ADVERTISEMENT

Carsen

Mandeville LA

Junior
Nov 11, 2015
From what I have seen Carsen Edwards is the real deal. I know, I know he has not played a real game yet at the D1 level yet.

The kid has a shot that is smoth and under control no matter what position his body is in. Is big and strong enough to get into people if needed and appears to be lighting quick with some of his moves.

We will see as time goes on what he ends up being at Purdue but I have seen enough to be convinced he is a player.

First post since March. I guess I am a sore loser.

I am very excited to see what kind of a player he turns in to. From the sounds of things, he is already putting to rest the "bad press" in terms of Painter and letting guards play and/or being able to get good ones.

This is also an example of why I put little faith in the star system. Sure it is correct like in terms of players like biggie, but it also seems to under rate players like both Edward's really.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Carsen is the real deal. I have watched him play many times so his success in Spain is no surprise to me.

Painter got a great one in Carsen and deserves some huge kudos for landing this kid. However, he has to also do something with him because I predict Carsen won't be here for 4 years.

Carsen is the real deal. I have watched him play many times so his success in Spain is no surprise to me.

Painter got a great one in Carsen and deserves some huge kudos for landing this kid. However, he has to also do something with him because I predict Carsen won't be here for 4 years.

If wish I could bet someone every time they predict a Purdue basketball player will leave early for the pros. I'd have made some money over the past decade. I hope Carsen is that good (I actually HOPE they all are) but it is extremely unlikely.

I saw what his HS coach said about him, the fact that he thought CE could score 50 every game in HS if he wanted to.

In one of his last few games he did score 50. Made me think there could have been some truth it. Anyway, right now he seems to be a high volume shooter. Not sure how that will play with Painter.

My point being every once in a while you got to let a player be himself as long is he is not hurting the team. I don't want Painter to scare him to the point he loses his aggressive nature.

If wish I could bet someone every time they predict a Purdue basketball player will leave early for the pros. I'd have made some money over the past decade. I hope Carsen is that good (I actually HOPE they all are) but it is extremely unlikely.
While I agree it is unlikely, I truly think in his case it has a good chance of a reality. He really has that kind of potential. I think he's a three year player however.

I saw what his HS coach said about him, the fact that he thought CE could score 50 every game in HS if he wanted to.

In one of his last few games he did score 50. Made me think there could have been some truth it. Anyway, right now he seems to be a high volume shooter. Not sure how that will play with Painter.

My point being every once in a while you got to let a player be himself as long is he is not hurting the team. I don't want Painter to scare him to the point he loses his aggressive nature.
A high volume scorer is exactly what Painter had in E'Twaun Moore. Painter let Moore go to a large extent, but he also spent 3 years trying to teach E'Twaun not to force his offense. It worked out very well because E'Twaun was willing to take instruction.

Reactions: tjreese
Carsen being teachable and having the smarts to understand what the coaches are telling him are the least of my conserns.

Another reason I believe he has the potential to be a great player at Purdue. Losing him to the league is not much of a consern. 6 foot guards have to exceptional to even get a look early.

Reactions: tjreese
Carsen being teachable and having the smarts to understand what the coaches are telling him are the least of my conserns.

Another reason I believe he has the potential to be a great player at Purdue. Losing him to the league is not much of a consern. 6 foot guards have to exceptional to even get a look early.
Yogi Ferrell agrees.

In retrospect after seeing Scott's game and seeing what CE can do. It's apples and oranges. CE is better at everything. He gets to the rim using moves and entelgence. And his shot is silky smoth. No comparison in my opinion.

A high volume scorer is exactly what Painter had in E'Twaun Moore. Painter let Moore go to a large extent, but he also spent 3 years trying to teach E'Twaun not to force his offense. It worked out very well because E'Twaun was willing to take instruction.
one of the things I noticed in a video before he committed was his "yes sir, no sir" comments. He impressed me as one to be respectful and listen. If true, he will listen, improve his skill level, contribute even more to the team other than shooting and improve. It appeared that he had some discipline in his background all leading me to think he will learn, adjust as needed and be a good player down the road. I was going to post what appeared to be an ability to take instruction, but you beat me to it! :) not the video I was searching, but

Last edited:
I am very excited to see what kind of a player he turns in to. From the sounds of things, he is already putting to rest the "bad press" in terms of Painter and letting guards play and/or being able to get good ones.

This is also an example of why I put little faith in the star system. Sure it is correct like in terms of players like biggie, but it also seems to under rate players like both Edward's really.
you think VE should have been a rivals 4 star, and CE a 5 star?

also if moore was a 4 year player, i'd anticipate CE being one also. not bad if he isn't though(!)

I, and a few others, followed Carsen's play last year............knew PU got a good one. Nothing surprising here. BTFU!!!

I, and a few others, followed Carsen's play last year............knew PU got a good one. Nothing surprising here. BTFU!!!
For what it's worth (maybe not much) my wife Kathy is traveling with the team in Spain. She has gotten to know most of the players, some better than others. In her interactions with Carsen she said he is polite and looks you in the eye. He is not the outgoing, funny type like Basil, but Kathy is a very good judge of character and she believes him to be sincere and a quality person.

In retrospect after seeing Scott's game and seeing what CE can do. It's apples and oranges. CE is better at everything. He gets to the rim using moves and entelgence. And his shot is silky smoth. No comparison in my opinion.
I just watched the second game and I whole-heartedly agree. He looks way ahead of schedule to me. The ball doesn't stick to his hands and he's decisive. Everything he does is with a purpose. He does need to clean up some mistakes, but considering that his freshman season hasn't started yet, I'm really excited about this young man.

I know that the quality of competition wasn't the best this game, but I was really happy with Purdue's guard play over all. PJ, Mathias, and Cline all look sharp. Spike didn't do anything spectacular, but he's steady and reliable. I think that Purdue may surprise a lot of people with its guard play this season.

Reactions: punaj
For what it's worth (maybe not much) my wife Kathy is traveling with the team in Spain. She has gotten to know most of the players, some better than others. In her interactions with Carsen she said he is polite and looks you in the eye. He is not the outgoing, funny type like Basil, but Kathy is a very good judge of character and she believes him to be sincere and a quality person.

She has to be a good judge of character...I mean she picked you! :) Seriously, that was my impression before he committed to Purdue as well. Good to know!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT