ADVERTISEMENT

Can't wait for spring football to see the difference this recruiting class makes

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
It will take another year or so I suspect for Coach Walters to get his players and start to develop depth at each position but all indications are he is willing and able to thin down existing rosters and acquire better replacement talent.

As demonstrated by our little brother down South, having the talent is only half the battle, still need to develop it into a winning culture that produces results on the field. However, all that starts with good talent coming through the door and to that point, Coach is off to a good start.

Harrell will need to be canned before you see any offensive improvement.
It's obvious that you need to do a little research on the "Air Raid" offense. It takes a lot of repetition to make it work properly. Between injuries and starting a new quarterback, there was not enough time to get it right. Some may say that if it takes that long then the scheme is too hard to instill. They might be correct, but Mike Leach was able to win with this system everywhere he went. Harrell is a disciple of his. He needs to be given the time to make it work. If he is able to do that, then Purdue fans will be very happy. If he isn't, he will be gone.

It's obvious that you need to do a little research on the "Air Raid" offense. It takes a lot of repetition to make it work properly. Between injuries and starting a new quarterback, there was not enough time to get it right. Some may say that if it takes that long then the scheme is too hard to instill. They might be correct, but Mike Leach was able to win with this system everywhere he went. Harrell is a disciple of his. He needs to be given the time to make it work. If he is able to do that, then Purdue fans will be very happy. If he isn't, he will be gone.
No need to waste your time responding to mklinker. He/she has no original thought but “Harrell Sucks….”
Not going to take a second responding to his/her lazy take.

Reactions: z_one
In the portal era you need schemes, on both sides of the ball, that first year players can jump in and be productive in, including the QB. Lots of coaches bring in new QBs and have success. That’s college football in 2024.

What if Card hits the portal this spring? Does Harrell get another mulligan for 2024, because it takes the new guy “a lot of repetition” to learn the scheme?

In the portal era you need schemes, on both sides of the ball, that first year players can jump in and be productive in, including the QB. Lots of coaches bring in new QBs and have success. That’s college football in 2024.

What if Card hits the portal this spring? Does Harrell get another mulligan for 2024, because it takes the new guy “a lot of repetition” to learn the scheme?
Highly unlikely, but hypothetically say Card transfers in Spring. We are in a better position than last year because Browne and Merideth would have had a year under their belt in this system.

Allen and Amiao were not available to us when Card was injured. This year we have depth with QBs in our system.

As for mulligans, any team would be in bad shape if their starting QB transferred out in Spring.

Highly unlikely, but hypothetically say Card transfers in Spring. We are in a better position than last year because Browne and Merideth would have had a year under their belt in this system.

Allen and Amiao were not available to us when Card was injured. This year we have depth with QBs in our system.

As for mulligans, any team would be in bad shape if their starting QB transferred out in Spring.
Good, then hopefully we’re done with all the excuses for this staff moving forward.

I like Browne, the other guy doesn't have it

Good, then hopefully we’re done with all the excuses for this staff moving forward.
An interesting topic looking ahead. Notre Dame game.

They have a new transfer QB Leonard and a new OC from LSU.

With all things being equal personnel wise, who is the better QB, Card or Leonard?
Card will be year 2 in Harrell’s system while Leonard will be in a new team and new OC and new system. Have not seen enough Duke games to gauge Leonard.

Hopefully Notre Dame and Leonard will not have their kinks worked out when they play Purdue in week 2, while Card will be primed to go in his 2nd year.

With all things being equal personnel wise, who is the better QB, Card or Leonard?
Card will be year 2 in Harrell’s system while Leonard will be in a new team and new OC and new system. Have not seen enough Duke games to gauge Leonard.

Hopefully Notre Dame and Leonard will not have their kinks worked out when they play Purdue in week 2, while Card will be primed to go in his 2nd year.
hard to say, depends on their supporting casts

His play calling was terrible all year except for the Minnesota game. I feel like a different coach was calling plays that game.

His play calling was terrible all year except for the Minnesota game. I feel like a different coach was calling plays that game.
Yeah. It’s pretty cool what Harrell can do when Card is healthy and our line gives our QB protection. Mockabee and Tracy also had a monster game.

hard to say, depends on their supporting casts
I don’t think it’s that hard to say.

Leonard is a sure fire NFL prospect if healthy. Card is 4 years deep into a career and hasn’t beaten anybody or proved anything.

Hopefully the OL and WR excuses go away and Card can focus on being better.

• Haha
Reactions: Bippus33 and z_one

If all things are equal, I believe Card is better. However, they aren't equal. The "Air Raid" properly applied can be an equalizer. We will find out very soon if we are close to doing that against ND.

If you are pointing to Plummer, he was in Brohm's system before and that is precisely why Brohm encouraged him to come there. I wonder how their current quarterbacks would have done in his system? Iowa had UMs former starting quarterback and though they won the west, their offense was terrible. How great was NDs transfer quarterback? Unless the portal is changed, this round robin of players is going to keep teams in a constant state of flux and many will not succeed regardless of scheme. The "air raid" does require more repetition to establish, so it might make it harder for success unless you can grow your own starter from recruiting. For the recruiting classes that ND has put together, I wouldn't call 2023 a successful year.

I don’t think it’s that hard to say.

Leonard is a sure fire NFL prospect if healthy. Card is 4 years deep into a career and hasn’t beaten anybody or proved anything.

Hopefully the OL and WR excuses go away and Card can focus on being better.
I used to live in ACC country. Leonard made Duke's offense tick. They were ranked to the point that overzealous local media were starting to call Duke a "football school." Once he was injured, Duke didn't do nearly as well.

I still think Card is a good QB who did not have a lot of weapons last year.

All good offenses should need repetition to work properly. Using repetition as an excuse for performance is still a coaching issue. If the offense is too challenging then the coach should be making adjustments to improve performance. Working for Mike Leach does
NOT make Harrell A good air raid coach. Harrell's coaching post Mike Leach has not produced exciting numbers or the same level of success. If repetition actually was the issue I can assure to you that chasing essentially the entire WR corps away does not bode well for an improved air raid offense since the new recieving corps has zero snaps in this offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bippus33
No need to waste your time responding to mklinker. He/she has no original thought but “Harrell Sucks….”
Not going to take a second responding to his/her lazy take.
Except you did take time to respond, mis-quote, and insult. I now think that the post calling you Mrs. Harrell is accurate.

Reactions: pboiler18
All good offenses should need repetition to work properly. Using repetition as an excuse for performance is still a coaching issue. If the offense is too challenging then the coach should be making adjustments to improve performance. Working for Mike Leach does
NOT make Harrell A good air raid coach. Harrell's coaching post Mike Leach has not produced exciting numbers or the same level of success. If repetition actually was the issue I can assure to you that chasing essentially the entire WR corps away does not bode well for an improved air raid offense since the new revieving corps has zero snaps in this offense.
Harrell hasn't been given the reins to fully install Leach's program anywhere to date. Not an excuse for performance. If you read about the "Air Raid" offense it takes more repetition. You are correct on the receiving corps, but the one we had was not very good. Upgrades on talent should improve performance but they have to get their reps in. Card's performance will be the key.

Last edited:
Play calling had nothing to do with it. The staff was still gathering data on there players and working the Kinks out.
I'm betting that ND has a bunch of Kinks next year and Purdue will have not so many........ TIC

• Haha
Reactions: Jbigler1986
Play calling had nothing to do with it. The staff was still gathering data on there players and working the Kinks out.
I'm betting that ND has a bunch of Kinks next year and Purdue will have not so many........ TIC
LOL

And you left yourself open to being reported. Have a nice day.
For what? Seems like you have an axe to grind. If you want to join the complainers, go ahead. But don't think the rest of us won't respond in kind because we will. Have a nice day

While I expect more improvement on the D side, the Offense should also be better. I also think coaches will have a season under their belt, which helps as well.

Again, spring will tell us more.

Play calling has nothing to do with it? Can I get some of what you are smoking?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT