ADVERTISEMENT

Diamonds in the Rough

agranados3

Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 22, 2013
Key Biscayne, FL
I'm hearing a bunch about a high number of our recruits being diamonds in the rough, and whether that works and what not. Just wanted to see how many were actually diamonds in the rough ("DITR") because I saw someone throw out the number 15, and my general opinion of this class is that I like it more than last year and last year had some players I really liked. So how many DITR do we have? I based this on a couple of assumptions:

1. a DITR is less than a 3*

2. I used Rivals and ESPN

3. Since ESPN inflates their 3* I considered anybody under a 75 rating a DITR. (ESPN rates 70-74 as 3*).

4. I excluded special teams players

Based on this, here are our DITR:

Fred Brown (ESPN - NR)

Tim Faison (ESPN - 73)

Shayne Henley (JUCO) (ESPN - 70)

Brycen Hopkins (ESPN - 73)

Michael Mendez (ESPN - NR)

Peyton Truitt (ESPN - 72)

Jess Trussell (ESPN - 70)

Chazmyn Turner (ESPN - 73)

Domonique Young (JUCO - NR)

Of the 9, it looks like only Hopkins and Turner had BCS offers.

So whether you say 7 or 9, it looks like a quarter to a third of the class are DITR. I would consider that a little on the high side, but not an astronomical amount as some have suggested.

Here are the three players that ESPN had as solid 3*, but Rivals had as 2* and part of their scouting report

Andy Chelf (3* 77)

Chelf combines both aggressive run defense with very good zone coverage skills to make big plays in the secondary; possesses the size, strength and playing speed/range for the defensive safety position at the Power Conference level of play. Over time his frame may be able to sustain additional bulk, provided playing speed improves

Tario Fuller (3* 77)

Fuller is of good size for a RB. He is of good height and possesses a solid frame which should only get bigger as he matures. Playing strength is very evident as he runs through many tackles and carries defenders for extra yards. Speed is good for a RB. He is not a blazer but runs away from a lot of defenders.

Fuller is a solid back. He should make a low to mid-level power conference school a solid choice as a RB. He runs hard and has demonstrated he can catch the ball out of the backfield.

David Rose (3* 75)

Long and lanky with the frame to add bulk and strength over time. Plays physical, but needs development. Runs well with very good closing speed but appears to be quicker than he is fast. Has upside with normal physical maturation and especially with a growth spurt that adds bulk. Displays good pursuit speed and overall range.

Rose is an athlete with a knack for making big plays and has intangibles as a football player that are coveted at the college level. Not totally polished on one particular position but has a lot of size and athleticism for a program to mold and develop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.