ADVERTISEMENT

DE prospects

Jul 15, 2017
We need to get back to producing NFL DE’s. We consistently had at least 3 starting DE’s in the NFL from Purdue.

Agree. And 3 starting seems low in the mid 00s heydays. Seems like Purdue had a DE getting drafted in top 2 rounds almost every year. We have 2 starters now in the NFL and haven't sent one in years.

We need to get back to sending O-Lineman to the NFL at a regular pace as well.

As far as I remember linemen, on both sides of the ball, were our best NFL players with only a handful of exceptions.

Agree. And 3 starting seems low in the mid 00s heydays. Seems like Purdue had a DE getting drafted in top 2 rounds almost every year. We have 2 starters now in the NFL and haven't sent one in years.

We need to get back to sending O-Lineman to the NFL at a regular pace as well.

As far as I remember linemen, on both sides of the ball, were our best NFL players with only a handful of exceptions.

Purdue has also had some great Qbs, RBs, and Dbs. Probably the biggest surprise would be the amount of Purdue RBs that have played in the Pros. There was more than one Armstrong that is a famous Purdue alumni. Otis was famous in his own right.

Reactions: sro73
For a while there LB's as well:

2011 Ryan Kerrigan
2008 Stanford Keglar
2004 Gilbert Gardner
2004 Landon Johnson
2004 Niko Koutouvides
2003 Joe Odom
2002 Akin Ayodele

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Wasn't Alstott the #2 Option and the FB at Purdue? wasn't there another RB who was our featured RB at that time?

Edwin Watson would have been a couple classes behind Alstott but around the same time. Drafted by the Packers in '98.

Edwin Watson would have been a couple classes behind Alstott but around the same time. Drafted by the Packers in '98.
This would have been in the same backfield with Alstott . The other RB was a 700-1000 yard rusher as well. Alstott was the power back and the other RB was the faster traditional HB.

We need to get back to producing NFL DE’s. We consistently had at least 3 starting DE’s in the NFL from Purdue.
I think Brohm will get us there. We have Karlifitis would should be by the time he leaves Purdue. If we were to flip Herron, I think he would be too. Of course, I know Herron is a big if as far as a flip, but if he could flip Moore; I am hoping it happens again. We are starting to get that sort of talent again, as we are showing with three 4 Stars by June 1st already. Purdue football and football recruiting is getting fun again.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonestarBoilerFan
The 1975 PU team had (3) RB's that eventually played in NFL.
Scott Dierking-Jets 77-83
Mike Pruitt-Browns 76-84
John Skibinski - Bears 78-81

Also a walkon RB, Mike Augustiniak from 1976 played later for Jets and he and Dierking were the starting backfield for the Jets most of the 81' season

IU just got Beau Robbins from Carmel to commit. Didn't think we were in on him at all but that would have been a nice addition.

IU just got Beau Robbins from Carmel to commit. Didn't think we were in on him at all but that would have been a nice addition.

Nice pickup for them but we’ve got Karlaftis and have a good shot at JJ Weaver who is better than Robbins IMO.

I think Brohm will get us there. We have Karlifitis would should be by the time he leaves Purdue. If we were to flip Herron, I think he would be too. Of course, I know Herron is a big if as far as a flip, but if he could flip Moore; I am hoping it happens again. We are starting to get that sort of talent again, as we are showing with three 4 Stars by June 1st already. Purdue football and football recruiting is getting fun again.

JJ Weaver is going to be a monster as an end. Got a shot at Cameron Williams as well. That would be four defensive star in one class if we land them. All four should be all Big Ten and high draft choices.

For a while there LB's as well:

2011 Ryan Kerrigan
2008 Stanford Keglar
2004 Gilbert Gardner
2004 Landon Johnson
2004 Niko Koutouvides
2003 Joe Odom
2002 Akin Ayodele

Rosie Colvin
Akin Ayodele
Rob Nikovich
Shaun Phillips
Ray Edwards
Anthony Spencer
Cliff Avril
Ryan Kerrigan

I’m sure I’m missing a few others. JJ Weaver will be on that list as well.

Reactions: BoilerFan89
yes. RB Corey Rogers. 1991, 1993, 1994 and 1995. Although Allstott's stats were better. Rogers put together a nice 4 year career.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
This would have been in the same backfield with Alstott . The other RB was a 700-1000 yard rusher as well. Alstott was the power back and the other RB was the faster traditional HB.
Corey Rodgers

Edit: didn't see the post above. I believe Rodgers was B!G freshmen of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT