ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Johnson

Iowa transfer DB. Sit one, play two. Anyone else have any detail? Like why he left Iowa? Was a high 3* from Indy.
Glad to get him from our most hated BT rival. Great to get an Indiana boy back home again. It sounds like he will have a great chance of getting a waiver to play this year.

Welcome Mr. Johnson!!

Until I read the article, I had not heard how toxic it sounds like the Iowa football program has become recently.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
There is speculation he could receive immediate playing status. He was one of the more vocal players against that coach. I won’t say he was the whistleblower. But he could apply for immediate playing time and under the circumstances receive it. I haven’t read if he received a scholarship or not.

Has 3 years of eligibility left. Started for Iowa as a redshirt freshman. This is a really big get.

With everything going on at Iowa he could probably get a waiver to be immediately eligible.
Has 3 years if he gets a waiver this year

Reactions: JRowdy20
Looks like he had an issue with Iowa DC Phil Parker.

I'm sure, with everything going on at Iowa, he will apply for the waiver, even if it wasn't a factor. The NCAA will be more likely than usual to approve.

This is huge. If he gains eligibility for 2020, he will be an immediate upgrade for the secondary. This defense could be a lot better than expected this year. Very strong D line. Respectable linebacker corps. And some really, really good talent in the secondary. I'm liking this a lot...

His playing time decreased as the season went along. As others mentioned he could possibly get a waiver to immediately play which would be big for this season. I never mind seeing Purdue pick up an experienced player.

Looks like he had an issue with Iowa DC Phil Parker.

I'm sure, with everything going on at Iowa, he will apply for the waiver, even if it wasn't a factor. The NCAA will be more likely than usual to approve.
I can’t possibly see the NCAA denying a transfer claim this year from any black athlete that claims racism. Iowa has already suspended their S/C coach for that.

This is like free agency in the NFL in the late 80s. It’s gonna happen, we might not like it happening but it will be OK in the end.

I like the fact he started some games as a redshirt freshman last year. This guy is both talented and has 3 years he can contribute! He is a tremendous addition.

this Is what shocked me about our previous o-line issues. Brohm is always on top of identifying our weaknesses and going after players to fill them. He’s not afraid to go after jucos, grad transfers or regular transfers to fill what he believes are glaring weaknesses. And this year is no exception.

we now have a QB, a couple of DBs, and a couple of other transfers to add both experience and talent to several positions!

this is what Brohm does best! He is a tremendous evaluator of talent. And he goes out and uses all his talents to find replacements.

I suspect Johnson will not be the last player to leave Iowa, and I know Brohm will be on top of it recruiting whom ever else decides to leave. There is a certain o-lineman with Indiana connections I’d love to steal away.

I’ll leave it to Brohm to figure out the scholarship issues. He wouldn’t have recruited him if he couldn’t clear some space for him.

I like the fact he started some games as a redshirt freshman last year. This guy is both talented and has 3 years he can contribute! He is a tremendous addition.

this Is what shocked me about our previous o-line issues. Brohm is always on top of identifying our weaknesses and going after players to fill them. He’s not afraid to go after jucos, grad transfers or regular transfers to fill what he believes are glaring weaknesses. And this year is no exception.

we now have a QB, a couple of DBs, and a couple of other transfers to add both experience and talent to several positions!

this is what Brohm does best! He is a tremendous evaluator of talent. And he goes out and uses all his talents to find replacements.

I suspect Johnson will not be the last player to leave Iowa, and I know Brohm will be on top of it recruiting whom ever else decides to leave. There is a certain o-lineman with Indiana connections I’d love to steal away.

I’ll leave it to Brohm to figure out the scholarship issues. He wouldn’t have recruited him if he couldn’t clear some space for him.

Is this actually a positive outlook from you on Brohm? I'm kind of shocked...

I've been very positive about brohm since his start.

I have been outspoken that his record has not been as great as his contract would dictate. I don't believe any coach should have received the contract he received based on his record. and as much as people blasted hazell for his mediocre recruits, they were the ones who provided Brohm's best record. I've also said a coach's winning % should be more important than his recruiting ranking. I've also said he, Allen and fleck al l started at the same time at their respective schools. who is the best coach? We shall see this year. it's his 4th year, and he did recruit a class before his first year, so with about 2-5 exceptions, for al l three coaches, these are the players they recruited.

I've said many times injuries should never be used as excuses because all teams suffer injuries. and great teams have enough depth to cover for injuries to key people. OSU lost Bosa. You didn't see them complaining or using his loss as an excuse. OSU also lost a QB one year and their back-up was even better.

And that is why I became so frustrated with brohm and his offensive line. he knew they were bad during the Spring game. usually he will be able to find a quick fix. We all know he went after several offensive linemen via juco and grad transfer routes to patch that hole. but he was unable to come through and sign anybody. On mist everything else he has been able to pull that rabbit out of the hat and work magic.

I'm sold on brohm. I'm not exactly sold on his pass happy offense. I'd rather have boring low scoring wins than high scoring loses. and I'd rather purdue go to bowl games I've actually heard of than to bowl games whose names I've forgotten after 1 year.

So yes, I love this new addition. brohm was working his magic. although I kind of though t our secondary was in good shape. Does this mean Graham is going to move to LB ?

I have been outspoken that his record has not been as great as his contract would dictate. I don't believe any coach should have received the contract he received based on his record. and as much as people blasted hazell for his mediocre recruits, they were the ones who provided Brohm's best record. I've also said a coach's winning % should be more important than his recruiting ranking. I've also said he, Allen and fleck al l started at the same time at their respective schools. who is the best coach? We shall see this year. it's his 4th year, and he did recruit a class before his first year, so with about 2-5 exceptions, for al l three coaches, these are the players they recruited.

I've said many times injuries should never be used as excuses because all teams suffer injuries. and great teams have enough depth to cover for injuries to key people. OSU lost Bosa. You didn't see them complaining or using his loss as an excuse. OSU also lost a QB one year and their back-up was even better.

And that is why I became so frustrated with brohm and his offensive line. he knew they were bad during the Spring game. usually he will be able to find a quick fix. We all know he went after several offensive linemen via juco and grad transfer routes to patch that hole. but he was unable to come through and sign anybody. On mist everything else he has been able to pull that rabbit out of the hat and work magic.

I'm sold on brohm. I'm not exactly sold on his pass happy offense. I'd rather have boring low scoring wins than high scoring loses. and I'd rather purdue go to bowl games I've actually heard of than to bowl games whose names I've forgotten after 1 year.

So yes, I love this new addition. brohm was working his magic. although I kind of though t our secondary was in good shape. Does this mean Graham is going to move to LB ?

graham was a LB in the spring.

Brohms first year also supplemented a not so good roster with a really good group of grad transfers such as starters at LB, CB, RT, LG, K. Add jucos Wright and Zico at WR.

comparing Purdue lack of depth in year three following some historically bad teams to OSU is weak. Purdue played primarily freshmen last season and lost its two best offensive and defensive players early in the season. The roster is in the best shape it’s been since he got here and with each class gets deeper.

comparing the programs at Iu, minny and Purdue before each arrived is also weak. Minny and IU had much better foundations. Brohm went to win early to build momentum rather than the long play that Fleck took. Brohms move got him Rondale which led to George and Bell, which led to... had he matched Flecks one or two win season, who know where the program would be with momentum. Instead he took some grad transfers which limits the number of players to develop. This year the roster is adding quality depth.

I'm not comparing them to before they arrived. I'm saying all three arrived at the same time to their respective schools. You cannot give credit or blame to the previous coaches at any of the three schools. this is their 4th year, and they each recruited the classes before their first season. So these are essentially their teams with a couple of exceptions. they each had an opportunity to get rid of players that didn't buy into their philosophy.

whoever comes out on top should be crowned as the best coach. And no blaming the schedule or injuries this year. great teams overcome injuries. Didn't Minn play last year with a freshmen QB ? Didn't IU play without a starting offensive lineman who started the 2 previous years? All three teams played without key personnel.

each team starts the season 0-0 . NO excuses this year. if you provide excuses for this year, the likelihood is you will always find something to blame for a loss.

I'm not comparing them to before they arrived. I'm saying all three arrived at the same time to their respective schools. You cannot give credit or blame to the previous coaches at any of the three schools. this is their 4th year, and they each recruited the classes before their first season. So these are essentially their teams with a couple of exceptions. they each had an opportunity to get rid of players that didn't buy into their philosophy.

whoever comes out on top should be crowned as the best coach. And no blaming the schedule or injuries this year. great teams overcome injuries. Didn't Minn play last year with a freshmen QB ? Didn't IU play without a starting offensive lineman who started the 2 previous years? All three teams played without key personnel.

each team starts the season 0-0 . NO excuses this year. if you provide excuses for this year, the likelihood is you will always find something to blame for a loss.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that Fleck walked into a 9 win program at Minnesota. What do you think would have happened had Brohm been in his shoes?

so the best coach of the three has a better record this season no matter what happens in the following seasons? Or does this ranking restart with each season?

Has 3 years of eligibility left. Started for Iowa as a redshirt freshman. This is a really big get.

With everything going on at Iowa he could probably get a waiver to be immediately eligible.

Injuries were reason he started early last year, including at Michigan. Then, special teams when starters returned. #4 returning CB for Iowa, behind Hankins, Moss and Brents. All three had started previous to Johnson in 2019. Iowa lost Michael Ojemudia to 3rd round to Broncos.

Tough first start at Iowa State.

Just when I think you know a lot.... you ask things like “is Graham gonna play LB?” and the other day said the reason our 3rd/4th string WALKON LONGSNAPPER left because Brohm needed to free up more scholarships to get under the limit. Dude....

I think the DL and secondary are going to be very good next season. Very optimistic! I’ll like the fact that guys I’m the secondary have experience. Diaco plays a lot of zone... probably won’t be lots of WR’s not being covered...

I am concerned a little with the LB unit. The LB unit probably isn’t going to be awful, but may not be great. Probably a year or two away. I think Brohm and staff did a decent job of addressing it in the offseason.

Brohm does a good job IMHO of addressing weaknesses in the roster in the offseason and has high standards and expectations.

I think the DL and secondary are going to be very good next season. Very optimistic! I’ll like the fact that guys I’m the secondary have experience. Diaco plays a lot of zone... probably won’t be lots of WR’s not being covered...

I am concerned a little with the LB unit. The LB unit probably isn’t going to be awful, but may not be great. Probably a year or two away. I think Brohm and staff did a decent job of addressing it in the offseason.

Brohm does a good job IMHO of addressing weaknesses in the roster in the offseason and has high standards and expectations.

No question LBs are the huge question mark on defense. The hope is Barnes is an absolute beast ala Bentley and Graham holds his own (may still be a bit light) and the other guys come to play.

Reactions: purduepat1969
How has the NCAA not made a decision on his eligibility yet? They are allowing guys back left and right who declared for the draft.

How has the NCAA not made a decision on his eligibility yet? They are allowing guys back left and right who declared for the draft.

Two different circumstances. NCAA isn't known for consistency. GA QB transfers to Big Ten, plays. SEC TE transfers to Big Ten, must sit. Examples from 2019.

Two different circumstances. NCAA isn't known for consistency. GA QB transfers to Big Ten, plays. SEC TE transfers to Big Ten, must sit. Examples from 2019.
Different circumstances or not how does it take months to review one and less than a few days the other. Is DJ up for SCOTUS confirmation?

• Haha
Reactions: cidsports
Brohm said today that he still has not been cleared yet. With everything said about the Iowa program in the offseason and the toxicity, I assumed that this would have been an easy clearance. I guess because it is us and not someplace like Ohio State.

Reactions: FirstDownB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT