ADVERTISEMENT

Dominance

Kelvin Sampson, Rick Barnes, Jaime Dixon, Bruce Pearl, and Mike Brey are five very accomplished coaches not on that list. That says something about how tough it is to be that consistent for that long.

Sampson and Pearl have had trouble with the NCAA, but neither would have made it anyway. Both have had too many losing seasons. Mike Brey left college coaching last year, but he had three losing seasons before that. Dixon is doing his best at TCU. Barnes is an 800 win guy who's spent the last quarter century at Texas and Tennessee.
Mike Brey? Can’t believe you are using him in the same breath as those other guys. He made it to 10 tourneys his last 17 years… not even close. He made it to the sweet 16 three times! He was a good coach, not a great coach, and doesn’t deserve to be part of the discussion given the criteria discussed.

Barnes was at 14 of last 17 and just missed this list. Also had 9 sweet 16s.

Sampson only had 11 but at least got further with 7 sweet 16s. 3 of those were his first three at Houston and he was building up the program. And one was at iu where they made it but they fired him before the postseason.

Dixon was close at 13.

Pearl had 12.

If you ignore the * then Pitino had 13.

And despite not coaching last 2 years coach k has 14…

One final four since the Carter administration (with the easiest draw imaginable) and talking dominance lol. You bumpkins are always good for a laugh.

Mike Brey? Can’t believe you are using him in the same breath as those other guys. He made it to 10 tourneys his last 17 years… not even close. He made it to the sweet 16 three times! He was a good coach, not a great coach, and doesn’t deserve to be part of the discussion given the criteria discussed.

Barnes was at 14 of last 17 and just missed this list. Also had 9 sweet 16s.

Sampson only had 11 but at least got further with 7 sweet 16s. 3 of those were his first three at Houston and he was building up the program. And one was at iu where they made it but they fired him before the postseason.

Dixon was close at 13.

Pearl had 12.

If you ignore the * then Pitino had 13.

And despite not coaching last 2 years coach k has 14…

OK, replace Brey with Tony Bennett. He's been all over the place in the NCAA Tournament, but he has a natty. Still not as consistent making the tournament as Paint.

All I'm saying is there are very accomplished guys in this profession who haven't made the tournament as consistently as Painter.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
One final four since the Carter administration (with the easiest draw imaginable) and talking dominance lol. You bumpkins are always good for a laugh.

Did you wake up feeling mean & nasty or is it just a permanent condition with you? There is zero reason to post the way you have, or to come here as an opposing fan spouting hate.

Reactions: Schnelk and BBG
said the msu fan????????
Must be really depressing to have BEEN dominate and now see your team flailing in the wind and your HOF coach just another guy. LOL
The funny thing is he had a pretty good zinger with the one FF since the Carter administration and then he went and discredited himself by saying it was an easy draw. I'm pretty sure Purdue's draw went according to chalk more than anyone else's, playing an 8, a 5, and a 2 to get to the FF. The only way they could have played a higher seed was if 4 Kansas had beaten 5 Gonzaga and that would have been an easier draw given how worn down KU was.

Reactions: Schnelk
The funny thing is he had a pretty good zinger with the one FF since the Carter administration and then he went and discredited himself by saying it was an easy draw. I'm pretty sure Purdue's draw went according to chalk more than anyone else's, playing an 8, a 5, and a 2 to get to the FF. The only way they could have played a higher seed was if 4 Kansas had beaten 5 Gonzaga and that would have been an easier draw given how worn down KU was.
There is no draw...just pairings

His problem started when his momma let him use the computer.

What’s even crazier for this guy to be talkin “easiest draw”…

When sparty won their championship they played…

16, 8, 4, 8, and 5.

🧐

What’s even crazier for this guy to be talkin “easiest draw”…

When sparty won their championship they played…

16, 8, 4, 8, and 5.

🧐
Great point. No moral victories but I really believe that last year's Purdue team was good enough to win a NC 75% of the time. UConn was really, really good.

I expect this year's team to be very good but it will be fascinating to see if they're top 20 good or top 5 good.

Great point. No moral victories but I really believe that last year's Purdue team was good enough to win a NC 75% of the time. UConn was really, really good.

I expect this year's team to be very good but it will be fascinating to see if they're top 20 good or top 5 good.
For sure. It also doesn’t matter about seeding once you get past that first round. Theres always teams that just put it together out of nowhere:

UCLA in 2021
UNC and St Peters in 2022
VCU with Shaka (bones favorite 😂)
Miami and George Mason (Larranaga as coach for both)
UCONN with Kemba going on that crazy run that we won’t ever see again
FGCU with Dunk City
Butler

The list goes on and on, so a bit of an ignorant post by little brother Sparty

This coming season’s schedule is chock full of great teams. I expect this team to take some lumps early as they adjust to life without Edey but as long as they stay healthy, I expect them to hit their stride.

I will still fret every game like I normally do, but I’m not going to freak out over a loss, especially early on. Last season was a burden at times because every game was geared towards atoning for the year before. Now that we finally got over that hump, I’ll feel like I can at least breathe during the season lol

This coming season’s schedule is chock full of great teams. I expect this team to take some lumps early as they adjust to life without Edey but as long as they stay healthy, I expect them to hit their stride.

I will still fret every game like I normally do, but I’m not going to freak out over a loss, especially early on. Last season was a burden at times because every game was geared towards atoning for the year before. Now that we finally got over that hump, I’ll feel like I can at least breathe during the season lol
No doubt. I’m sure the players feel the same way and can play a little bit more “free”. Hope that results into them hitting their stride in mid February and making a good run in the NCAAT. Excited to see this team in action.

No doubt. I’m sure the players feel the same way and can play a little bit more “free”. Hope that results into them hitting their stride in mid February and making a good run in the NCAAT. Excited to see this team in action.
I never got the sense that last year's team felt pressure. I think it's us as fans who tended to melt down at any showing of weakness (or lack of domination), particularly long-time fans who had been waiting for a FF for decades and worried that if we didn't get it done last year it would never happen under Painter.

It will be interesting to see what type of meltdowns we see here from fans if this year's team isn't historically dominant after losing the two time NPOY.

I never got the sense that last year's team felt pressure. I think it's us as fans who tended to melt down at any showing of weakness (or lack of domination), particularly long-time fans who had been waiting for a FF for decades and worried that if we didn't get it done last year it would never happen under Painter.

It will be interesting to see what type of meltdowns we see here from fans if this year's team isn't historically dominant after losing the two time NPOY.
Haha ok ok good point. I’m sure they felt a bit of it, he did a hell of a job not showing it. They were all business and serious to achieve that goal.

But yes as fans we probably were more on edge. This year, for me, is going to just be a sit back and relax and enjoy the team and talent we have!

Will be interesting (hopefully not worse) to see fans reactions.
More intested in watching the players. I think last season gets a big monkey off the collective Boilermaker back. A loaded team that achieved what they should have.
NOW we can have a team exceed expectations and do well in the tourney playing more relaxed.
My hope anyway.

Reactions: Schnelk

I never joined in to the hype of a FF. I'm happy for the players to accomplish any goal they have in all years. I understand that is not how many see it...and I understand that. I probably get more angered or frustrated than nervous in any game

I never joined in to the hype of a FF. I'm happy for the players to accomplish any goal they have in all years. I understand that is not how many see it...and I understand that. I probably get more angered or frustrated than nervous in any game
Same. I think I posted here before that three or four seasons ago I realized that my expectations and emotional investment were so high that it was hard for me to enjoy watching the games unless the team played extremely well. It was easier said than done but letting go of those expectations and just rooting for the players to do well rather than allowing my feelings to be so wrapped up in their success has made watching games immensely more enjoyable.

We attended the OSU loss in Columbus last year and despite feeling that Zach got fouled on most of OSU's post steals, it was nice to enjoy an afternoon with family watching the Boilers without experiencing an emotional meltdown.

Same. I think I posted here before that three or four seasons ago I realized that my expectations and emotional investment were so high that it was hard for me to enjoy watching the games unless the team played extremely well. It was easier said than done but letting go of those expectations and just rooting for the players to do well rather than allowing my feelings to be so wrapped up in their success has made watching games immensely more enjoyable.

We attended the OSU loss in Columbus last year and despite feeling that Zach got fouled on most of OSU's post steals, it was nice to enjoy an afternoon with family watching the Boilers without experiencing an emotional meltdown.
as I was when younger. Now, I do get somewhat nervous or tense in important games, but that goes away pretty quick and it becomes individual things of frustration typically and what I "feel" as far as MO taking place both for and against that lead to more focus and possible anticipation of what I want to see take place. When it is over...it is over and no matter what I always understand the players and coaches put a lot more into the game before and during than any fan and hurt a lot more as well. The only game that puts me on edge is the IU game because if Purdue loses then there is a barrage of monkeys throwing feces at times and it is certainly tame compared to 30 years ago. ;)

So you’re saying it was your fault we lost at OSU?! 😂

Given that I was also at the FDU game I don’t think we can rule it out 😉
Season 18 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

• Haha
Reactions: northside100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT