ADVERTISEMENT

Criteria for next HC

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
I wanted to trust and believe in Walters, but I believe he's lost this team and they've quit on him. That's extremely difficult to recover from.
That said, if MBob were putting together a criteria list for the next HC, what would it be:
Mine are:
1) HC experience, preferably at a P5 school, not a service academy and not someone who got lucky for 1 year (Hazell). Sorry, no more coordinators without HC experience.
2) Recruiting: values speed and athletes. Tiller took athletes and found a position for them, even if it wasn't what they were originally recruited for. Bunch of these types made the NFL.
3) Embraces NIL. It is what it is. You have to use it and it can be an equalizer to some extent.
4) Test consistently competitive and rarely get blown out. You play hard every down of every game, regardless of the score. Yeh, blowouts will happen, but a team quitting is a different story.
5) Doesn't believe in the notion that Purdue is at any sort of disadvantage.

I wanted to trust and believe in Walters, but I believe he's lost this team and they've quit on him. That's extremely difficult to recover from.
That said, if MBob were putting together a criteria list for the next HC, what would it be:
Mine are:
1) HC experience, preferably at a P5 school, not a service academy and not someone who got lucky for 1 year (Hazell). Sorry, no more coordinators without HC experience.
2) Recruiting: values speed and athletes. Tiller took athletes and found a position for them, even if it wasn't what they were originally recruited for. Bunch of these types made the NFL.
3) Embraces NIL. It is what it is. You have to use it and it can be an equalizer to some extent.
4) Test consistently competitive and rarely get blown out. You play hard every down of every game, regardless of the score. Yeh, blowouts will happen, but a team quitting is a different story.
5) Doesn't believe in the notion that Purdue is at any sort of disadvantage.
#1 eliminates just about anybody who would actually take the job.

Reactions: Bippus33
I would expand #1 to include G5. In some ways, continued success at a G5 school might be a better indication of their ability to succeed at Purdue than the same success at a P5 school. You know the G5 coach has not been successful based off talent alone. He's had to go out and find less heralded recruits and coach them up. He's probably had to deal with some of his best players transferring out to bigger programs. He probably wasn't able to go buy the best players in the portal to fill holes in the roster. He probably has experience at taking inexperienced athletes who aren't highly regarded as football players and coaching them to be useful and productive members of the team that can compete with four-star talent they line up against.

Basically the coach at a G5 school has demonstrated over 5+ years that they can do more with less.

Last edited:
1. A 5+ year track record of success as a FBS head coach.

2. Able and willing to bring staff with him.

3. Well connected in recruiting and leaves no stones unturned to identify under-the-radar talent.

4. Demonstrated ability to coach up quarterbacks and coordinate a dynamic passing attack.

Prior headcoaching experience is a must especially at Purdue. We are not an easy school to coach at according to ESPN. Assistant coaches typically only see part of the job the HC has to do. Also, if you have been in the fire, you don't over react when things start fall apart. Now that being said there are plenty of examples of a Assistant doing well at HC (Kirby) but different environments.

First. The AD needs to evaluate how he apportions the NIL money he has available. It appears Purdue gives out more money to basketball athletes than other schools do. I’m ok with that, but in doing so, one must realize the football program will suffer.

I’m a firm believer Purdue needs to build a football program similar to the programs at Iowa and Wisconsin. Their funding is similar to Purdue and have proven teams don’t need to be pass happy to be successful in the Big 10. The concept that Purdue has to be passing oriented to be successful is a myth. I know some fans love a passing offense, but more fans are happy just with a win. Look at IU fans today.

The coach has to have experience and a staff and he has to bring recruits with him. This needs to be like a neon Deon signing where the coach will bring 10-20 recruits with him. Because at this stage, a coach arriving in December is going to have a hard time adding recruits.

Essentially a new coach is going to have done his recruiting before he arrives!

We definitely need to improve player development. Our juniors are not showing any progression that they are any better than they were as freshmen. Look at Hartwig. He started as a freshman. He’s a great player. But how much has he improved and developed over his first year?

And we need to stop blaming lack of recruiting time and the previous staff for leaving the cupboard bare. Look at IU and Wisconsin. Their coaches had basically the same amount of recruiting time. And their cupboards were bare.

Finally change the recruiting philosophy and start concentrating on recruiting elite linemen. Purdue needs to stop the pipeline of Indiana linemen going to Iowa. There is a lot of talent inside Indiana that is going to out of state schools.

And lastly rather than matching the salaries other schools are paying, pay the coach what his experience and not his potential dictates! Don’t pay a guy who has zero head coaching experience as if he has won 5 big 10 championships! And don’t pay a coach a salary that you can’t afford to buy out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT