ADVERTISEMENT

Continue to be right

1. PG
2. Coaching

Got lucky last game...not so much today.
PG defense was pretty good today until Walton burned them late. Should have left Hill in. We got nothing from them on offense. Those thinking CE won't start over PJ next year are going to be disappointed. This team continues to give leads away, which is coaching.

1. PG
2. Coaching

How was it the PG? We somehow managed to lose the rebounding battle against that team, and that's on the PG? Davis and Edwards were both absolutely pathetic offensively and that's on the PG?

The coaching part is an OK argument, especially today, becauae it was clear that we were not well coached in this game. But the PG spot was not close to the reason we lost.

The sunshine boys will tear you up, but you don't see a 10 point run to end a game if you have a serviceable PG.
certainly a "pg" that is really talented can be a big plus. However, the Purdue pg didn't allow Michigan to score the last points, nor have Purdue miss Ft.s and easy buckets inside. This game was all about a lack of focus and intensity that shows up in many areas.

No, it's on the floor effort. Period.

Who's job is it to motivate them and give effort? In the past, it was because RJ was a bad egg, and TJ was overrated and Bryson Scott had a bad attitude. Get over it. It's up to the HEAD COACH to bring in guys who will give effort and motivate them to give even more. Blaming it on "floor effort" is directly on CMP.

It's on the coaches and the players......you win as a TEAM and you lose as a TEAM.....plenty of blame to go around I suppose, but the tough thing is this team hasn't been able to win a conference road game against the better teams in quite a while.....JMHO.

Still plenty to play for, but a disappointing game today. Outrebounded for the first time all season.

Reactions: mathboy
Who's job is it to motivate them and give effort? In the past, it was because RJ was a bad egg, and TJ was overrated and Bryson Scott had a bad attitude. Get over it. It's up to the HEAD COACH to bring in guys who will give effort and motivate them to give even more. Blaming it on "floor effort" is directly on CMP.
AJ had issues in being focused for a long time. He is substantially better. Edwards is in a slump. Biggie has some limitations physically... and he is still young and learning. A coach does in fact need to motivate a player and a team. However, unless you have dominating talent, THAT is probably the hardest job of coaching. He tried to wake AJ up. It is not the first time a team has a huge win and then goes on the road to a team that it is tied with in the league and get beat. I don't like it and saw it coming the whole game as anyone in the house could attest :), but it is what it is.

1. PG
2. Coaching

I disagree about coaching. In last 2 minutes what did Painter do wrong? It's 56-50. Michigan hit a 3. Clutch on their part. Purdue comes down throws it into the post to Hammons. Wise correct? Now the other players stand around not giving him an out. So Hammons puts up not the greatest shot. He misses. Michigan runs down the court off a questionable shot and scores. Now Purdue comes down with a 1pt lead. Misses a driving shot. Michigan came down and hit a tough clutch shot in the paint. Purdue calls time out. Gets the ball into the post. Biggie misses a post shot that he has to hit. Has to hit that shot. Misses, fumbles the ball outta bounds.

They get ball back and drive kickout for a possible clutch 3 and PJ misses. Then down 3 Edwards driving to basket misses a shot when he should have been kicking it out for a 3.

What did Matt do wrong. Matt can't walk out their and shoot the ball for these guys in the last minute. Edwards needs to step up and make clutch shots. Team is not finishing games in last minutes. WHY? You will have ask the players. Lack of mental toughness...

This game never should have come down to those plays anyway. Purdue was up 4 with several possessions and turned the ball over. Davis can't finish a drive to save his life.
Where is Edwards in the clutch. I'd rather see Cline at this point taking shots in the clutch....

Unfortunately the team has warped into the team from last year in the clutch against Cincy. They tighten up when the game is on the line. In the NCAA tournament when the pressure really ramps up.... Don't be surprised if this team bows out early.

BTW when Purdue had the ball down 1 after Michigan took the lead. I thought who is the GO to guy here. I had NO ANSWER! Which sums up the issue in a nutshell. Purdue has no go to guy in the clutch because no one has stepped up to be that GUY. I can name players who should step up. Ie... R Davis being a senior, Edwards....

I am probably in the minority but I think our below average point guard play hurts us more than coaching decisions. PJ and Hill were not bad today but they are probably in the lower third of the B1G for point guards. I realize the coach recruits the players so that is ultimately on Painter though. We win by a dozen with LewJack today

Reactions: BoilerFan#35
It's on the coaches and the players......you win as a TEAM and you lose as a TEAM.....plenty of blame to go around I suppose, but the tough thing is this team hasn't been able to win a conference road game against the better teams in quite a while.....JMHO.

Still plenty to play for, but a disappointing game today. Outrebounded for the first time all season.
out rebounded, missed bunnies, missed Ft's all signs the players were not as tuned in as needed...then throw in scoring a bunch later in the game the first time they played Michigan...easy to see a lack of focus

Reactions: CRBoiler and BBG
I disagree about coaching. In last 2 minutes what did Painter do wrong? It's 56-50. Michigan hit a 3. Clutch on their part. Purdue comes down throws it into the post to Hammons. Wise correct? Now the other players stand around not giving him an out. So Hammons puts up not the greatest shot. He misses. Michigan runs down the court off a questionable shot and scores. Now Purdue comes down with a 1pt lead. Misses a driving shot. Michigan came down and hit a tough clutch shot in the paint. Purdue calls time out. Gets the ball into the post. Biggie misses a post shot that he has to hit. Has to hit that shot. Misses, fumbles the ball outta bounds.

They get ball back and drive kickout for a possible clutch 3 and PJ misses. Then down 3 Edwards driving to basket misses a shot when he should have been kicking it out for a 3.

What did Matt do wrong. Matt can't walk out their and shoot the ball for these guys in the last minute. Edwards needs to step up and make clutch shots. Team is not finishing games in last minutes. WHY? You will have ask the players. Lack of mental toughness...

This game never should have come down to those plays anyway. Purdue was up 4 with several possessions and turned the ball over. Davis can't finish a drive to save his life.
Where is Edwards in the clutch. I'd rather see Cline at this point taking shots in the clutch....

Unfortunately the team has warped into the team from last year in the clutch against Cincy. They tighten up when the game is on the line. In the NCAA tournament when the pressure really ramps up.... Don't be surprised if this team bows out early.

BTW when Purdue had the ball down 1 after Michigan took the lead. I thought who is the GO to guy here. I had NO ANSWER! Which sums up the issue in a nutshell. Purdue has no go to guy in the clutch because no one has stepped up to be that GUY. I can name players who should step up. Ie... R Davis being a senior, Edwards....
edwards is in a mini slump right now

No, it's on the floor effort. Period.
Not when it continues to happen game in and game out. Besides, even if I thought that was the case, which I don't, these are the guys Painter recruited.

AJ had issues in being focused for a long time. He is substantially better. Edwards is in a slump. Biggie has some limitations physically... and he is still young and learning. A coach does in fact need to motivate a player and a team. However, unless you have dominating talent, THAT is probably the hardest job of coaching. He tried to wake AJ up. It is not the first time a team has a huge win and then goes on the road to a team that it is tied with in the league and get beat. I don't like it and saw it coming the whole game as anyone in the house could attest :), but it is what it is.

Michigan needed this game more then Purdue. It's hard to win on the road and Purdue didn't shoot FT's well, got out rebounded first time all year. Hammons did not show up for most of the game. R Davis and Edwards and PJ did nothing on Offense. Cline and Swanigan played well on Offense. Yet Purdue still was in position to win.

Frustrating loss. I will once again reiterate this program was in the chitcan 2 years ago. This team barely made the tourney last year and Swanigan was added to the mix. Now you want a Final 4!!!!!! It's going to take time to get the program back up to where it was in 2011.

I look forward to a Purdue team 2 years from now if Swanigan is here his Junior year. Hass a senior at Center, Swanigan a Junior at PF and Edwards a Senior at SF. Along with Cline a Junior at 2G and maybe Carsen Edwards a Soph at PG. Along with PJ, Mathias and Basil. If that team s playing the way this team does in last 2 minutes of tiht games. Then yeah blame Painter.

Michigan needed this game more then Purdue. It's hard to win on the road and Purdue didn't shoot FT's well, got out rebounded first time all year. Hammons did not show up for most of the game. R Davis and Edwards and PJ did nothing on Offense. Cline and Swanigan played well on Offense. Yet Purdue still was in position to win.

Frustrating loss. I will once again reiterate this program was in the chitcan 2 years ago. This team barely made the tourney last year and Swanigan was added to the mix. Now you want a Final 4!!!!!! It's going to take time to get the program back up to where it was in 2011.

I look forward to a Purdue team 2 years from now if Swanigan is here his Junior year. Hass a senior at Center, Swanigan a Junior at PF and Edwards a Senior at SF. Along with Cline a Junior at 2G and maybe Carsen Edwards a Soph at PG. Along with PJ, Mathias and Basil. If that team s playing the way this team does in last 2 minutes of tiht games. Then yeah blame Painter.
I think the FF should be a goal and expectations of this team, but I'm not even talking about that. This team is not even in contention for the B1G with about 1/3 of the season to go. We probably won't even finish in the top 5 in the league.

Not when it continues to happen game in and game out. Besides, even if I thought that was the case, which I don't, these are the guys Painter recruited.

EXPLAIN to me what Painter did wrong in this game after Michigan cut the lead to 56-53? They came down twice and went into the post to Hammons and Swanigan and they missed shots. They came down driving to basket and kicked out to PJ for a 3. All missed. What do you want Painter to do. He cannot force them to hit the shots. They have to execute and hit those shots. If you can point out how Painter is failing here then I buy the argument it's his fault. You say he recruited the players? Fine he did. Those players have have all had big games in the past.

Unfortunately the MO on this team is they SHRINK in the moment. Maybe if they lose enough of these games like this. They will get tired of it and step up and hit the big shots.

Reactions: yotheo and mathboy
EXPLAIN to me what Painter did wrong in this game after Michigan cut the lead to 56-53? They came down twice and went into the post to Hammons and Swanigan and they missed shots. They came down driving to basket and kicked out to PJ for a 3. All missed. What do you want Painter to do. He cannot force them to hit the shots. They have to execute and hit those shots. If you can point out how Painter is failing here then I buy the argument it's his fault. You say he recruited the players? Fine he did. Those players have have all had big games in the past.

Unfortunately the MO on this team is they SHRINK in the moment. Maybe if they lose enough of these games like this. They will get tired of it and step up and hit the big shots.
Honestly, I thought we looked really out of sinc those last few possessions on offense and he should have called a TO and set something up. I also think he needs to play any 2 of the 3 (Cline, Mathias or Stephens) together. When you have enough threats on the floor from the outside, it's going to open up the middle. If not, then shoot the open 3, if we miss, then we miss. I don't understand the Edwards drive at all. We had less than 14 seconds in the game and down 3. Even if he hits that, we are down 1 with 4 seconds left and them shooting FTS. Long shot at best to win at that point. Use your last TO, get Mathias, Cline, Edwards or Stephens a shot to tie it.

Reactions: seminolesboilers

Having Biggie guard Irvin is a good place to start.Mathias getting no minutes or very few the second half.Playing Ray 33 min.and only scoring 4 points.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
How can any one back up painter? Any numbskul can tell he has the team out of whack. His player rotation is horrible. His desire to play strict man to man is just plain stupid. Anyone that thinks he will lead us any where needs a lobotomy

How can any one back up painter? Any numbskul can tell he has the team out of whack. His player rotation is horrible. His desire to play strict man to man is just plain stupid. Anyone that thinks he will lead us any where needs a lobotomy
This... Any coach could win with this team. It doesn't take rocket science to tell one of the most dominant players in college basketball to go win games.

This... Any coach could win with this team. It doesn't take rocket science to tell one of the most dominant players in college basketball to go win games.
You keep proving you're not bright with each and every post. No way you are a Boiler. Not a chance. Now shut up you tool with your embarrassing nonsense.

You keep proving you're not bright with each and every post. No way you are a Boiler. Not a chance. Now shut up you tool with your embarrassing nonsense.
I am a die hard fan who realizes this teams potential. The only thing in my eyes holding them back is Painter. I don't think I have seen one TO he has called this season have any positive results.

No you're not. And you are not qualified to judge whether a TO is used effectively or not. You lack the experience, knowledge and non-emotional capabilities to make such a judgement.
Its not that hard to see if a TO did or didn't work. First of all did they make or miss their next shot. Secondly then which way the score trend.

Oh, goody. I thought all of the "We lose because we don't play zone" proponents disappeared after last year.

If MP played zone, we'd be undefeated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT