ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Deep Dive: Spring practice No. 2

Tom_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Staff
Jan 16, 2002

Deeper look at the goings-on from Day Two of spring ball ...

1. The No. 1 offensive line had two different looks on the second day of spring ball. The tackles stayed the same, with Grant Hermanns on the left and Will Bramel on the right. And Sam Garvin was the No. 1 center all along. But the guards swapped out. One time, Mark Stickford was at LG and Kyle Jornigan was at RG. The next incarnation had Cam Craig at LG and DJ Washington at RG.

The No. 2 o-line had LT Eric Miller; C Spencer Holstege; RT Dave Monnot with some combination of the above guards.

Because I know you guys eat up stuff like this--like I do--here is was one incarnation of the No. 3 OL from the second practice: LT Dave Monnot; LG Marc Roland; C Gus Hartwig; RG Josh Kaltenbeger; RT Gus German.

2. The No. 1 defense has looked like this:
DE Branson Deen; NT Anthony Watts; DE George Karlaftis
OLB Jalen Graham; ILB Jaylan Alexander; ILB Derrick Barnes; OLB DaMarcus Mitchell
CB Dedrick Mackey; S Brennan Thieneman; S Cam Allen; CB Cory Trice

The No. 2 defense has looked like this:
DE Steven Faucheux; NT Lawrence Johnson; DE Willie Lane
OLB Robert McWilliams; ILB Semisi Fakasiieiki; ILB Kieren Douglas; OLB Khali Saunders
CB Jordan Rucker; S Marvin Grant; S Simeon Smiley; CB Kenneth Major

3. Just because, I give you this: Darrell Hazell-recruited players remaining on the roster from the Class of 2016:
LB Semisi Fakasiieiki
OT Grant Hermanns
K J.D. Dellinger
WR Jackson Anthrop
S/CB Simeon Smiley
WR Jared Sparks
DT Lorenzo Neal
DT Anthony Watts
S Brennan Thieneman (walk-on)

All figure to play key roles in 2020, but Anthrop and Sparks will be pushed by young talent at WR.

4. One early enrollee who has impressed me the first two practices: WR Abdur-Rahmaan Yaseen. The 6-2, 180-pound product of Walled Lake, Mich., is a smooth operator who looks like a natural. It seemingly comes easy. I spoke to his prep coach this offseason, and he was effusive in his praise of Yaseen's work ethic--even moreso than most high school coaches. That dedication/hard work apparently is paying off for Yaseen, who Purdue flipped late from Northwestern. Watch No. 2.

5. Another true freshman to watch who is on campus is CB Anthony Romphf. The 6-0, 180-pound Southfield, Mich., native was a wizard prep quarterback whose athletic skills should transfer well to the secondary.

6. It is fun to watch walk-on QB Jack Albers play. Listed as a redshirt freshman, Albers played at Saint Xavier High in Louisville before going to Dayton and then transferring to Purdue. Albers is listed at 6-0, 180, but looks smaller. He almost sidearm/slings the ball, showing some zip and accuracy. Scrappy, valuable squad member.

7. FWIW: When the offense hit the field for the first time on Wednesday, Aidan O'Connell was with the No. 1 unit.

8. No. 21 catches your eye in practice. His name: Sanoussi Kane, a 6-0, 200-pound true freshman safety from Blair Academy in New Jersey.

9. Maybe it's just me, but tenacious RB King Doerue looks like he has a bit more giddy-up. And that's a good thing. It will be fun to watch the RB spot sort out with mega-touted Tirek Murphy coming to battle Doerue, Zander Horvath and Da'Joun Hewitt. Big sense of urgency for a few of these guys.

10. I will say this: It's easy to get excited about redshirt freshman TE Garrett Miller. The big Texan with the flowing hair runs effortlessly through the secondary. And he has nice hands. I'm excited for the guy. The entire TE situation teems with promise, with fellow redshirt freshman Kyle Bilodeau and massive sophomore Payne Durham (6-5, 255) filling out the ranks. Durham almost looks like an OT.

Thanks for reading.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News