ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching staff lost the fan base today.

I think you're probably right. I was ready to at least give him a third year, but this is ridiculous. This is shaping up to be the worst three year run in Purdue football history (which, in itself, is up and down, at best). Dear god... I like Appleby, but 6/24? Sadly, this team is more than just a QB or OC change away from being competitive. It's probably a good thing that I'm not the AD - I'd fire Hazell tomorrow.

I watched the team come out after half. They walked all slow, heads down. Half the team didn't even make it to the entry tunnel by the time the horn sounded. They looked dejected and we're down only 24-17. They knew what was going to happen. Not impressed with the staff at all. Team didn't want to win.

I watched the team come out after half. They walked all slow, heads down. Half the team didn't even make it to the entry tunnel by the time the horn sounded. They looked dejected and we're down only 24-17. They knew what was going to happen. Not impressed with the staff at all. Team didn't want to win.
There is enough talent on this team to win but the staff has no clue how to use them to their strengths. At this rate we will be lucky to win another game all year let alone just compete.

There is enough talent on this team to win but the staff has no clue how to use them to their strengths. At this rate we will be lucky to win another game all year let alone just compete.
I think that is totally the thing. In 2013 I always said 'The talent isnt there, don't blame the staff.'

Now the talent is there. Blame the staff.

Reactions: Redhotfill

I disagree. There are talented players, but Purdue does NOT have anywhere the depth it needs. Think about it - VA Tech was playing today without its starting QB and their starting mike LB - one of the most important positions in their defense. Both backups performed admirably. We don't have that kind of depth - even at key positions.

I know people like to pick on the offense, but what about the defense? We made VA Tech look like they have a great offense. We gave up almost 500 yards of offense. Our great linemen? Oh, they averaged over 4 yards/run (2 running backs had a combined 18 carries for 127 yards!). Our great secondary? Their QB, who a lot of VA Tech fans didn't want even starting, averaged 10 yards an attempt! I mean, I'm not Appleby's fan by any means - I didn't want him in there last year. But it's not on him. There's no chance you're going to have a QB like him succeed in this offense with a run game that's shaky at best. We had a couple nice runs, but other than those 2 - we practically did nothing.

So no, it's not Appleby's fault. No, it's not the offensive coordinator's fault. We don't have individual problems. The entire team is just NOT good.

It's nice that we were "in the game" in the first half, but it was a complete mirage. VA Tech practically drove us down the field to score a TD almost solely based on their penalties. They had one big mistake when they should have scored a TD that led to a Purdue TD. Which is great, not gonna take that away from Purdue. But again, the first half was nothing more than toying with us.

I disagree. There are talented players, but Purdue does NOT have anywhere the depth it needs. Think about it - VA Tech was playing today without its starting QB and their starting mike LB - one of the most important positions in their defense. Both backups performed admirably. We don't have that kind of depth - even at key positions.

I know people like to pick on the offense, but what about the defense? We made VA Tech look like they have a great offense. We gave up almost 500 yards of offense. Our great linemen? Oh, they averaged over 4 yards/run (2 running backs had a combined 18 carries for 127 yards!). Our great secondary? Their QB, who a lot of VA Tech fans didn't want even starting, averaged 10 yards an attempt! I mean, I'm not Appleby's fan by any means - I didn't want him in there last year. But it's not on him. There's no chance you're going to have a QB like him succeed in this offense with a run game that's shaky at best. We had a couple nice runs, but other than those 2 - we practically did nothing.

So no, it's not Appleby's fault. No, it's not the offensive coordinator's fault. We don't have individual problems. The entire team is just NOT good.

It's nice that we were "in the game" in the first half, but it was a complete mirage. VA Tech practically drove us down the field to score a TD almost solely based on their penalties. They had one big mistake when they should have scored a TD that led to a Purdue TD. Which is great, not gonna take that away from Purdue. But again, the first half was nothing more than toying with us.
I agree the defense wasn't stellar but they played good in the first half. You can't expect any defense to play 33 plus minutes of a game and hold a team down. 3 and out after 3 and out and eventually the D will break. This loss is mostly on the offense.

Reactions: Augie85
Too bad. I really wanted to see Hazell be successful. Team not ready and not capable.
I'm afraid to say I might be right there with you. I really wanted to see Hazell turn this around. He's not the man for the job. That sucks. For the last 3 years our teams have not played smart or hard. I couldn't count the amount of arm tackles that VT ran through, today. Also, all of the times that the officials could have called a PI on VT, but our receivers would just give up and not even fight through the contact to make it an obvious call. The stupid self-imposed penalties that would kill any kind of momentum we might have. The coaching staff being so conservative. I said while sitting in the stands today with 2 seconds left on the clock before halftime as we knelt on the ball; the coach has given up, so the players will too. Boy, did they! The 2nd half was even worse than the 1st. 2 seconds left with the ball near midfield and we take a knee. Just a short week after we completed a hail mary for a td at almost the same spot on the field. It's been very frustrating to say the least.

I agree the defense wasn't stellar but they played good in the first half. You can't expect any defense to play 33 plus minutes of a game and hold a team down. 3 and out after 3 and out and eventually the D will break. This loss is mostly on the offense.

VA Tech has not been an offensive juggernaut for years. They're known for defense. Their offense is NOT great. Last season, they lost a game to Wake Forest 6-3....in double overtime. Yes, that means the game was tied 0-0 going into overtime.

VA Tech had 140 yards in the first quarter against us. That doesn't even include their fumble run back for a TD. They had 190 yards in the second quarter. That's 330 yards of offense IN THE FIRST HALF! This has nothing to do with being "worn out". Their offense, being led by a back-up QB, was shredding us. It just happened to workout that it was not a blowout and their penalties were killing them.

And guess what, you're also proving half my point - we have no depth!

I'm not blaming this game on either offense or defense. Neither are good...period. It'd be nice to have at least one strength - like we have a dangerous offense, but a crappy defense. Or we have no offense, but a playmaking defense.

But no, we just have average at best everything.

I suppose you are partly correct. But we held our own in the red zone. We held them for the most part and sure we gave up yards in the 1st half but we had 130 yards total in the first half. VT racked up yards because they were on the field the whole time. We couldn't move the ball at all and they had possession.

I suppose you are partly correct. But we held our own in the red zone. We held them for the most part and sure we gave up yards in the 1st half but we had 130 yards total in the first half. VT racked up yards because they were on the field the whole time. We couldn't move the ball at all and they had possession.

Again, agree to disagree.

We had 13 minutes of possession in the first half. 43% of the time. Obviously that's not great, but that's not exactly not being on the field at all. Purdue actually had more possession time in the first quarter than VA Tech.

Our defense got shredded, it just worked out that it wasn't a blowout yet.

Stop arguing. You're both right: the offense and defense both suck equally.

Yeah. Sucks. I thought the defense was ok and in position most of the time except for Gregory like usual. Safeties number one rule is not let anyone get behind you let he does all the time. Lost of arm tackling from the secondary. Just poor all over.

I didn't even want to win. Just wanted to compete against a quality team.

Their coaching staff understood the game and made adjustments at half. Not sure what ours did.

I would think DH made sure his investments were doing well by calling his financial adviser, I would too, if I were being paid $2,200,000.00 more a year than I was worth.

Maybe the team is under performing to get this lame staff fired! Simply, because they more than anyone else know the level of complete incompetence!

Reactions: OldStyle1902
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT