ADVERTISEMENT

Carsen Edwards

I think that might be the last game of an undefeated regular season for his team. I looked a couple days ago & there was just 1 game left. Do they have the same kind of sectional/regional/etc. progressions toward the state title in Texas? I assume so.

Kudos to Carsen for all of the many high school achievements, and hopefully some more to come! Can't wait to see you wearing the Old Gold & Black.

Reactions: nagemj02
He scored 7 of them in the first quarter more than a few were from beyond NBA range . He has led his team to a # 1 national ranking an undefeated regular season without being a ball hog and playing the team game . Usually if a player scores 50 you think he was hunting shots go to Texanlive.com and watch the replay . His shots were just in the flow of the game . Think about it he missed 2 shots . I tweeted a link from maxpreps with the blow by blow if you don't wish to watch the game . A side note Malik Williams scored 45 with 13 rebounds and 7 blocked shots he had I think 8 threes . Imagine these two together .

This is great to hear! Kudos to CMP for getting this guy! He is one of the reasons I actually think we may be "better" next year from a scoring perspective (assuming he can do similar things in college) because we will be more balanced and the pressure will be taken off the front court to do it all.

Just my armchair approach however .. I could be all wet ;)

Although this makes me wonder, I know he was a "need" for 2016 but seems like to me that there is a transition going on from our current offensive scheme to a different approach. Carsen is a huge scoring threat (or should be) and along with Vince and Cline/Dakota/Stephens ... just seems like there are slow adjustments being made. Defense is still king here sure, but still .. it makes me wonder.

He scored 7 of them in the first quarter more than a few were from beyond NBA range . He has led his team to a # 1 national ranking an undefeated regular season without being a ball hog and playing the team game . Usually if a player scores 50 you think he was hunting shots go to Texanlive.com and watch the replay . His shots were just in the flow of the game . Think about it he missed 2 shots . I tweeted a link from maxpreps with the blow by blow if you don't wish to watch the game . A side note Malik Williams scored 45 with 13 rebounds and 7 blocked shots he had I think 8 threes . Imagine these two together .
I think I remember his HS coach stating that Carsen could score 50 on any given night if he needed to. If in deed this was his last regular season HS game, do you think there is a chance his teammates told him to go out and show what he can do? Not going to have time to watch the game. Anyway, over the years I have learned to hold out judgment of HS kids until they play B10 basketball. Anyone that can score 50 in a game is a special talent. Last time a saw a HS kid score 50 in a game was Troy Lewis back when he played for Anderson HS. He turned out ok.

That's definitely a promising sign (along with being undefeated and considered one of the top high school teams in the country) for him to, at the least, translate decently to DI ball as a Boilermaker. What are some opinions on his passing skills and overall handles?

That's definitely a promising sign (along with being undefeated and considered one of the top high school teams in the country) for him to, at the least, translate decently to DI ball as a Boilermaker. What are some opinions on his passing skills and overall handles?
He is good all around and can be a lock down defender. In my mind that is what sets him a part from a lot of kids. Good handles, great shooter, good scorer, good to great D. If he was 3 inches taller he would be a top 25 kid.

He is good all around and can be a lock down defender. In my mind that is what sets him a part from a lot of kids. Good handles, great shooter, good scorer, good to great D. If he was 3 inches taller he would be a top 25 kid.
+1
I had made the point earlier this year that if Carsen was 6'3 or 6'4 he would have been singed by one of the blue bloods last year or earlier. Some took that the wrong way, but it's meant as a compliment. I like what I see and can't wait for him to be wearing a PU uniform!

+1
I had made the point earlier this year that if Carsen was 6'3 or 6'4 he would have been singed by one of the blue bloods last year or earlier. Some took that the wrong way, but it's meant as a compliment. I like what I see and can't wait for him to be wearing a PU uniform!
Just went back and did a little research and it makes me wonder how much he has improved over the last few years. In the 2013-2014 season there were a few articles talking about him and his play in some of the big AAU tournaments. Was called the best true PG by many with vision and BB IQ out of the roof. I saw one guy saying his shooting needed to improve a lot to get to D1. Now he is known as an assassin when it comes to shooting. I think a lot of schools missed on him, but I know he sounds like our type of player. Even if he cannot shoot over people there is going to have to be a defensive player in his face. This will open up the O next year if he proves his skills translate.

seems like to me that there is a transition going on from our current offensive scheme to a different approach. Carsen is a huge scoring threat (or should be) and along with Vince and Cline/Dakota/Stephens ... just seems like there are slow adjustments being made. Defense is still king here sure, but still .. it makes me wonder.
i also think this team will evolve next year into a more offense oriented team. You lose AJ & RD and it follows that offense is going to rise in importance. Can't abandon Defense but the approach will change.

I would add that in the parts of his games I've watched on line, he is close to an ambidextrous ball handler...can go left or right without hesitation and lay it up accurately and in rhythm left-handed when appropriate. Unlike some prior PGs (one of whom is now playing in CE's state), there will be no "book" on him that you can take away one direction and make him ineffective.

Reactions: mathboy
i also think this team will evolve next year into a more offense oriented team. You lose AJ & RD and it follows that offense is going to rise in importance. Can't abandon Defense but the approach will change.
Good point. Makes you wonder if all the rule changes that happened that make it more of an offense oriented game, aren't contributing to this as well.

Good point. Makes you wonder if all the rule changes that happened that make it more of an offense oriented game, aren't contributing to this as well.
you know damn well it is! Hate seeing all players and teams looking the same

Reactions: BBG
I don't think CMP's approach will ever change. He's been a defense first coach since he got here. Will we be better offensively? Maybe, hard to say how we will be without AJ. I'm guessing we will play smaller more often and we definitely won't be as good defensively. But if you can't play defense, CMP will sit you.

I don't think CMP's approach will ever change. He's been a defense first coach since he got here. Will we be better offensively? Maybe, hard to say how we will be without AJ. I'm guessing we will play smaller more often and we definitely won't be as good defensively. But if you can't play defense, CMP will sit you.
Any good coach will demand defense and rebounding, but the rule changes do in fact make a Carsen Edwards more popular today than years ago

Disagree that CMP won't change. This season? No its too late. But going forward he is smart enough to change some things imo. We will see going forward i guess

Can he pull up for a mid-range jump shot? No one on our current team can and it appears it isn't taught, even thought the coach laments not having one.

Can he pull up for a mid-range jump shot? No one on our current team can and it appears it isn't taught, even thought the coach laments not having one.
in a few of the videos...against high school competition he can. I think he will bring that aspect to the game that is missing in so many players today.

Uhhh, Swanigan can't play defense, and he plays a ton...

Last edited:
Reactions: cprh9u
Agreed, and just about every post from Magi looks like the one above. Guessing he/she is 12 or 13 and feels big by telling others to shut up and calling them a "doofus".
I give what you no-nut dweebs can handle. It's evident by your clueless posts that you aren't bright enough to handle anything more. And that is pretty much a fact. You whine and rant like a little girl and going back to last season, have been proven wrong on just about every thing you posted. First last season you cried that Purdue wouldn't make the tourney, then in the off season you whined that Painter can't land a 5 star recruit, then you whined that Purdue can't beat a top 10 team. All were proven false. You're a joke and trust me, mocked quite heavily on other forums as the head twitt of the kindergartners here.

Well this certainly took a quick turn for the worse. I think this thread alone is a snapshot of what this board has really become. A poster begins a thread alerting other fans to a recruits great night and is subsequently taken over by a bunch of men who feel the need to act like teenage girls when they find out their friend likes the boy they like as well.

Grow up a bit and realize that these boards are here to create debate. If you can't do it in a civil manner, you are better off just leaving behidn your keyboard warrior persona because you aren't proving anything to anyone. If you need to pound your chest that much to make yourself feel better, you could go to the local YMCA and play a pick up game against some 4th graders. It would probably do just about the same for most of your egos.

Reactions: BoilerFan#35
Thats the best you have? I ran in to your mom last night at dinner, she was so emabarassed by your very existantce that she told me that you were one load she should of swallowed. She doesn't really love you or your father and wishes she never married that taint with sideburns.
You need to be banned from tis board. Stop this crap now.

You need to be banned from tis board. Stop this crap now.
I will take the blame. I should not have kicked the ant hill. He might have gotten board by now and moved on. Done provoking fights with people like this.

Back to Carsen. I think the kid has a chance to be really good for us. We know he has great skills but from what I understand is a great student and very bright. Good combo for a PG

I will take the blame. I should not have kicked the ant hill. He might have gotten board by now and moved on. Done provoking fights with people like this.

Back to Carsen. I think the kid has a chance to be really good for us. We know he has great skills but from what I understand is a great student and very bright. Good combo for a PG
Carsen I think is the key for us to be very a very balanced team in a couple years. I don't expect him to come in and save us next season .. would be magical if he could .. but have to be realistic. His sophmore season he could be running the show with quite a bit of experience and talent around him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT