ADVERTISEMENT

Can The Big Maple šŸ Edey get us to the Final Four

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
I've titled this on purpose as no matter how good Edey is , without a strong showing from his supporting teammates, he can't. I may be overstating the obvious here.... but I just wonder who is going to bring their A game and "Rise Above"
In the supporting cast. I am not suggesting that haven't been trying , however, outside of Jenkins and Edey , I don't know who is really " in the groove" so to speak. After watching another tremendous lead collapse yesterday and coaching had some impact on it for sure.....I just "don't get that feeling" I had in November when they took over that tournament and owned the moment. Your thoughts welcomed.
Example Loyer 32 combined against Duke and Gonzaga
Furst 21 combined Smith 18 combined.

Last edited:
I've titled this on purpose as no matter how good Edey is , without a strong showing from his supporting teammates, he can't. I may be overstating the obvious here.... but I just wonder who is going to bring their A game and "Rise Above"
In the supporting cast. I am not suggesting that haven't been trying , however, outside of Jenkins and Edey , I don't know who is really " in the groove" so to speak. After watching another tremendous lead collapse yesterday and coaching had some impact on it for sure.....I just "don't get that feeling" I had in November when they took over that tournament and owned the moment. Your thoughts welcomed.
I am trying to be as optimistic as I can be right now. I think we will have two more guys step up at different points in this tourney. Possibly more. They are going to want to win as much as ANY other team. I told my husband yesterday, that it's not like the guys want to be missing shots. As upset as we might get, can you imagine how guys that are used to scoring feel? Let's just keep rooting for our guys and hoping for that special run starting Friday! Boiler up!

The shots they missed yesterday were wide open. Simply put, Purdue needs to shoot a meager 30% from three to get there. The 20% games likely yesterday ( and a number of other recent games) wonā€™t cut it. It does not sound like a big difference but itā€™s 6-9 more points per game depending on volume. Also three point misses provide run outs for the opposing team.

The shots they missed yesterday were wide open. Simply put, Purdue needs to shoot a meager 30% from three to get there. The 20% games likely yesterday ( and a number of other recent games) wonā€™t cut it. It does not sound like a big difference but itā€™s 6-9 more points per game depending on volume. Also three point misses provide run outs for the opposing team.
Most people get that, but we have gotten by against some brutal teams the past few days. Who would have thought that? But yes, we do need to be better.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Gillis has been reliable and we know he will always play hard and smart. Add him to the list.

Honestly, I have a feeling Purdue will go as far as the supporting cast can take them. I'm looking at these four guys: Mason Gillis, Braden Smith, David Jenkins, and Brandon Newman.

Zach will be a load for a lot of teams. But, my gut tells me those four guys hold the keys to a long Purdue run.

Just my $.02.

Honestly, I have a feeling Purdue will go as far as the supporting cast can take them. I'm looking at these four guys: Mason Gillis, Braden Smith, David Jenkins, and Brandon Newman.

Zach will be a load for a lot of teams. But, my gut tells me those four guys hold the keys to a long Purdue run.

Just my $.02.
I see your 2 cents and raise you 1 cent šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: rgarlitz
I am trying to be as optimistic as I can be right now. I think we will have two more guys step up at different points in this tourney. Possibly more. They are going to want to win as much as ANY other team. I told my husband yesterday, that it's not like the guys want to be missing shots. As upset as we might get, can you imagine how guys that are used to scoring feel? Let's just keep rooting for our guys and hoping for that special run starting Friday! Boiler up!
I agree, it has to be more than Zach. The supporting cast needs to make the necessary contributions. Will probably be something different every game.

Just my $.02.
I was going to post the same, luck I read all the replies to the ?. I agree 100%, it's not Edey it;s the supporting cast. Yesterday Smith 0-8, Loyer 1-6, Newman 1-6, Furst 1-5, and of course Morton 0-3 that's 3 for 28 !!!!

Not sure how you've missed Newmans emergence. Or Mason returning to scoring a bit. TKR is also better than he was most of the season.
I guess you missed the first 3/4 of the game that we dominated and got wide spread contributions.
Only thing STILL sucking is our work against a press...........

I see enough to give me hope again.
Don't need Loyer or Furst doing it, just need SOMEONE to do it.
And right now they are.

Reactions: lovelyblonde
We just need to focus on one game at a time. We have mismatches to exploit and have played against some of the best at every position. I can guarantee you that no teams we play (outside of repeats this year i.e. Duke, Marquette, etc.) have experienced the pressure Edey puts on an opposing defense. This should not be forgotten. I expect our guys to be locked in.

Win by 40 or by 1, you move on just the same.

I was going to post the same, luck I read all the replies to the ?. I agree 100%, it's not Edey it;s the supporting cast. Yesterday Smith 0-8, Loyer 1-6, Newman 1-6, Furst 1-5, and of course Morton 0-3 that's 3 for 28 !!!!
Wowza! I did not realize that!

I think there are some guys who need to be on the floor even if they aren't scoring a lot. Braden Smith is Purdue's top assist guy this year. Mason Gillis has a real nose for the ball around the rim. Brandon Newman is a great rebounding guard. I sense that David Jenkins is equal to the moment---not necessarily saying Fletcher Loyer isn't, just that Jenkins seems to be responding now.

Wowza! I did not realize that!

I think there are some guys who need to be on the floor even if they aren't scoring a lot. Braden Smith is Purdue's top assist guy this year. Mason Gillis has a real nose for the ball around the rim. Brandon Newman is a great rebounding guard. I sense that David Jenkins is equal to the moment---not necessarily saying Fletcher Loyer isn't, just that Jenkins seems to be responding now.
YEP!!! THIS/\

Unfortunately (any if you've read my posts over the years, this is not a new revelation), I think Painters offense of running through the low block with a back to the basket scorer is not what gets you deep into the tourney.
Granted, Edey is a unique player, but it's also much easier to neutralize a post player than it is dynamic perimeter scorers who can do a lot of things with the ball in their hands..

It's remarkable how bad, really BAD, these kids shoot at times. It's not like the D was overwhelmingly great either. Puzzling.

Reactions: indyogb
I think it's become a mental block (the "yips"; like Chuck Knoblauch unable to throw to first base from second).
ha ha. I was literally just thinking the exact same thing and couldn't remember the second baseman's name. The yips from the FT line, especially for Loyer or Smith is really concerning. It cost us a FF trip in 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT