ADVERTISEMENT

Defense this Season

depthcharge623

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2013
I'll admit up front, I'm somewhat of a Purdue football fair weather fan haha. So take it easy on my lack of knowledge.

It seems like a lot of experts are expecting us to decline this year, mainly because of all the losses on defense.

My question is: what % of the defense's excellent performance last year was due to skill/experience of players, and what % was due to Holt's coaching and motivation (as well as Brohm's)?

If it was a pretty high percent due to Holt, then I could see us starting off this season with somewhat poor defense, but improving a lot throughout. I think we peak at the end of the season like last year.

My other thought is that we can hopefully have enough firepower with Sindelar starting and Blough in bursts when we are sluggish that our offense can outpace defensive lapses. They obviously won't all the time, but I think they are capable of it.

Reactions: 72Boiler
That's the $64,000 question. Did the defense improve because of Holt and the scheme? Or is it more based on those specific players finally stepping up, along with a couple key transfers? I keep hearing that we now have more depth on defense, which makes me cringe because that sounds like something you say when the 1st team isn't that solid.

What you said at the end will probably be the key. The experience at every position except WR plus the Brohm-fense should result in some good to excellent point/yardage/TOP numbers to let the defense improve during the season. The trouble is that there isn't a lot of learn-on-the-job time for the defense with the tough opening schedule.

I'll admit up front, I'm somewhat of a Purdue football fair weather fan haha. So take it easy on my lack of knowledge.

It seems like a lot of experts are expecting us to decline this year, mainly because of all the losses on defense.

My question is: what % of the defense's excellent performance last year was due to skill/experience of players, and what % was due to Holt's coaching and motivation (as well as Brohm's)?

If it was a pretty high percent due to Holt, then I could see us starting off this season with somewhat poor defense, but improving a lot throughout. I think we peak at the end of the season like last year.

My other thought is that we can hopefully have enough firepower with Sindelar starting and Blough in bursts when we are sluggish that our offense can outpace defensive lapses. They obviously won't all the time, but I think they are capable of it.

Im more of a basketball fan myself, but I think last years success was a combination of great coaching by Holt and some really talented guys like Bentley and Robinson responding. Holt will coach the D up, but it will be tough to expect same results due to talent and experience that graduated.

I do agree and think they will improve on D as the year goes on and that will be fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT