ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching attire

BoilerMaker P

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 28, 2001
Watching the Kentucky vs Texas Tech game and noticed Cal and Buzz and their staffs are wearing suits tonight. I can’t remember the last time I saw CMP coaching in a suit. I was wondering this the other day too if the Big Ten coaches all got together and agreed to just coach in quarter zips and sweatshirts this year? Does the conference set a dress code? Just curious. Random thoughts for a Wednesday night.

Who would have ever thought Bob Huggins would be on the cutting edge of coaching apparel chic?

As for coaches wearing uniforms, New Pal, think of the innovations in tensile strength technology for the manufacturing of Crean's trunks alone.
In the Big Ten...I think it was George Ravling that may have been the first at Iowa in the early to mid 80s

I've never understood why basketball coaches wear suits. Its an athletic event,not a boardroom meeting...
And the only times I've ever worn a suit to work was to interview for a job...
I think CMP looks better in a suit and dress shirt. The quarter zip plus the mask just pulls the eye to the double chin. Also, he should wear colors not grey/beige.

I've never understood why basketball coaches wear suits. Its an athletic event,not a boardroom meeting...

I think CMP looks better in a suit and dress shirt. The quarter zip plus the mask just pulls the eye to the double chin. Also, he should wear colors not grey/beige.
leave it to a woman to catch the subtleties of dress. :D

In the Big Ten...I think it was George Ravling that may have been the first at Iowa in the early to mid 80s
Yes, Raveling used to wear the full sweatsuit (pants & jacket), if memory serves.

Can't remember the year, but Knight started wearing a sweater to the games. It was the equivalent of today's 1/4 zip. I thought it was in the 80's, but could have been later. When he threw the chair in '85 he was wearing a golf shirt.

Yes, Raveling used to wear the full sweatsuit (pants & jacket), if memory serves.

Can't remember the year, but Knight started wearing a sweater to the games. It was the equivalent of today's 1/4 zip. I thought it was in the 80's, but could have been later. When he threw the chair in '85 he was wearing a golf shirt.
Yeah, I'm pretty good friends with a guy that in a sectional game wore a red sweater and white shirt underneath and some plaid pants that purposely rolled his sweater a few inches up even if his belly never presented the same image... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue85

I think the chair game was the first time Knight eschewed the jacket and tie.

I vaguely recall that when he was tossed one of the TV announcers said it was unseasonably warm in Bloomington, so Knight could head for the links since he was wearing a golf shirt.

Throwing a hoodie doesn't seem as dramatic as taking off a jacket and throwing it, or whipping it around in the air. Plus that clearly makes your team play through screens better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT