ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches must balance reality and optimism

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
I have no doubt that coaches, good ones at least, know where they are weakest and strongest. However, they cannot and should not publically state them as it errodes trust/respect between coaches and players.

As a result, coaches are forced to go in front of the media and walk a fine line between telling the truth and spinning the truth into some vague nondescript statement.

I would never want CJB to come out in early August and state our program sucks, e O and D lines are pitiful, my QB is indecisive and when he does it is the wrong decision, our yadda yadda yadda. Instead, we'll here we are not where we need to be.

I believe the talent level is increasing at Purdue and that CJB would love to share a great deal with folks about all the starters but must continue to build up his players.

This is why forced media interviews before and after a game are silly I feel. It becomes a thesaurus exercise on how to say the same thing using different words day in and day out while not saying anything of substance. Much like this post. :)

"Much like this post. :)"

That is the single greatest post this board has ever seen. Period. Drop mike. :)
We got spoiled when Brohm and co. took a sow's ear and made several silk purses out of it the last two years.
Strike that. They didn't even have the sow's ear. :p

Following a loss, post game interviews are always almost 100% coach speak. But the midweek interviews generally convey what you need to know. You just need to learn to read between the lines. It is pretty clear which guys are performing up to his expectations and which are not.

Reactions: Bippus33
Just pay attention to some of the stupid-@ss questions asked by supposed "professional journalists."

"what does it mean to you to ..."

"how do you feel about ..."

Ex: What would it mean to this team to have Rondale back.

Those are the types of questions I see/hear in just about every media session.

...like nails on a chalkboard...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT