ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Davis

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread about this but it would have been easy to miss if you were at the game.

Near the end of the game, Davis was sitting by Painter, with dry erase board in hand, and appeared to be going over plays with Lowe and Brantley. The commentators caught on to this, and even showed Davis holding up his board while we were on offense one time.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I haven't. I've never heard Davis say that he wants to be a coach, but of all the players I can remember, I don't ever remember thinking one was more destined to be a great coach.

I thought it was done in fun. Davis was calling plays at the end of a blowout win with Purdue deep into its bench. Didn't read much more into it than a little bit of fooling around while they were in the early stages of celebrating a win.

If he wants to be a coach, he could probably be a really good one.

Last edited:
Davis reminds me a great deal of 'Zo...in terms of how he plays, in the way that he has worked on his game, and in the way that he is every bit a leader (and one of the best that Purdue has had) like 'Zo was. I want to say that 'Zo was the first underclassmen to be named a captain...and Davis was a captain as an underclassmen as well. I have no idea if he wishes to be a coach or not, but in that he reminds me as much as he does to 'Zo, sure seems like his future could be bright if he went in that direction...that said, guys like that have a bright future regardless of what direction they go seemingly.

If Davis does not end up either in the nba or in Europe, I sure hope Painter can find a way to put him on the coaching staff. Ray would be a fantastic coach and motivator - and likely a very good recruiter. I would be all in on that hire.

JMHOAU

I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread about this but it would have been easy to miss if you were at the game.

Near the end of the game, Davis was sitting by Painter, with dry erase board in hand, and appeared to be going over plays with Lowe and Brantley. The commentators caught on to this, and even showed Davis holding up his board while we were on offense one time.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I haven't. I've never heard Davis say that he wants to be a coach, but of all the players I can remember, I don't ever remember thinking one was more destined to be a great coach.

Mentioned it in the game thread.....the announcers had some fun with it during the game and saying it worked. It was "Cut Through" or something like that. Would have been really funny if it was "MOVE!" "MOVE!"

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Does anyone think Davis reminds them of Zo at all? I was just thinking this and wondered if anyone felt the same.

:cool:

Yes.....on my all-time Boiler Brick Wall Team:

Ricky Hall
Zo Martin
Brian Cardinal
Rob Hummel
Ray Davis

That's not meant to slight anyone that's worn the Old Gold & Black, but these have a unique connection for me. There's room for a few more.

Yes.....on my all-time Boiler Brick Wall Team:

Ricky Hall
Zo Martin
Brian Cardinal
Rob Hummel
Ray Davis

That's not meant to slight anyone that's worn the Old Gold & Black, but these have a unique connection for me. There's room for a few more.
Great list. Given what I assume to be the basis, I'm surprised you don't already have Kenneth Lowe on it as well.

I will second that motion punaj. Kenneth Lowe was as tough as they get. TWO TIME Defensive Player of the Year and 2nd on PU all time FT % list. Kid was listed in his bio as, "an unquestionable leader on and off the court". He bled gold and black like no other.........all smiles, but was a dedicated mofo to Purdue and Gene Keady. As you can tell, I loved this dude! Davis has some of these same attributes. These are the attributes of winners.

Kramer, 6th man of the year, off the bench. I'm betting he would be happy to agree with the guys in front of him.

I will second that motion punaj. Kenneth Lowe was as tough as they get. TWO TIME Defensive Player of the Year and 2nd on PU all time FT % list. Kid was listed in his bio as, "an unquestionable leader on and off the court". He bled gold and black like no other.........all smiles, but was a dedicated mofo to Purdue and Gene Keady. As you can tell, I loved this dude! Davis has some of these same attributes. These are the attributes of winners.

Was Lowe on the team that beat Duke in the Great Alaskan Shootout? That was a fun tourney.

Not only on the team, but the man who willed us to victory.

"Lowe was the difference -- a powerful leader," Duke coach Mike
Kryzewski said. "He's strong and he gives his team confidence."

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=233330150

Not only the man who willed them to victory, but was the Tourney MVP.

Here is what Lowe said about Davis from recent article........and why I really like Lowe, and Davis

Lowe, who goes back nearly 20 years now with the Purdue program, tweeted not long ago that Davis is one of his all-time favorite Boilermakers."People respect him, because he earned his way to being a captain," Lowe said. "He wasn't given it. He's one of the hardest-working guys on the team, a vocal leader. That combination, people have to respect it."I want to see him go out a champion. For me, that would be one of the best experiences for me at Purdue, either as a player or now being on the staff. He deserves it."

I watched Lowe in a high school game and my friend told me he would be a good recruit. I didn't know how good at the time. Love the praise that Ray got from Lowe. Two of the best boilers I've ever watched.

Great thoughts guys......that's why I'm proud to be associated with fellow Boilermakers.

Lowe and Kramer are as tough as they come....no question. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see Kenneth Lowe play very much at all during his career. I will start a second honorary team.

Kenneth Lowe
Chris Kramer
David Teague

Reactions: punaj
I wasn't going to rest until you put Lowe on that damn list Tex LOL!!!! That was a close one.......
He really was all heart and soul to the program........just like Davis, and all that have been mentioned. You know, the type of players who would get in a fight with those who disrespected Purdue......passion is what drove them.

If Davis does not end up either in the nba or in Europe, I sure hope Painter can find a way to put him on the coaching staff. Ray would be a fantastic coach and motivator - and likely a very good recruiter. I would be all in on that hire.

JMHOAU
+1,000

Wow, somebody stop this guy...
My bad...actually, my computer's...I could not post anything and then when it actually posted, it posted multiple times...I certainly did not mean to post it more than once and I tried to delete any duplicates once I saw this evening that they were there.

Is it just me or does Rays game completely mimick Spurs great Bruce Bowen? Great defense. Best shot being the corner three. Those two things alone can give you a long NBA career.

Reactions: SnowLeopard
I'm too young for Hall, but make @boilerzz suggestion to add Lowe and that is my all D team that I've seen in person.
I remember before Gene's first game at Purdue. he was holding an intrasquad game at Logansport that I went to see. I asked what I thought about what i saw. I said Purdue has a guy that plays around the rim and barely jumps (Russell Cross). I said they have a lightening quick guard on defense named Ricky Hall and the third thing I said was they set a lot of screens as that was my first introduction to the Flex Offense.

my favorite memory of kenny lowe was the great alaska shootout win against duke. 22 pts, ice 8-8 from the line, clutch shooting, and lights out D. his shot was so odd, line drive seemed like the bucket just dropped out of it as it reached the rim.

http://juneauempire.com/stories/113003/spo_duke.shtml

Reactions: PU pit bull
Is it just me or does Rays game completely mimick Spurs great Bruce Bowen? Great defense. Best shot being the corner three. Those two things alone can give you a long NBA career.

I said that before the season started....that Ray was an improved 3 point shot from making an NBA roster.

Stephens is another one who might make it into the NBA following this recipe.....if his defense continues improving like we have seen recently and his 3P% continues nudging back into the circa 40% mark where it belongs

In my opinion, Ryne Smith is the next Boiler grad to be on staff when one of Painter's assistants steps up to get their own HC job some where. Painter has done a great job developing his assistants and allowing them to spread their coaching wings AND it usually ends up with them being successful. Smith left Clinton Prairie and is now the HC at Anderson. I am assuming he will be there for 2-3 more years before getting a solid look by Painter to be on his staff. What other coaches in the area have said about Smith is that his ability to coach raw fundamentals and shooting is probably his best asset as a coach and that fit directly in to what Painter wants with his assistants.

As for Davis, he is probably going to end up playing 5-10 years overseas and build up a decent bank account for himself while there. When he returns, it'll be similar to what Kenny Lowe has done. Will be a video coordinator and help out in practices when needed and will end up moving up when the time is right. I think Lowe has done an excellent job with his job and is able to put film and other pieces together because he is a former player. I think some of the resurgence in the program is in thanks to Lowe and I think Painter has mentioned his ability to put great things together for the team to look at before.

Reactions: Dryfly88 and punaj
In my opinion, Ryne Smith is the next Boiler grad to be on staff when one of Painter's assistants steps up to get their own HC job some where. Painter has done a great job developing his assistants and allowing them to spread their coaching wings AND it usually ends up with them being successful. Smith left Clinton Prairie and is now the HC at Anderson. I am assuming he will be there for 2-3 more years before getting a solid look by Painter to be on his staff. What other coaches in the area have said about Smith is that his ability to coach raw fundamentals and shooting is probably his best asset as a coach and that fit directly in to what Painter wants with his assistants.

As for Davis, he is probably going to end up playing 5-10 years overseas and build up a decent bank account for himself while there. When he returns, it'll be similar to what Kenny Lowe has done. Will be a video coordinator and help out in practices when needed and will end up moving up when the time is right. I think Lowe has done an excellent job with his job and is able to put film and other pieces together because he is a former player. I think some of the resurgence in the program is in thanks to Lowe and I think Painter has mentioned his ability to put great things together for the team to look at before.
FWIW...Ryne's dad was a coach as well and so he has a long exposure. That said, I have a brother-in-law that coached many years ago thought he did a pretty good job at Prairie as well..

[QUOTE="

As for Davis, he is probably going to end up playing 5-10 years overseas and build up a decent bank account for himself while there. When he returns, it'll be similar to what Kenny Lowe has done. Will be a video coordinator and help out in practices when needed and will end up moving up when the time is right. I think Lowe has done an excellent job with his job and is able to put film and other pieces together because he is a former player. I think some of the resurgence in the program is in thanks to Lowe and I think Painter has mentioned his ability to put great things together for the team to look at before.[/QUOTE]

Also, pretty sure there was a recent interview (Fort Wayne News Sent?) in which Ray said among other things, one of his goals after graduation is to open up a barber shop (I think with his brother, IIRC).

What could be some catchy names for his barber shop? ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT