ADVERTISEMENT

CB Malachi "Max" Melton Commits

What is amazing is both of his parents played at Rutgers and his brother is a current WR in their team. That is how to sell our university to a recruit with such a strong Rutgers influence.
You should know a little back history on what's going on at Rutgers. HC Chris Ash has come in and alienated the local talent, HS coaches, and fanbase. Ash is entering his 4th season at Rutgers and he has yet to get a commitment or sign a top 20 NJ player. Even at its worse Rutgers would get at least 2 or 3 top 20 players just because it's local. Ash won't even extend offers to top kids just for perception reasons. Ash keeps saying he is going to do it the way he did it at Ohio State. Well, Rutgers isn't OSU. Melton's brother is the only legacy player to sign with Ash since he's been the HC. That' is 1 for 8.

Ash has pushed local HS coaches out the door. In the past, former head coaches, Terry Shea, Doug Graber, Greg Schiano, and Kyle Flood all had an open door policy for HS coaches (and players) to visit practices or the Hale (football) Center with little notice. Ash now request they notify him at least two weeks in advance and limits HS coaches and players to which practice they can see and how long. There is no connection to the program anymore. When it comes to the fanbase, where should I start? The fanbase no longer gets to see one open practice of fall camp. That has been a staple at Rutgers since HC Frank Burns started the policy back in 1973. In an interview, Ash said the 150th anniversary of college football is not a selling point with recruits, and it's not essential to him. Newsflash, Rutgers and Princeton played the first college football game back in 1869, so it is important to Rutgers.

Ash has the lowest winning percentage in Rutgers history. A lot of the problems are self-inflicted. Rutgers hired a President (from U. of Penn-Ivy League) who is excellent when it comes to academics, but clueless to how important sports are in a major conference plays a role in the growth of the university. The president hired an AD (Seton Hall) who has no clue of dealing with football. The AD hired Ash through a phone interview.

You should know a little back history on what's going on at Rutgers. HC Chris Ash has come in and alienated the local talent, HS coaches, and fanbase. Ash is entering his 4th season at Rutgers and he has yet to get a commitment or sign a top 20 NJ player. Even at its worse Rutgers would get at least 2 or 3 top 20 players just because it's local. Ash won't even extend offers to top kids just for perception reasons. Ash keeps saying he is going to do it the way he did it at Ohio State. Well, Rutgers isn't OSU. Melton's brother is the only legacy player to sign with Ash since he's been the HC. That' is 1 for 8.

Ash has pushed local HS coaches out the door. In the past, former head coaches, Terry Shea, Doug Graber, Greg Schiano, and Kyle Flood all had an open door policy for HS coaches (and players) to visit practices or the Hale (football) Center with little notice. Ash now request they notify him at least two weeks in advance and limits HS coaches and players to which practice they can see and how long. There is no connection to the program anymore. When it comes to the fanbase, where should I start? The fanbase no longer gets to see one open practice of fall camp. That has been a staple at Rutgers since HC Frank Burns started the policy back in 1973. In an interview, Ash said the 150th anniversary of college football is not a selling point with recruits, and it's not essential to him. Newsflash, Rutgers and Princeton played the first college football game back in 1869, so it is important to Rutgers.

Ash has the lowest winning percentage in Rutgers history. A lot of the problems are self-inflicted. Rutgers hired a President (from U. of Penn-Ivy League) who is excellent when it comes to academics, but clueless to how important sports are in a major conference plays a role in the growth of the university. The president hired an AD (Seton Hall) who has no clue of dealing with football. The AD hired Ash through a phone interview.
Thanks for the history. We went through that same thing during the Hazell coaching era, which ironically was a OSU coach too, so we know what you guys are going through.

Do you have any insight into why Dutta resigned after one year as chancellor?

Yeah, 7-29 (3-24) is in D-Haze bad territory. Ash seems to be getting worse over time, too. I think he gets canned during ot after this season, his fourth.

Reactions: Bippus33
Yeah, 7-29 (3-24) is in D-Haze bad territory. Ash seems to be getting worse over time, too. I think he gets canned during ot after this season, his fourth.
The AD seem to lash out at anyone who utters the words "fire Ash". The AD tweeted Dodd of cbssports.com to take his coach off the the hotseat list. The AD gave Ash an extension of two years. Ash new deal is now 7 years long. Rutgers now owes Ash 10 million plus for a 7-29 record. Here's the kicker, Chip Kelley and Dan Mullen contacted Rutgers for an interview. AD Hobbs passed on them because of the recommendation from Urban Meyer and Barry Alverez. The local media went crazy because AD Hobbs wouldn't even consider other candidates for the job. Hobbs admitted he only interviewed Ash over the phone and knew right away he was the guy. Hobbs hired Ash in early December but didn't meet him (first time) until mid- January after OSU bowl game. Instead Hobbs left several members of the old staff in charge of recruiting. When Ash arrived, he quickly fired the old staff and several recruits de-committed within an hour of the announcement. Again, the media went crazy about the look back of planning and oversight of the program.

Greg Schiano built the program up to a respectable level and Kyle Flood knew not the fix it if it ain't broke. Flood screwed himself by meeting with a professor on the Proncton campus to discuss a player's grade. It cost him his job and Ash's agent used that against Rutgers while negotiating an extension. Rutgers is a clean program and an incident like that scares them. Btw, people wanted Flood gone, now regret it. Flood went on to be an assistant coach for the Atlanta Falcons and now is the line coach for Alabama.

Reactions: SKYDOG
The AD seem to lash out at anyone who utters the words "fire Ash". The AD tweeted Dodd of cbssports.com to take his coach off the the hotseat list. The AD gave Ash an extension of two years. Ash new deal is now 7 years long. Rutgers now owes Ash 10 million plus for a 7-29 record. Here's the kicker, Chip Kelley and Dan Mullen contacted Rutgers for an interview. AD Hobbs passed on them because of the recommendation from Urban Meyer and Barry Alverez. The local media went crazy because AD Hobbs wouldn't even consider other candidates for the job. Hobbs admitted he only interviewed Ash over the phone and knew right away he was the guy. Hobbs hired Ash in early December but didn't meet him (first time) until mid- January after OSU bowl game. Instead Hobbs left several members of the old staff in charge of recruiting. When Ash arrived, he quickly fired the old staff and several recruits de-committed within an hour of the announcement. Again, the media went crazy about the look back of planning and oversight of the program.

Greg Schiano built the program up to a respectable level and Kyle Flood knew not the fix it if it ain't broke. Flood screwed himself by meeting with a professor on the Proncton campus to discuss a player's grade. It cost him his job and Ash's agent used that against Rutgers while negotiating an extension. Rutgers is a clean program and an incident like that scares them. Btw, people wanted Flood gone, now regret it. Flood went on to be an assistant coach for the Atlanta Falcons and now is the line coach for Alabama.

Hired him based on the recommendation of the current OSU coach (Meyer) and a respected mind in the business (Alavarez)....it is Hazzel part 2.

Who would you like to get if Ash is fired...any coaches you like?

Reactions: ChuckJr

Flood did a pretty good, albeit inconsistent job for the Scarlet Knights. He was light years better than Ash.

Hired him based on the recommendation of the current OSU coach (Meyer) and a respected mind in the business (Alavarez)....it is Hazzel part 2.

Who would you like to get if Ash is fired...any coaches you like?
For as bad as Rutgers is right now, it does have some appeal due to location, conference affiliation, recruiting area, and what it can be if Rutgers can reach the same level of success in the mid 2000s. The media in both NYC and Philly love a winner.

I'm not sure who Rutgers should go after but they have spend money to get a quality coach. The B1G money is about to kick it and Rutgers athletics is raising record money. Enough to built a new practice facility for basketball, wrestling, and gymnastics. The lacrosse and soccer facility is being rebuilt along with a new academic center for all sports. Football's new locker room opens this month and the campaign has started to raise money for a new indoor practice facility for football only. The previous president had a master plan to upgrade the entire campus. So you can see Rutgers has committed to investing in sports upgrades, but the hope is the current leaders don't screw it up.

For as bad as Rutgers is right now, it does have some appeal due to location, conference affiliation, recruiting area, and what it can be if Rutgers can reach the same level of success in the mid 2000s. The media in both NYC and Philly love a winner.

I'm not sure who Rutgers should go after but they have spend money to get a quality coach. The B1G money is about to kick it and Rutgers athletics is raising record money. Enough to built a new practice facility for basketball, wrestling, and gymnastics. The lacrosse and soccer facility is being rebuilt along with a new academic center for all sports. Football's new locker room opens this month and the campaign has started to raise money for a new indoor practice facility for football only. The previous president had a master plan to upgrade the entire campus. So you can see Rutgers has committed to investing in sports upgrades, but the hope is the current leaders don't screw it up.

Thanks for the feedback.

I wasn’t trying to start anything (like a bs post asking “Who in their mind would want to coach Rutgers”) but just curios who you/Rutgers fan base liked/wanted.

Hope it didn’t come across that way.

I do know when Purdue fires Hazell, Brohms name wasn’t thrown around much by posters until they very end.

We though we getting Skip Holtz at one point

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Flood did a pretty good, albeit inconsistent job for the Scarlet Knights. He was light years better than Ash.
I don't think Flood was a qualified HC, but he did have solid people skills which worked to his advantage. He convinced Ralph Friedgen to come out of retirement and be his OC. Flood won the Big East and went to 3 bowl games in 4 years.

Thanks for the feedback.

I wasn’t trying to start anything (like a bs post asking “Who in their mind would want to coach Rutgers”) but just curios who you/Rutgers fan base liked/wanted.

Hope it didn’t come across that way.

I do know when Purdue fires Hazell, Brohms name wasn’t thrown around much by posters until they very end.

We though we getting Skip Holtz at one point
I enjoy talking with fans of other teams. I like learning about other programs and how it compares to my team. Btw, my screen name doesn't connect to Rutgers, but I am 100% a Rutgers fan. My screen name is based off a nickname given to me by my teammates at Rutgers after I transferred from Colorado. Also, Melton's father was my teammate at Rutgers.

At one time there were signs all around the stadium that said "Ash is trash" but soon after you couldn't bring any signs into the stadium.
Aaaand that's when you bring out the "two tons of fun" women with body paint spelling it out and scream "body shaming" to the media if anybody squawks about it.

Rutgers is on my list to visit, I've hit all the BT stadiums but the two newbies and am now on my second round (seeing Purdue win at all BT venues) which still leaves me the newbies, the Horseshoe and the new Minny stadium.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Aaaand that's when you bring out the "two tons of fun" women with body paint spelling it out and scream "body shaming" to the media if anybody squawks about it.

Rutgers is on my list to visit, I've hit all the BT stadiums but the two newbies and am now on my second round (seeing Purdue win at all BT venues) which still leaves me the newbies, the Horseshoe and the new Minny stadium.
But for Kenny Guiton, id have seen a win in the shoe.

Reactions: Bullwhip Griffith
At one time there were signs all around the stadium that said "Ash is trash" but soon after you couldn't bring any signs into the stadium.

I rode my bicycle all over boulder for a weekend trip. Saw the stadium. Loved the town/campus.

I feel like I owe you a beer, in regards to Purdue recent history/experience.

What are your thoughts on Max as a football player?

I rode my bicycle all over boulder for a weekend trip. Saw the stadium. Loved the town/campus.

I feel like I owe you a beer, in regards to Purdue recent history/experience.

What are your thoughts on Max as a football player?
The settling for the U. of Colorado is unmatched. Love the sunset just behind the flatirons (mountains) to the west of the stadium. It's a postcard setting.

Melton reminds me a lot like his father. He has game speed that can't be measured in the 40. I love this kid from a pure football view. Melton can play both sides of the ball. His football IQ is high and combine that with his athletic ability, it's scary. I think Melton was underrecruited because everyone assumed he was going to Rutgers. His dad played for Rutgers. His mother was a guard on the basketball team at Rutgers, and his older brother is a starter for Rutgers football. He's going to surprise a lot of people. He has a chip on his shoulder and loves a challenge.

Last edited:
The settling for the U. of Colorado is unmatched. Love the sunset just behind the flatirons (mountains) to the west of the stadium. It's a postcard setting.

Melton reminds me a lot like his father. He has game speed that can't be measured in the 40. I love this kid from a pure football view. Melton can play both sides of the ball. His football IQ is high and combine that with his athletic ability, it's scary. I think Melton was underrecruited because everyone assumed he was going to Rutgers. His dad played for Rutgers. His mother was a guard on the basketball team at Rutgers, and his older brother is a starter for Rutgers football. He's going to surprise a lot of people. He has a chip on his shoulder and loves a challenge.

Not sure how old you are, but I was a fan of U of CO back in the 80's when I was a high school kid in Ohio. Eric Bieniemy was one of my favorite college RB's in the 80's after, Bo, Barry, Keith Byers and Herschel.

Of course I went to college at Purdue and my favorite College RB now is Mike Alstott. But I spent 4 years watching him live with him being the only thing worth rooting for, lol.

Anyways thanks for coming on here and giving us perspective.

Was also there in 2003. Damn im bad luck.
was 2003 the end of the game "blocked kick" in the rain that was actually a Dorsch line drive drilled into the back of the O-lineman? Cuz I was there. And thus began my love of kickers. :p

was 2003 the end of the game "blocked kick" in the rain that was actually a Dorsch line drive drilled into the back of the O-lineman? Cuz I was there. And thus began my love of kickers. :p
Ben Jones

Ben Jones
And all these years I've been blaming Travis. :( We were on the way to the 2012 game when the truck broke down. Watched most of it at a truck stop lounge, decided didn't want to risk the U joint going out again so headed back to Indy. As we were driving back listening, I was seriously looking for places to stash my friends body should we have won and we'd missed it in person.

Say what you will about Danny Hope, the guy had OSU's number. Only Purdue coach in the last 50 years to have a 50% winning percentage against them. That should have been 75%.

And all these years I've been blaming Travis. :( We were on the way to the 2012 game when the truck broke down. Watched most of it at a truck stop lounge, decided didn't want to risk the U joint going out again so headed back to Indy. As we were driving back listening, I was seriously looking for places to stash my friends body should we have won and we'd missed it in person.

Say what you will about Danny Hope, the guy had OSU's number. Only Purdue coach in the last 50 years to have a 50% winning percentage against them. That should have been 75%.

Sad to say that loss may have been Hopes best coached game/game plan.

Best defender out (Ricardo Allen), TerBush gets picked in red zone, and we miss a PAT. Still almost won it.

How the throw back pass to the RB worked so much that year is beyond me

Not sure how old you are, but I was a fan of U of CO back in the 80's when I was a high school kid in Ohio. Eric Bieniemy was one of my favorite college RB's in the 80's after, Bo, Barry, Keith Byers and Herschel.

Of course I went to college at Purdue and my favorite College RB now is Mike Alstott. But I spent 4 years watching him live with him being the only thing worth rooting for, lol.

Anyways thanks for coming on here and giving us perspective.
EB was my teammate. He was a year ahead of me. I was a freshman when Barry Sanders won the Heisman trophy. I was in for a few plays, but never tackled him. Oklahoma State WR Hart Lee Dykes talked a lot sh*t to me. He told me he could smell that I was a rookie and I should get my *as off the field so I don't embarrass myself.

I had a cousin (Lee Larkins) play for Purdue (mid 70s) and my next door neighbor (Derrick Taylor) in the early 80s. Derrick's older brother use to be the lead singer (James "JT" Taylor) for Kool in the Gang.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee3370
Sad to say that loss may have been Hopes best coached game/game plan.

Best defender out (Ricardo Allen), TerBush gets picked in red zone, and we miss a PAT. Still almost won it.

How the throw back pass to the RB worked so much that year is beyond me

Hope had Braxton miller’s Number and knew he was soft. They beat the shit out of him that day. If he doesn’t get hurt, Purdue wins that game.

Talking about 2003 memory is shot. Lol!
You and me both. But Travis left such an indelible imprint in our brains he probably deserves it :)

Then again, he did win the Michigan game the RB year.
On the second try.
And he did keep our bowl streak alive with the "Minny Miracle".

Reactions: SKYDOG
EB was my teammate. He was a year ahead of me. I was a freshman when Barry Sanders won the Heisman trophy. I was in for a few plays, but never tackled him. Oklahoma State WR Hart Lee Dykes talked a lot sh*t to me. He told me he could smell that I was a rookie and I should get my *as off the field so I don't embarrass myself.

I had a cousin (Lee Larkins) play for Purdue (mid 70s) and my next door neighbor (Derrick Taylor) in the early 80s. Derrick's older brother use to be the lead singer (James "JT" Taylor) for Kool in the Gang.

I have seen Kool and the Gang live twice, once was Mardi Gras in the 90s. They are fantastic, dont remember the Mardi Gras concert as well for some reason, lmao.

Don't feel bad about not tackling Barry Sanders, there are players who played multiple games against him and never tackled him. Greatest college season ever for any position was Barry's Jr year. His numbers are insane, add in a 200+ yard bowl game with I think 3 or 4 TD's like they do today, and even more insane, something like 3,000 yards almost and around 40TDs. You cant do that crap on video games much less division 1 FB.

Were you fan of EB? I remember his thighs were something like 36 inches and his waist was 34. Incredible. Built perfect for the position, still shocked he wasn't a stud in the NFL. I love when players talk crap, to me its a fun part of the game, I remember Hart Lee Dykes. He had a slightly better pro career than I did, and I didn't even play college, ball, lol

I had a friend at Purdue who knew Derrick. He said he was pretty straight laced considering his brother was a rock star. Said he never saw him party much

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT