ADVERTISEMENT

D. Anderson to IU

Anderson said it all last week in an interview that few posters on this board read or paid much attention to. He said he liked IU, and their coach REALLY liked him. Archie showed him more love than PAinter. Maybe part of Painter's recruiting problem is that his style of play tends to be the same every year, and he goes after players who fit his style and system, rather than changing his style to match the talents of his players. The message he is sending is if you want to be a star small forward, don't come to Purdue, because we're a big man school, and we allow our guards to shoot threes. The small forward position is a support role position.

1. While yes CMP sale pitch did not work here....it could be factors like the kid had an uncle or whatever that went to iu and family swayed him.

2. CMP has let his forwards score @ will....and in the position-less flexibility system he is planning to run it won't matter between 3s & 4s on some guys he has in there.

3. While it hurts to lose DA .... not getting interest from Jerome Hunter hurt worse because he is a far better player.

4. Maybe Painter loads up on bigs and guards in 18, or holds an 18 schollie over, and then uses the glut of bigs now at MICH, MSU and iu against them in recruiting to land a better forward in 2019 than DA ever thought about being?

5. I think our class ends up fine....He will get some nice players....still 3-5th in the B1G with or without DA.

6. As far as recruiting CMP does need to do way better, but what he needs is a top 30 guy.......like CS or EM as those have been the times CMP has won the B1G. As a top 30 was not in the cards this year, I worry more about missing JJJ last year than missing a guy like DA who is a nice player...but not a guy that gets you a shot at a B1G championship like EM and CS did as top 30s who came here.

Last edited:
Reactions: nagemj02
Or.....Maybe you should do a 360 and spend some time reading some of my basketball posts on other boards from 2-5 years ago. Although usually against the beliefs of the majority of other posters, my strange posts had an uncanny Percentage of being accurate.

I can think of no better summertime activity than archival searches for posts from a certified basketball genius. You must be sick of being correct all the time!?!

Vince Edwards hasn't been hampered by our system. And I don't know what team Wolegib has been watching but Vince has spent most of his time on the court the past 2 years with 2 of the following 3 big men - Hammons, Swanigan, Haas. So he has probably seen the vast majority of his minutes over the past couple seasons at the 3 (his NBA position) and not the 4 (probably the better college position for him in most matchups) .

Just because Wolegib says that Vince has been forced to play the 4 all the time doesn't make it so.

Last edited:
Correct, I don't care about Bowen. Never did. Never will. Never lost sleep over it and never will.

yOU ON THE OTHER HANd - ShouLD taKE the summER ofF frOM posTING

And why is that? Bowen was a top 50 talent. And he was right in our backyard. And he played for a school Painter has tried to recruit players from for the last 10 years with mixed results. And he played a position Purdue had a glaring need at.

And yet, you don't care.

To me, Bowen is part of a trend. Anderson and Hunter are part of that same trend. In order to recruit and sign an elite small forward, you need to identify why they are signing elsewhere.

I don't know any of these players. I don't know their coaches. Or their reasons for committing elsewhere. But I believe it's important to figure out why we failed. And if we don't, it will repeat itself with the next recruiting class.

I like to analyze mistakes and identify solutions. You don't . To me, recruiting is a process. I don't look at the names. I see a process that needs improvement. How can Painter make Purdue a more attractive destination for basketball recruits? How can he improve on his success, and ensure continued future success? The group Chicago is touring this Summer to sell out crowds. Through the years, they spent the time and analyzed what their fans like and made adjustments. Disney also spends a lot of time reviewing their mistakes and correcting them.

I see a pattern and want to fix it. Bowen is a small piece. I get you don't care about Bowen. I don't care much about him either. I could provide other names besides Bowen. Harris and Robinson come to mind as two more elite SFs that signed elsewhere. But in the past 2 months, I saw 3 more elite small forwards all choosing to go elsewhere, when we had an opening with potential immediate playing time. I see that as a problem that needs fixing. And as such, I believe it is worth discussing.

And yet, you don't care.
I get you don't care about Bowen. I don't care much about him either.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who says we aren't analyzing? Who says we aren't adjusting? Who says we don't have other options available?

Sorry you have lost faith and just think our staff is the equivalent of monkeys throwing darts at a dart board.

6. As far as recruiting CMP does need to do way better, but what he needs is a top 30 guy.......like CS or EM as those have been the times CMP has won the B1G. As a top 30 was not in the cards this year, I worry more about missing JJJ last year than missing a guy like DA who is a nice player...but not a guy that gets you a shot at a B1G championship like EM and CS did as top 30s who came here.
Well put. With the roster turnover, 2018 appeared to be a golden opportunity to reel in a big fish or two. Even with a completely honest sales pitch, you can look these 2018 guys straight in the eye and tell them there is opportunity to step right in.. Not going to sweat missing out on a borderline top 100 guy because the odds of finding or developing an equivalent player are high. But a stud or two is needed to compete with the elite.

Vince Edwards hasn't been hampered by our system. And I don't know what team Wolegib has been watching but Vince has spent most of his time on the court the past 2 years with 2 of the following 3 big men - Hammons, Swanigan, Haas. So he has probably seen the vast majority of his minutes over the past couple seasons at the 3 (his NBA position) and not the 4 (probably the better college position for him in most matchups) .

Just because Wolegib says that Vince has been forced to play the 4 all the time doesn't make it so.

So why do you and others here want to pencil him in at the 4 for this year? In arguing with me, you as a collective group - not you specifically - seem to contradict yourself. Look at your posts as a collective group and how many of you say V Edwards will be our starting PF! For some of you, you have no doubt.

And I've expanded on that as a possible reason why Anderson, Hunter, and Bowen decided to play elsewhere. They look at how Vince has been utilized at Purdue. All I'm doing is speculating on reasons recruits are not coming to Purdue.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who says we aren't analyzing? Who says we aren't adjusting? Who says we don't have other options available?

Sorry you have lost faith and just think our staff is the equivalent of monkeys throwing darts at a dart board.

Rather than throwing darts at a dart board, what I see is best embodied by the Word "settling". We are happy with the level of results we have achieved. It's like getting an 86 on a chem 115 exam. That's a great score. And 90% of the other students in that class would love to have that score including the ones who dropped the course and the other majors who don't have to take that course. An 86 is a tremendous score on a Purdue chemistry exam. But the reality is that 2-5 students scored a 95 and better.

Apply that to basketball recruiting. Most everybody would be happy with Purdue signing a 4* recruit with a Recruiting score of 86. And most schools would love to have a player of that caliber once in a decade. And Purdue gets a lot of players with that ranking. And the Purdue rating each year is usually top 25 and a B+. graduating with a 3.4 gpa is a great accomplishment. But there is always somebody with a 3.8 gpa. And rather than always getting an 86-88, I'd like to see Purdue recruiting ace that exam and score a 93. I have enough confidence in Painter that he can do it. I had zero confidence in Hazell. I complain more because I expect more.

It's also kind of like the USA team finishing third. There was a lot of talk and build up. And the ongoing saga between wabash and myself about the to ratio. But after they lost to Canada, nobody wanted to talk about them or analyze why they lost. You lost interest.

So why do you and others here want to pencil him in at the 4 for this year? In arguing with me, you as a collective group - not you specifically - seem to contradict yourself. Look at your posts as a collective group and how many of you say V Edwards will be our starting PF! For some of you, you have no doubt.

And I've expanded on that as a possible reason why Anderson, Hunter, and Bowen decided to play elsewhere. They look at how Vince has been utilized at Purdue. All I'm doing is speculating on reasons recruits are not coming to Purdue.

Good luck speculating on why teenagers you've never met make the choices they do.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Rather than throwing darts at a dart board, what I see is best embodied by the Word "settling".
Again that is what you and a minority see. No one is "settling" for anything and I can just about guarantee CMP isn't "settling" either.

Some of you unrealistically expect that we should be able to force a recruit to come to Purdue. But what you forget is said recruit has a mind of his own and will choose to go to another school for God knows what reason.

Thinking CMP is 'failing' at some mythical benchmark that you put forth is what is getting you so much grief on here. You, me or anyone else on this forum have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and thinking CMP isn't trying his best is being naive in the most asinine way. However, it comes down to the recruit and where he wants to go and CMP can't force them to choose Purdue nor will any coach that would replace him.

We have seen this same garbage posted over the last few years and we have ended up being very good. We have some great players on this team and all you want to do is complain about a couple of recruits we didn't get while there are entirely too many players that will fit in well at Purdue left for you to give up so easily.

VE has greatly exceeded expectations at Purdue, based on his ranking. I have to believe that he is an asset for Painter, rather than a deterrent.

I 'll leave you with one final thought. (for today)

Ever play a video game where you constantly had a great score, but never won or got to the next level? as the levels always got harder and harder ? Did you quit playing the game and say, that's the best I can do and I'm a lot better than anybody else that played this game. are you at level 199 of the bubble witch game? and quit playing?

or do you look at the reasons why your score was always what it was, and corrected the flaw in your game, and advanced to the next level and win the game?

that's how I see Purdue basketball and life. I readily admit Purdue basketball is at an elite level. But we seem to be stuck at that level. We've been at level 199 of that 200 level game for a long time. very few others have ever come close to that level. We should be proud. but instead of being proud, I want to find the way to beat that game and reach that 200th level. When I play pinball winning a free game just is not enough. I want my initials on that game score on that machine for all to see.

... or do you look at the reasons why your score was always what it was, and corrected the flaw in your game, and advanced to the next level and win the game?

that's how I see Purdue basketball and life. I readily admit Purdue basketball is at an elite level. But we seem to be stuck at that level. We've been at level 199 of that 200 level game for a long time. very few others have ever come close to that level. We should be proud. but instead of being proud, I want to find the way to beat that game and reach that 200th level. When I play pinball winning a free game just is not enough. I want my initials on that game score on that machine for all to see.
The problem with this metaphor is that once you determine what you need to do to go up a level in the game, you can confidently KNOW that once you do that, you will win.

With PU Basketball, there are no such guarantees. A new coach - highly risky, creating Math 159 for athletes (which was done two years ago) - hasn't had much impact, build a new dorm - who knows, change the style of play to focus on SFs more - what will the bigs think? Lie to recuits and promise them anything - will they transfer when faced with the truth?

Reactions: BBG
The problem with this metaphor is that once you determine what you need to do to go up a level in the game, you can confidently KNOW that once you do that, you will win.

With PU Basketball, there are no such guarantees. A new coach - highly risky, creating Math 159 for athletes (which was done two years ago) - hasn't had much impact, build a new dorm - who knows, change the style of play to focus on SFs more - what will the bigs think? Lie to recuits and promise them anything - will they transfer when faced with the truth?

Hey, as Keady would say. You left out the part about playing zone!

Some advice you need to take for yourself. But have someone who is a bit more realistic do it for you.

As said above CMP is apparently known for being more honest than a salesman. I'll take honesty every day of the week and twice on sunday over being a salesmen. Because in the end, winning isn't and never will be more important than integrity.

As a life long salesman.....you can still be a "salesman" and have integrity.

Reactions: PUBV and nagemj02

You seem to focused on the SF position. I am t sure that specific position (1) has little meaning in the motion offense, and (2) not much impact in NCAA games, as a position. You know the players don't stand around in specific locations on the court based on their designation (SF, PF, Center), right? Besides, when was the last time a SF pulled his team into the FF? I think it has been historically guards that have done that.

Let me attempt to summarize here. Your basic position is that because of the way VE was coached, 3 Indiana high school forwards choose IU over Purdue. This is a head scratcher. VE made 3rd team All-BIG last year and will probably make first team this year. He will probably also be drafted into the NBA, and shatter a number of records at Purdue. The motion offence allows smart players like Vince to be creative in both passing and scoring. I really am having trouble seeing how this negatively affects new recruits. Fill in the blanks here, would ya?

Ok, pencil Vince in at the four. Now you have Mathias at the three. Mathias has thrived. It is a team sport. If anything, this team proved that every position can get theirs. All of the players averaging 10+ ppg and earning individual accolades. Top 75-120 kids that think they are top 25 haven't worked out all that well for Purdue. Purdue has been very successful with 120-250 kids that are willing to go all in for Purdue. Talen and Henry could fill in the void of Anderson. The problem is Talen is stacking up great offers and Purdue may be a little late on offering Henry. If Purdue just lands two guards and Dowuana, they will be fine. They have enough size moving forward that they don't need to reach way down and settle if they aren't the right fit.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
As a life long salesman.....you can still be a "salesman" and have integrity.
Hah, a lot you know. "Apparently," CMP is known around the country as an honest, straight shooter while other coaches are nuttin more than bush whackin lying cheatin varmits! Especially thems coaches who poaches guys we are after.

Reactions: BBG and Treed1967
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT