ADVERTISEMENT

Cryer offer

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
is the offer to cryer off the table? How much does painter stay in contact if something unexpected happens?

My bigger question is: are all offers conditional on something?

My son was offered and signed mid-level D1 basketball. There are rules and unwritten rules (kinda like ethics). Technically, they are not conditional in the way we might look at that word. But!!!!!!! They are conditional on certain character aspects (no sexual assaults, OWI, kinda stuff) and, of course, conditional on there being a scholarship left. Realistically. If there is still strong interest from PU in Cryer and it's being shown, I'm sure he and his parents (based on the in-home visit, they are integral and respected) would naturally question how he would fit based on recent happenings. Then, it's up to them to make a choice. As you can easily see, there is that opp for PU to say, "Well, you know, Morton is really good and a lot taller."

The true ethical dilemma is when a player assumes that his offer is for 4-years when in legality, it is annually renewable. Depending on the program, that could be used ... so a school is not actually bound to offer a player who has been there two years a scholarship for this third year. That, of course, is normally simply handled by a closed door meeting, behind which the words: "You're going to have to work really, really hard to come back and beat Smitty next year."

OFTEN referred to as "CREANING."

Whether they are conditional or not - when can an offer be yanked? At anytime I would presume, and does a reason really have to be given? I'm pretty sure I've read about instances where a recruit has circled back to accept an offer (outside of say a major injury or social discretion) only to have the school say the offer is no longer on the table.

I don't know the specific legalities ... I can find out ... I know that if a player doesn't sign during the early signing period, all offers are off the table, unless the school keeps them offered.

Whether they are conditional or not - when can an offer be yanked? At anytime I would presume, and does a reason really have to be given? I'm pretty sure I've read about instances where a recruit has circled back to accept an offer (outside of say a major injury or social discretion) only to have the school say the offer is no longer on the table.

Verbal scholarship offers are nonbinding.
The reason those college football programs can extend hundreds of offers is because verbal offers are not official—and neither are the verbal commitments that your student-athlete might make after receiving an offer. Nothing is set in stone until the National Letter of Intent is signed. However, it’s important to keep in mind that even though they are not binding, for the majority of athletics programs, verbal offers and commitments should be taken very seriously.

Insider Tip: Not every school uses the NLI—about 650 NCAA DI and DII schools—and it’s not mandatory to sign. The NAIA and NJCAA have their own versions of an NLI letter.

My son was offered and signed mid-level D1 basketball. There are rules and unwritten rules (kinda like ethics). Technically, they are not conditional in the way we might look at that word. But!!!!!!! They are conditional on certain character aspects (no sexual assaults, OWI, kinda stuff) and, of course, conditional on there being a scholarship left. Realistically. If there is still strong interest from PU in Cryer and it's being shown, I'm sure he and his parents (based on the in-home visit, they are integral and respected) would naturally question how he would fit based on recent happenings. Then, it's up to them to make a choice. As you can easily see, there is that opp for PU to say, "Well, you know, Morton is really good and a lot taller."

The true ethical dilemma is when a player assumes that his offer is for 4-years when in legality, it is annually renewable. Depending on the program, that could be used ... so a school is not actually bound to offer a player who has been there two years a scholarship for this third year. That, of course, is normally simply handled by a closed door meeting, behind which the words: "You're going to have to work really, really hard to come back and beat Smitty next year."

OFTEN referred to as "CREANING."

So do you think painter reached out to cryer soon after the Morton commitment to give him the lay of the land?

Or do you think he slowly stopped texting/calling him?

I believe that scholarships once a NLI is signed is now for 4 years unless the athlete violates some condition of the scholarship. The
coach can make life difficult or not play the athlete but he can,t revoke his scholarship anymore

I believe that scholarships once a NLI is signed is now for 4 years unless the athlete violates some condition of the scholarship. The
coach can make life difficult or not play the athlete but he can,t revoke his scholarship anymore
I cannot find anything past Nov. '17, but here is what was up to date then ... I do have the latest rules and will do a more thorough search after the g'baby goes home:
An athletic scholarship cannot be guaranteed for four years. NCAA institutions offer one-year college scholarships that can be renewable annually. At the end of each year, athletics-based aid may be canceled or reduced for any reason.

Scholarships can be taken away.
Although no one likes to think about it, it’s possible for student-athletes to lose their athletic scholarships, and it can happen for a variety of reasons. The most common scenario is when a student-athlete thinks they have a scholarship but they don’t actually have one. This is one of the pitfalls of not understanding the difference between a verbal offer and an actual scholarship. As explained above, until the contract is signed, there is no scholarship.

Student-athletes can also lose a scholarship due to injury, although it’s more likely that they will be redshirted. Another way your student-athlete can lose a scholarship is by not being renewed for the next year. Non-renewals can occur for a number of different reasons, including if the current coach leaves, if the student-athlete gets in trouble, poor performance on or off the court/field, among others.

I cannot find anything past Nov. '17, but here is what was up to date then ... I do have the latest rules and will do a more thorough search after the g'baby goes home:
An athletic scholarship cannot be guaranteed for four years. NCAA institutions offer one-year college scholarships that can be renewable annually. At the end of each year, athletics-based aid may be canceled or reduced for any reason.

Although no one likes to think about it, it’s possible for student-athletes to lose their athletic scholarships, and it can happen for a variety of reasons. The most common scenario is when a student-athlete thinks they have a scholarship but they don’t actually have one. This is one of the pitfalls of not understanding the difference between a verbal offer and an actual scholarship. As explained above, until the contract is signed, there is no scholarship.

Student-athletes can also lose a scholarship due to injury, although it’s more likely that they will be redshirted. Another way your student-athlete can lose a scholarship is by not being renewed for the next year. Non-renewals can occur for a number of different reasons, including if the current coach leaves, if the student-athlete gets in trouble, poor performance on or off the court/field, among others.

When did the 4 year D1 scholarships end, my understanding is they can still be extended but very few D1 Coaches and Universities extend them?

When did the 4 year D1 scholarships end, my understanding is they can still be extended but very few D1 Coaches and Universities extend them?
My son received his scholarship in the early 90s and they did not exist then. I have never heard of them existing, but I don't know about changing and then changing again.

All B1G scholarships are now four years

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ntees-four-year-scholarships-student-athletes

Reactions: BoilerAndy
From the current NCAA website

‘Many athletics scholarships, like most merit-based scholarships, are granted for one academic year. However, Division I schools are allowed to provide multi-year scholarships. Allowing these schools to award scholarships for longer than a single year gives student-athletes greater assurance their education will continue even if they suffer an injury, their athletics performance does not live up to expectations or the coaching staff changes. If a school plans to reduce or not renew a student-athlete’s aid, the school must provide the student-athlete an opportunity to appeal. In most cases, coaches decide who receives a scholarship, what it will cover and whether it will be renewed.”

Picked Baylor. Always felt like he was gonna stay close to home. Feel like he will do just fine in their system

I am glad we got Morton when we did. Morton is the better fit here and hopefully it works out for LJ with Scott Drew in Waco.
Nice to have to even have the concern about two great players as to which one you got.

He will likely do well and be a good fit there in Waco...that program has had sustained high level success, from a wins/losses standpoint and a player development standpoint as well...Scott is a great coach and I would bet that Cryer does well there and in that system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT