ADVERTISEMENT

CMU pounds tOSU...

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
11th seeded CMU pounded Ohio State last night in the women's NCAA tournament, 95-78. Our Purdue team started off the season by beating CMU by 10 on Central's home court. (Why is it that tOSU predictably does poorly in the post-season?) Kelsey Mitchell's career is done. I, for one, found her hard to stomach.

I remember the ridicule of our team on this board when we lost to Ball State earlier this year (to be redeemed last Sunday). MAC teams are not to be laughed at.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw that and remembered our victory over CMU. Looking at the Men's NCAA it is no surprise what happens in any given game. Remember mighty UConn lost last year. In sports the goal is to have a competitive team. Too many fans have to have their teams win all the time or a lot to be happy. That is not a very fun way to go. I know there has been angst about the Purdue WBB team and Versyp and I am sure it will continue but it seems to be that we should be decently competitive in the BT next year and go to the Dance. Realistically, I think that is where we are at along with the great majority of WBB programs. Only a very, very few seem to stay on top. Maryland is now off their pedestal and OSU, losing Mitchell, may well come back into the pack. So who knows where our lady Boilers will be next year.
Those who live in the past and hark back to 18 years ago I think are setting up a bad time for themselves. If our AD decided to find and spend the big money on a new coach then that is his right and wisdom, but it does not seem that is likely and that Versyp will remain until and unless our program falls off the board. Compared to other BT teams it has not and has another 20 win season. That is just flat our reality.

11th seeded CMU pounded Ohio State last night in the women's NCAA tournament, 95-78. Our Purdue team started off the season by beating CMU by 10 on Central's home court. (Why is it that tOSU predictably does poorly in the post-season?) Kelsey Mitchell's career is done. I, for one, found her hard to stomach.

I remember the ridicule of our team on this board when we lost to Ball State earlier this year (to be redeemed last Sunday). MAC teams are not to be laughed at.

MAC teams are a no-win proposition for us so they should probably not be scheduled to the degree that they are. Wouldn't hurt us much to go lose a game at DePaul and we don't get much mileage out of winning at Central Michigan even if they are a good team. Nobody is willing to give them the credit for being a good team until they win in the NCAA tournament anyway. On the flip side, losing games to MAC teams hurts us in terms of the NCAA tournament. Would love to see more non-conference games against high-major opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT