ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Tournament vs. Regular Season Title

Which is more important? Which one is more "official"? Is change inevitable?

It is my understanding that there are 2 separate B1G conference titles each year - 1 for the regular season and 1 for the tournament.

I live near South Bend and they have been calling Notre Dame last year's ACC champions. They finished 3rd in the regular season but won the tourney. So, I looked it up and apparently the ACC has considered their tournament champ the one and only official conference champ since 1961.

Conversely, the B1G didn't even start a conference tourney until 1998, so obviously the regular season championship has a much longer and storied history. But it makes me wonder if this confusing duality will continue or will the regular season title eventually be made unofficial as in the ACC?

I like getting a trophy when we finish the regular season as #1 in the conference.. who doesn't.. But there isn't even a trophy for finishing the regular season #1 in the national polls. Even now football has a conference championship game. Unbalanced schedules with 14 team conference just add to the problem. Seems to me like the regular season title is slowly being phased into less and less significance.

I couldn't read through this whole thread ... bogged down in the middle, but I'm firmly in the regular season matters camp. What a team proves over an 18-game stretch means more than a single elimination tournament. I think winning the regular season of your conference should matter as much as the NCAA tournament. I know I'm a dinosaur in that thinking but matchups and randomness account for a huge portion of tournament success. Even accounting for the unbalanced schedule now in the B1G, the tournament is more random.

I'm not one to get into internet pissing matches, so without addressing anyone personally here is a bit of friendly advice to whomever it may concern..

1. Instead of turning nearly every single thread into a tirade against IU, how about we create a single thread devoted to that. Post whatever you want to there, collect how ever many trolls you desire, and have your back and forths. This will help facilitate topical conversation within all other threads.

2. Might want to consider just altogether dropping the complaining about IU winning the regular season title. They had the best record out of these 18 games. Period. Accept it and move on. It really isn't that big of a deal. There's a lot more left to play for.

Y'all can take it or leave it. Free advice is worth what you paid for it after all..

Reactions: Statey and mathboy
I went back and looked at the threads and topics in October and November and there was plenty of talk and predicting how we would finish in the B1G conference. I couldn't find a single one talking about what our chances would be in the BTT. So apparently a lot of posters here suddenly had a change of heart on the value of the regular season in a matter of a couple months, coincidentally after our arch rival won the conference outright. Winning the regular season will always be more impressive than the BTT, at least to me. Frankly there are probably 7 teams that could win the tourney.

Reactions: Statey
Regular season goes down in history books. Conf tourney not as valued but it gives better indication on how a team will do in the NCAAs.
This year, it will only be useful for Michigan or Ohio State to show that they belong in the big dance if they win the tourney and to show everyone how bad IU really is and how good Purdue really is. Do Michigan or Ohio State have a chance to win the tourney, absolutely not. Teams that have a chance to win the tourney listed below:
MSU - Izzo Valentine
Purdue - Hammonds Haas
Iowa - McCaffery Uthoff
Maryland - Stone, Trimble
Wisconsin - Gard

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT