ADVERTISEMENT

Dominance

We're living through probably the best period of time ever for Purdue basketball, which is pretty incredible when you think about the overall league dominance Purdue has enjoyed since the conference was ever formed.
I could not agree more. Us older guys loved Keady’s teams and Rick Mounts’ teams, but CMP has exceeded those eras, imho. I cannot wait to see what he has in store for us for the 24-25 crew.

I could not agree more. Us older guys loved Keady’s teams and Rick Mounts’ teams, but CMP has exceeded those eras, imho. I cannot wait to see what he has in store for us for the 24-25 crew.

Ditto. My earliest memories of Purdue were watching Rick Mount and Mike Phipps. This is going to be even better.

Unfortunately football was at that position in the days of Mike Phipps, but a change of head coaches killed things.

It’s pretty wild. I was a student when Big Dog played. I was fortunate to witness one of the most dominant players to ever play the game every single home game he played.

Then the baby boilers showed up and flipped the league on its head again.

But these last 5+ years have been a sustained level of excellence that I didn’t really think was possible in this day and age. The final four spotlights things of course but minus the 2019/2020 year that was cut short by Covid anyway, the run this program has been on has been really incredible.

IMO: Painter has done 2 things very well:

1. He's done a great job of recruiting guys who will make Purdue better. Gene did, too, but Painter's raised the level of athletism. Something really changed in his approach after the debacles of 2013 and 2014--and it's absolutely been for the better.

2. He's also done a fantastic job of steering the ship through some really choppy waters. Just think of how different college basketball was in 2005, before the proliferation of one-and-dones. Be super conferences. Before the transfer portal. Before NIL. Painter has navigated it all while still representing Purdue University at a very high level.

Painter learned the hard way that sauce is not what makes a meal. Sauce can ruin a meal. I mean who drowns a beautiful med-rare ribeye in A1?
Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

I believe the personality test came into play…he knew it was better to get players who fit the program/what he was trying to do, rather than chase “talent” alone and try to make things fit around the talent.
Potentially, our offer list for 2025 is currently all top 100 recruits. So he definitely still understands not every player he finds has to be a diamond in the rough.

A1 ? no Peter Luger's ? Yes
I am not familiar with Peter Luger's. Will have to check that out. For years I've gone Montreal steak seasoning without any sauce. No dig at Ronnie Johnson intended. I just like Montreal seasoning.

I am not familiar with Peter Luger's. Will have to check that out. For years I've gone Montreal steak seasoning without any sauce. No dig at Ronnie Johnson intended. I just like Montreal seasoning.
used to like till I found out there's alot of salt in it

Reactions: rgarlitz
IMO: Painter has done 2 things very well:

1. He's done a great job of recruiting guys who will make Purdue better. Gene did, too, but Painter's raised the level of athletism. Something really changed in his approach after the debacles of 2013 and 2014--and it's absolutely been for the better.

2. He's also done a fantastic job of steering the ship through some really choppy waters. Just think of how different college basketball was in 2005, before the proliferation of one-and-dones. Be super conferences. Before the transfer portal. Before NIL. Painter has navigated it all while still representing Purdue University at a very high level.
Painter has also done a good job of giving his top talent a lot of freedom, which includes making mistakes, without yanking them off the floor.

Bone…did you…just complement…. Painter?!?
ha ha....yes, I used "good job" and "Painter" in the same sentence.

But seriously, he's let guys like Carsen, Biggie, Ivey, etc, have a lot of freedom, periodically take ill-advised shots, fight through some struggles, but do it without fear of making a mistake and seeing the bench. He's given guys a lot more leash.

But seriously, he's let guys like Carsen, Biggie, Ivey, etc, have a lot of freedom, periodically take ill-advised shots, fight through some struggles, but do it without fear of making a mistake and seeing the bench. He's given guys a lot more leash.
i do think that’s something he learned from playing under Keady, that guys need to have that confidence to keep shooting. Unless you were Troy or GRob, you were on thin ice after 1 bad shot with ole Geno…

Reactions: DrEss and BBG

Proud Of You Yes GIF

i do think that’s something he learned from playing under Keady, that guys need to have that confidence to keep shooting. Unless you were Troy or GRob, you were on thin ice after 1 bad shot with ole Geno…
100% agree. That's what I was referring to in terms of a major difference between him and Keady. GRob always had the green light, but if Linc Darner launched a contested 3, he got yanked quickly.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
100% agree. That's what I was referring to in terms of a major difference between him and Keady. GRob always had the green light, but if Linc Darner launched a contested 3, he got yanked quickly.
To your point, I think this could be used as a new recruiting tool for Painter. During the Final Four and after, Painter has stressed the philosophy of finding the best two guys and then building around those two guys. If you can find a recruit that thinks he can be one of the best two guys, I'd argue Purdue may be one of the best places for him to go so he can be showcased.

That being said, I think it's a double-edged sword. Painter also tries to stay old. So coming in, you better be damned good or else you probably won't be showcased like you want with upperclassman at every position.

Reactions: Schnelk
Kelvin Sampson, Rick Barnes, Jaime Dixon, Bruce Pearl, and Mike Brey are five very accomplished coaches not on that list. That says something about how tough it is to be that consistent for that long.

Sampson and Pearl have had trouble with the NCAA, but neither would have made it anyway. Both have had too many losing seasons. Mike Brey left college coaching last year, but he had three losing seasons before that. Dixon is doing his best at TCU. Barnes is an 800 win guy who's spent the last quarter century at Texas and Tennessee.

Even Lance this year.

I just bought a 1500 degree outdoor broiler to sear my sousvide steaks. Best way to reverse sear, imo, though slow smoking and then searing is great too. Perfect medium rare every time. All that to say those steaks do *not* need A1.

But the AGEs you are creating are going to kill you.

Reactions: punaj
To your point, I think this could be used as a new recruiting tool for Painter. During the Final Four and after, Painter has stressed the philosophy of finding the best two guys and then building around those two guys. If you can find a recruit that thinks he can be one of the best two guys, I'd argue Purdue may be one of the best places for him to go so he can be showcased.

That being said, I think it's a double-edged sword. Painter also tries to stay old. So coming in, you better be damned good or else you probably won't be showcased like you want with upperclassman at every position.
I agree but that kind of backfired with Catchings. He was supposedly a day 1 starter and probably a 1 or 2 n done. But, I think Painter has shown that if you can play, even as a freshman, you'll get plenty of PT.
The problem now is, not only are you competing for the top players with early PT, but you also have to compete financially with attractive NIL packages.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT