ADVERTISEMENT

Delusional Indiana fans are at it again..."Gabe cupps is what national college basketball media talking heads act like Braden smith is"

we shall see the kind of pressure Purdue puts on him and how they use him with Reneau...all a function of whether Ware is on the court at the time. I'm sure Purdue would like to bottle up Reneau and keep him from his left hand as much as possible, but Purdue can't double if Ware is on the court. Purdue fine tunes their O and goes to Zach early if it is there and establish him it will take a great game by IU to overcome it. Purdue should win, Purdue is a much better team throughout the year
As a former great once said, "We'll let "Reneau" get his and shut the rest of them down. " Look for that to happen when Woody brings the wagon to West Laffy.

Reactions: tjreese
As a former great once said, "We'll let "Reneau" get his and shut the rest of them down. " Look for that to happen when Woody brings the wagon to West Laffy.
It very easily could be that, but doubling down on him with the 1-3 spots was the plan and for good reason last game. Purdue doubling with a 4 would still be a concern due to Ware. Neal on Reneau's side poses a risk of a three ball, unless Reneau goes out far enough to get the ball that doubling him is close enough to recover back to a shooter IMO. We may see doubling not a given, but I think Matt wants to get the ball out of his hands "if" not a problem. I expect Reneau and Galloway to bring their A game...the rest are more guesses. We may see Matt play Reneau straight up with Trey and see how it goes as well. Overall, Matt wants to protect the lane and concede if it happens the perimeter.

I suspect Purdue doesn't jump out as it did the first game or end the half with such a comfortable margin. This is a huge game for IU as well and a chance to redeem the team that so many are calling an embarrassment. Purdue is the better team and probably wins 95% of the time, but we all have seen rivalry games where someone breaks out and has a career game.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
What I see on this board is how people react based on their life experiences. If you lived and worked with IU fans most of you life, you learned to hate being around them during basketball season. If you moved out of state or to a more neutral part of Indiana, you can't imagine what it can be like.
For sure! Lived and worked most of my life in Indiana, but had stretches in Iowa and Illinois and now we come to Florida during hoops season. No comparison on how much these games mean depending on where you are. Tomorrow night unless one of my IU buddies calls, you wouldn't even know we were playing each other. No one cares about it down here (except a few snow birds)!!

For sure! Lived and worked most of my life in Indiana, but had stretches in Iowa and Illinois and now we come to Florida during hoops season. No comparison on how much these games mean depending on where you are. Tomorrow night unless one of my IU buddies calls, you wouldn't even know we were playing each other. No one cares about it down here (except a few snow birds)!!
Very true. Spent the month of July in Cocoa Beach, Florida for many years and it was mostly football interest and how bright I must have been to have been a Purdue grad and so Purdue for academics did carry. Did consider for a brief stint coaching in Vero Beach. Supt lived in the Condo complex I was in and had passively interviewed me for a couple of years around the pool before asking if I would be interested. Yes, basketball is pretty large in Indiana and sends population wise a higher percent or one of the highest percentages of the population to D1 schools. I know Norm Sloan many years ago was biased towards Indiana guards in general due to their understanding and shooting.

Last edited:
Very true. Spent the month of July in Cocoa Beach, Florida for many years and it was mostly football interest and how bright I must have been to have been a Purdue grad and so Purdue for academics did carry. Did consider for a brief stint coaching in Vera Beach. Supt lived in the Condo complex I was in and had passively interviewed me for a couple of years around the pool before asking if I would be interested. Yes, basketball is pretty large in Indiana and sends population wise a higher percent or one of the highest percentages of the population to D1 schools. I know Norm Sloan many years ago was biased towards Indiana guards in general due to their understanding and shooting.

The most "famous couple" of Cocoa Beach....

fdba7971c614df81c904c61dd9d62797.jpg

It very easily could be that, but doubling down on him with the 1-3 spots was the plan and for good reason last game. Purdue doubling with a 4 would still be a concern due to Ware. Neal on Reneau's side poses a risk of a three ball, unless Reneau goes out far enough to get the ball that doubling him is close enough to recover back to a shooter IMO. We may see doubling not a given, but I think Matt wants to get the ball out of his hands "if" not a problem. I expect Reneau and Galloway to bring their A game...the rest are more guesses. We may see Matt play Reneau straight up with Trey and see how it goes as well. Overall, Matt wants to protect the lane and concede if it happens the perimeter.

I suspect Purdue doesn't jump out as it did the first game or end the half with such a comfortable margin. This is a huge game for IU as well and a chance to redeem the team that so many are calling an embarrassment. Purdue is the better team and probably wins 95% of the time, but we all have seen rivalry games where someone breaks out and has a career game.
I sort of agree but think we take care of business. I think we will be double digit lead by the half way part of the first half. They just don’t have the horses to run with us especially because they can’t shoot. I am sure Leal, Galloway and Mgbako will knock down a few but their inconsistency is what will kill them in the end.

I think it would be awesome to see Zach, Braden, Loyer and Jones all go for 20. Maybe we even get to see Myles tomorrow.

Perhaps we set a new decibel record when Cam gets a breakaway 369 dunk

Reactions: tjreese
I sort of agree but think we take care of business. I think we will be double digit lead by the half way part of the first half. They just don’t have the horses to run with us especially because they can’t shoot. I am sure Leal, Galloway and Mgbako will knock down a few but their inconsistency is what will kill them in the end.

I think it would be awesome to see Zach, Braden, Loyer and Jones all go for 20. Maybe we even get to see Myles tomorrow.

There's a good and bad about seeing Colvin tomorrow...we're either days ahead, or weeks behind if he's in the game.

Fully understand where you are coming. I just can't count on typical showings in rivalry games ALL the time. No question Purdue should win and I think they will, but Purdue got a break when IU got in foul trouble. With all the disparaging comments towards the IU team by "IU fans" effort should not be a problem in this game and any wrestling match diminishes the difference in skill between the team. I hope you are right.

As an aside I saw Kim last night lay out some ear plugs and I said what are you doing. She said you know they are going to have the volume cranked up even more for this game. I said huh? She said right...you don't need them. ;)

Secret for the youth...selective hearing can be a good thing! ;)

The most "famous couple" of Cocoa Beach....

fdba7971c614df81c904c61dd9d62797.jpg
my place was right on the left bend...miss it! Blue door with 4 clumped palm trees right where it turns straight coming back this way first floor 103. directly across #112 was John Manoila who had a few family members that were in Godfather and straight ahead top floor were two units owned by Jimmy Balsimo who had to move some bookie money. Lot of Italians there... ;)
20191109-SC-mid-res-35.jpg

WELL THERE’S CERTAINLY NO DEBATE NOW.

It was shutdown within the first 5 minutes of this game. Smith abused Cupps on offense and defense…they are not the same and will never be the same. Smith got Cupps benched. Gallo had to play point for a majority of the night.

Anyways no need to debate this anymore.

I’ve been on forever as well, there was another now defunct Purdue site I used to be on, anyone remember the name by chance? Probably late 90’s or so, definitely during dial up.
i was there too. But danged if I can remember that site.
I thought/think that iu is pretty close. A good pg away from being tough to handle. That front line has some guys and Leal and CJ? looked decent shooting the ball.
An elite pg and they'll be right back.

Last edited:
I thought/think that iu is pretty close. A good pg away from being tough to handle. That front line has some guys and Leal and CJ? looked decent shooting the ball.
Leal is a decent wide open shooter but is limited in his abilities…does he have a covid year? CJ finally shot it really well, but I’m guessing he may transfer, along with Banks. Ware and Mgbako are more than likely gone (although if they’re both back then it makes IU better), rumors of Reneau maybe going back home to finish his career, gallo has a covid year, so he may be back—he’s best as a sixth man. Cupps…oof he has a LOT to do to be able to compete at this level. I’m sure he will work hard over the summer, but got to imagine woody is going to recruit over him.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I’ve been on forever as well, there was another now defunct Purdue site I used to be on, anyone remember the name by chance? Probably late 90’s or so, definitely during dial up.
Well a very, very few participated in the Indy Star forum. You are possibly thinking of Mr. Hoops. Bob Richards and another person set up the site. Rivals came to buy it around the time Peegs sold the IU site and Bob and others did NOT want a pay site and did not sell out to Rivals. That site still exists, but very little participation. I have thought about posting on it some just to get some activity over there since I know they wanted to keep it free and that ended with many still going to Rivals..

Well a very, very few participated in the Indy Star forum. You are possibly thinking of Mr. Hoops. Bob Richards and another person set up the site. Rivals came to buy it around the time Peegs sold the IU site and Bob and others did NOT want a pay site and did not sell out to Rivals. That site still exists, but very little participation. I have thought about posting on it some just to get some activity over there since I know they wanted to keep it free and that ended with many still going to Rivals..

Definitely remember OldGoldFreePress. Been a while since I've been there, though.

Reactions: DrEss and tjreese

Definitely remember OldGoldFreePress. Been a while since I've been there, though.

Not the one being referenced, but there was the old ESPN message board too, which is now defunct.......there were some classic/notorious posters there, including Unbiasedone and JohnnyPurdue....lolololololol.

I had to look closely at the screen the final 90 seconds when our walk-one were out there and they even abused Cupps. Feel bad because he got thrown to the wolves with X being hurt and all the pressure is clearly getting to him.

The one pass he threw right to Smith was hilarious. Someone mentioned that Cupps tried to chirp him early in the game and from that moment, Smith just owned him. I didn’t see that segment but would love to see it.

I had to look closely at the screen the final 90 seconds when our walk-one were out there and they even abused Cupps. Feel bad because he got thrown to the wolves with X being hurt and all the pressure is clearly getting to him.

The one pass he threw right to Smith was hilarious. Someone mentioned that Cupps tried to chirp him early in the game and from that moment, Smith just owned him. I didn’t see that segment but would love to see it.

Not a good exchange there for Cupps.....

8fghgf.gif

Last edited:

I think it was the lob to ware in the first one or two possessions. And then Braden showed him why he’s better for the rest of the game. Hell, even Chase Martin locked Cupps up.

I think it was the lob to ware in the first one or two possessions. And then Braden showed him why he’s better for the rest of the game. Hell, even Chase Martin locked Cupps up.

Yes, DP.....in the highlights below, starts @ approximately 0:45 mark.

A few Braden Smith response plays, starting at approximately:

1:15, 1:38, 1:48, 1:58 and 2:14....

My former self, Big D, was a frequent poster on the Mr. Hoops / Steve’s Gridiron Forums many moons ago. Cool to see some of the old and original names still posting, such as db.
Steve posts on ON3 sometimes. Not sure that db posts here either. Actually kinda rare to see him post unless he is ON3 with a new moniker at this time.

Reactions: DrEss
That front line got abused. Foul trouble if you continually go at them and Mbako can't guard anyone and is terrible on weakside. Purdue outrebounded IU by 15, 10 of those offensive.

At least two or three of that front line leave this year. They need more than an elite PG to turn it around.

At least two or three of that front line leave this year. They need more than an elite PG to turn it around.
They supposedly have an elite shooter coming next year, but he's not a PG. If their front line guys leave and they don't replace them through the portal, it will be another long season for them.

Leal is a decent wide open shooter but is limited in his abilities…does he have a covid year? CJ finally shot it really well, but I’m guessing he may transfer, along with Banks. Ware and Mgbako are more than likely gone (although if they’re both back then it makes IU better), rumors of Reneau maybe going back home to finish his career, gallo has a covid year, so he may be back—he’s best as a sixth man. Cupps…oof he has a LOT to do to be able to compete at this level. I’m sure he will work hard over the summer, but got to imagine woody is going to recruit over him.
Oh crap who will they have left? Walker and X age out. Gallo, Leal, Cupps, Sparks, McNeeley, Newton, and a bunch of transfers…

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
They supposedly have an elite shooter coming next year, but he's not a PG. If their front line guys leave and they don't replace them through the portal, it will be another long season for them.
I’ll post it if I can find it but some IU rocket surgeon explained they have massive resources and huge NIL so they should be able to get anyone. Someone asked why they only have 1 kid committed and they replied that Woodson went all in on Boogie Fland and didn’t have a backup. Not sure how you don’t have multiple guys at different positions you are recruiting so if one fails but I’m not paid millions like Woodson.

They also said last year was a fluke because Woody was implying or telling guards it would be the X/Galloway show as starters which hurt them. Guess tying your teams future to two sporadic guards wasn’t the best idea.

Whatever the case, they will have to make some hard pushes on guys in the portal to shore up their team for next year. Granted, unless they are getting guys with 2 years of eligibility, they will be looking at the same issue come 25-26 season.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I’ll post it if I can find it but some IU rocket surgeon explained they have massive resources and huge NIL so they should be able to get anyone. Someone asked why they only have 1 kid committed and they replied that Woodson went all in on Boogie Fland and didn’t have a backup. Not sure how you don’t have multiple guys at different positions you are recruiting so if one fails but I’m not paid millions like Woodson.

They also said last year was a fluke because Woody was implying or telling guards it would be the X/Galloway show as starters which hurt them. Guess tying your teams future to two sporadic guards wasn’t the best idea.

Whatever the case, they will have to make some hard pushes on guys in the portal to shore up their team for next year. Granted, unless they are getting guys with 2 years of eligibility, they will be looking at the same issue come 25-26 season.
I'd bet 10,000 that Woodson was telling ANY KID THAT WOULD LISTEN that there were minutes to be taken from Day 1 in the back court

I'd bet 10,000 that Woodson was telling ANY KID THAT WOULD LISTEN that there were minutes to be taken from Day 1 in the back court
Rumor was that he was telling other guards it’d be gallo and x starting. He had cupps and Newton as backups already…and for some reason thought it’d be a fool proof plan. Not sure how hard they even went after other guards tbh.

Not the one being referenced, but there was the old ESPN message board too, which is now defunct.......there were some classic/notorious posters there, including Unbiasedone and JohnnyPurdue....lolololololol.
Don’t forget Irishfan and Gordo. The trolls (assuming there was more than one person behind the screen names) used a lot of repetitive juvenile disparagements like calling Purdue Turdue (which was kind of funny the first, not 100th time) and constantly railing on “Coach Porkchop” saying how outmatched he was always going to be against the great Mike Davis or Sampson or whoever they had at the time who they thought was going to outlast Painter. They would fill up any legitimate thread with that garbage, and it seemed that was their sole, sad purpose in life. It’s no wonder the people behind those usernames no longer post or claim ownership of them.

To quote the troll who posted under the handle JohnnyBoiler or JB for short,
“LOLOLOLOLOLOL”

Don’t forget Irishfan and Gordo. The trolls (assuming there was more than one person behind the screen names) used a lot of repetitive juvenile disparagements like calling Purdue Turdue (which was kind of funny the first, not 100th time) and constantly railing on “Coach Porkchop” saying how outmatched he was always going to be against the great Mike Davis or Sampson or whoever they had at the time who they thought was going to outlast Painter. They would fill up any legitimate thread with that garbage, and it seemed that was their sole, sad purpose in life. It’s no wonder the people behind those usernames no longer post or claim ownership of them.

To quote the troll who posted under the handle JohnnyBoiler or JB for short,
“LOLOLOLOLOLOL”
Fun fact: after the ESPN boards closed, some IU and Purdue fans made an Indiana basketball message board that was civil and had a forum for both schools.

i was on there, and it was cool and then unbiasedone made it over there. After he started trolling again, one of the board members traced his IP and learned his actual name. We searched the name and his pic was online. Some mid forties dude at the time, I forget his profession but was an IU grad and was definitely him. Posters from both sides kept posting desecrated pics of him with like pirate hats and stuff. He was shamed into leaving. I was young twenties at the time, and found it all hysterical. Back then not many people had pics online. That might not fly today though lol

edit: fun fact, just found his LinkedIn. Same pic from nearly 20 years ago. The ageless wonder 😂😂😂

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT