'?

If a hc/and or recruiting coord. do their homework, there are some gems that are capable of stepping in immediately

I’m sure he isn’t expected to play more than 25 snaps. He is probably going to play a few series a game. Probably more of a depth guy. If we could get some contribution from him, I’m sure we will be satisfied.

It’s been academics for this guy. Was supposed to go to Syracuse originally but did not qualify. Had to go to JUCO - Independence JC. I believe he had verbally committed to Texas State.

Ive seen one coach do it exceedingly well (Snyder). Others will get one or two here and there and succeed, but they are getting high end players (Saban, Carroll).

Ive said it elsewhere, JUCOS are at JUCO for a reason (academics, lack of development, lack of high end talent). Once the jump is made to FBS, that reason is amplified.

In Last Chance U on Netflix, the AD says that players are at JUCO for some combination of the 3 A's: Athletics, Academics or they're an As$hole.

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT