ADVERTISEMENT

Chazmyn Turner news

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Just reached Purdue commitment Chazmyn Turner and there's news here.

We were correct in telling you that the defensive end did not visit West Virginia this past weekend. We were incorrect in assuming that meant he was absolutely sticking with Purdue.

Turner said tonight he will decide "sometime tomorrow afternoon," as in Tuesday, whether he'll be signing with Purdue - the school he committed to in December - or West Virginia, even though he's not visited Morgantown.

One would think a player wouldn't flat-out sign with a school he's not even seen, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

I can not verify where West Virginia is in all this in terms of its willingness/ability to take him if he wants to come.

Turner said Virginia Tech did also offer him but he didn't visit there either.

"It will be Purdue or West Virginia," Turner said.

I should add, I suppose, that our conversation started with me asking if he was solid with Purdue and him replying "I'm thinking so." It was me claryfing that part that sent him down the "maybe West Virginia" road. Figured that beared noting.

Anyway, here is what Turner said about both schools:

Purdue: "There wasn't anything I didn't like. I liked everything when I was down there. Everything seemed really close. You didn't have to go a very long distance just to go to a class. I got along with the players and the coaches treated me really well when I was there. I was liking what they were talking about too. I wouldn't say there was any one major thing that stood out. I liked everything."

West Virginia: "They told me they think I could play early. They just got a new D-line coach and that might make it easier for me to play earlier because it's not going to be the same person. ... They talked about their league being more of a passing league and as a defensive end, I feel like I'm more of a pass-rushing end."

(Note: Turner did admit that fact he's not visited Morgantown, "is the thing that would really hold me back, not having been there, because you can only hear so much and not actually being able to get a good feel for yourself.")

What it will come down to: "Whichever one I feel like would be the best opportunity for me, football-wise and education-wise."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.